Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of warranty question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The warranty on my 2018 Model 3 expires end of June. As far as I can tell the car is in good shape with no issues, other than the outstanding rear camera cable recall

— Should I go ahead and schedule a once over by Tesla before the warranty period ends? I’m sure there would be a cost but thinking it might be nice to get a status on everything before the warranty period ends

— I assume that I can still use the roadside assistance feature in the app if needed, although I expect things like towing and obviously fixing whatever broke will still cost, or should I get something like AAA? I have to admit for the two times I used the roadside assistance phone number, it definitely made life easier

— Does Tesla offer any kind of extended warranty? If the cars are as reliable as they claim, that should be a money maker for them :)

any other thoughts appreciated

...— Should I go ahead and schedule a once over by Tesla before the warranty period ends? I’m sure there would be a cost but thinking it might be nice to get a status on everything before the warranty period ends...
Good idea.
— I assume that I can still use the roadside assistance feature in the app if needed...
It's only included during the warranty. You are welcome to use it after it expires but it will cost you.

...Does Tesla offer any kind of extended warranty?...
It used to. The last offer is for S and X up to 2020 production. No 3/Y ever.

You might want to check:

Reactions: android04
I had a pre-warranty expiration inspection done by my local service center and, while they ended up doing it as a courtesy, I really don't think it was even worth that price.

They checked my tire tread (recommended replacement even though all were at 5/32 as well as alignment even though no indication of issues). Only because I made a point of it, they said they checked my underbody panels for trapped debris. That was it, other than the standard reseal of front upper control arm ball joints. They claim a general diagnosis with no trouble found but no details or inspection checklist.

What they'd quoted me for the work would've been unreasonable had they actually charged it for what they did so I would've demanded a detailed report of inspected items but, considering the car's in generally good shape, I let it slide at free and will take my chances.

YMMV

Reactions: TulsaCoker
The warranty on my 2018 Model 3 expires end of June. As far as I can tell the car is in good shape with no issues, other than the outstanding rear camera cable recall

— Should I go ahead and schedule a once over by Tesla before the warranty period ends? I’m sure there would be a cost but thinking it might be nice to get a status on everything before the warranty period ends

— I assume that I can still use the roadside assistance feature in the app if needed, although I expect things like towing and obviously fixing whatever broke will still cost, or should I get something like AAA? I have to admit for the two times I used the roadside assistance phone number, it definitely made life easier

— Does Tesla offer any kind of extended warranty? If the cars are as reliable as they claim, that should be a money maker for them :)

any other thoughts appreciated
I've had AAA roadside assistance for well over 20 years. I opted for the unlimited towing option. I pay just over $200 a year but it covers me, my wife and our daughter who lives in L.A. I live in a very rural area, but there are several AAA affiliated companies in my area so I've gotten quick service. I'm not sure how it works with Tesla because I've never had the need for roadside assistance (yet!), but the nearest Service Center is 109 miles away. If roadside assistance had to come that far, I'd probably have weeds growing up around the wheels by the time they got to me. Does anyone know how large Tesla's network of roadside assistance contractors is?

My 2018 Model 3 warranty ran out in March and while at present I am self-insured (but I might buy a third party policy) I would prefer to purchase a Tesla plan. Why would Tesla, which now offers full auto insurance coverage in my state while also offering extended warranties on the S an X, not offer a extended warranty policy for the 3? I've read a lot of threads on the warranty issue but still don't understand Tesla's reasoning.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
My 2018 Model 3 warranty ran out in March and while at present I am self-insured (but I might buy a third party policy) I would prefer to purchase a Tesla plan. Why would Tesla, which now offers full auto insurance coverage in my state while also offering extended warranties on the S an X, not offer a extended warranty policy for the 3? I've read a lot of threads on the warranty issue but still don't understand Tesla's reasoning.

Tesla doesn't offer then on S/X anymore either- 2020 was the last model year eligible.

I can think of a few reasons this might be true but none of them are especially good news.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Just a data point, but after owning four Teslas which required zero service over their 250,000 miles of my ownership, I would guess that the need for any repairs is far less than that required by gas-engine cars. This may be the reason they don't offer extended warranty these days.