Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End of Year at VIR - Testing Drivetrain Cooling - Updates for Next Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrapped up the 2020 Season with a finale at VIR. Saturday was great weather, ran four sessions, had a lot of rain Sunday morning, so ran three.

20201031_135036.jpg
20201031_135005.jpg

For this event I swapped the wheels and tires between cars - I put the Federal 595RS-PRO's on mine and the Hankook R-S4 on my wife's. Feedback - the Federal's come up to temperature much quicker, are more predictable, and have slightly higher overall grip. The Hankook's last forever, but I don't think they are really suited to the Time Attack style you run with an EV. I won't be buying them again.

At relatively low SOC (67% starting) I was able to set my fastest lap at VIR - a 2:08.01. Just two hundredths of a second would have put me into the 2:07's - dang!

The only other change to the car for this event was the MPP.R Nür Rear Drive Unit Oil Cooler. We saw rear drive unit oil temperatures drop considerably, as well as inverter and powertrain coolant temperatures. As the overall cooling system isn't working as hard, the whole system benefits from a change in one component. There is still work to be done to maintain full power from 100%-0% SOC, as the cooling system is very intricate, but this is a big step in the right direction. I'll be testing more components before the end of the year.

Here's some video from a fun session where I tried to keep with some new Porsche GT4 Clubsports. They definitely have the edge at high speeds, but they can't escape me in the corners!

I put an order in for a 2021 Model 3 Performance. Development on that will begin immediately for next year's season. I'm looking to take things to the next level, we'll be looking at losing some weight, increasing tire width, and more. It will be interesting to see how the changes Tesla has made affect the car on-track.

Finally, I wanted to share a project I've been working on to condense a lot of information into one place, www.trackmyev.com - the goal is to be a resource for people to come and learn about taking their EV on the track, whether it be a Tesla or perhaps something else. I'm going to try and get all of the known modifications uploaded on this website, so that people can provide feedback, reviews, and photos of their own experiences. I'd like for people to share their charging solutions for each track so others don't have to guess. I'm also going to be keeping track of lap times so that people can get an idea of what performance an EV has to offer. If there's something specific you would like to see, please let me know!

Together, my hope is that we can help to transition the racing community to Electric Vehicles - and bring aboard a whole lot of new people who wouldn't have considered it before!

So the MPP oil cooler doesn’t resolve the overheating issues 100% even in cooler temps?

Upon further analysis, it seems that both drive units and the battery all require additional cooling beyond stock. Each individual component helps, but I think the whole package may be required to solve it 100%.

That being said, it also depends on the model. For a LR RWD, an oil cooler on the RDU is all that is needed. For a Dual Motor Performance, the RDU Oil Cooler is not enough on its own.

EDIT: Also, as I've mentioned before it depends on your use case. If you're not pushing a Performance too hard it may not be an issue at all (as some others on here have reported). There's no one-size fits all solution so-to-speak.

Last edited:
Wrapped up the 2020 Season with a finale at VIR. Saturday was great weather, ran four sessions, had a lot of rain Sunday morning, so ran three.

View attachment 610802 View attachment 610803

For this event I swapped the wheels and tires between cars - I put the Federal 595RS-PRO's on mine and the Hankook R-S4 on my wife's. Feedback - the Federal's come up to temperature much quicker, are more predictable, and have slightly higher overall grip. The Hankook's last forever, but I don't think they are really suited to the Time Attack style you run with an EV. I won't be buying them again.

At relatively low SOC (67% starting) I was able to set my fastest lap at VIR - a 2:08.01. Just two hundredths of a second would have put me into the 2:07's - dang!

The only other change to the car for this event was the MPP.R Nür Rear Drive Unit Oil Cooler. We saw rear drive unit oil temperatures drop considerably, as well as inverter and powertrain coolant temperatures. As the overall cooling system isn't working as hard, the whole system benefits from a change in one component. There is still work to be done to maintain full power from 100%-0% SOC, as the cooling system is very intricate, but this is a big step in the right direction. I'll be testing more components before the end of the year.

Here's some video from a fun session where I tried to keep with some new Porsche GT4 Clubsports. They definitely have the edge at high speeds, but they can't escape me in the corners!

I put an order in for a 2021 Model 3 Performance. Development on that will begin immediately for next year's season. I'm looking to take things to the next level, we'll be looking at losing some weight, increasing tire width, and more. It will be interesting to see how the changes Tesla has made affect the car on-track.

Finally, I wanted to share a project I've been working on to condense a lot of information into one place, www.trackmyev.com - the goal is to be a resource for people to come and learn about taking their EV on the track, whether it be a Tesla or perhaps something else. I'm going to try and get all of the known modifications uploaded on this website, so that people can provide feedback, reviews, and photos of their own experiences. I'd like for people to share their charging solutions for each track so others don't have to guess. I'm also going to be keeping track of lap times so that people can get an idea of what performance an EV has to offer. If there's something specific you would like to see, please let me know!

Together, my hope is that we can help to transition the racing community to Electric Vehicles - and bring aboard a whole lot of new people who wouldn't have considered it before!

We understand that the "problem" is not yet solved, but what difference did you find before and after mounting the oil cooler in time on the track for overheating?

We understand that the "problem" is not yet solved, but what difference did you find before and after mounting the oil cooler in time on the track for overheating?

On a Performance, with no other supporting modifications, I would not expect the rear oil cooler to make a discernable difference in regards to current reduction. That is because on a Performance, the rear drive unit is not the first component to overheat.

On a LR RWD, the oil cooler alone will fully resolve the issue, as that IS the first component to overheat in that configuration.

To be honest, the LR RWD may be the best option for a Tesla "Spec" class or for 30-minute races. This is because a Performance cannot run for 30 minutes at 10/10ths - you'll run out of energy. At best, a Performance may be able to run a 25 minute race, but you'll be coming in at ~0% SOC.

Performance is great for Time Attack and Fast Laps - not great for wheel to wheel racing. I really think the LR RWD is the winner in that regard. As, to my understanding, that is what you are looking to do I would have to recommend that. They are also readily available and less expensive, so it would be easier to get people to build them. I'd be curious to know your thoughts.

• Informative
Reactions: Dolemite
Awesome Chris, congrats on that time. I just checked our IMSA Continental time from 2014 and the ST Caymans were doing around that time in the race (2:07s) and I did a 1:59 in the race in GS class. So that's pretty fast for a road car on street tires!

Yes for sure this oil cooler will not fix all of the issues for a performance car, nor will it make a huge difference by itself. We're simply taking out one weakest link at a time, and in the case of AWD as Chris has mentioned, the Rear Drive Unit actually isn't the weakest link initially. It is either the battery or the front-drive unit, depending on starting temperatures.

If you're not sure if you need an oil cooler, or if you think it will solve all of your overheating issues - please hold off until we show all of the testing results with further upgrades in the coming months so that you can make an educated decision and know exactly what you are getting. We don't want anyone to be unhappy with the results!

On a Performance, with no other supporting modifications, I would not expect the rear oil cooler to make a discernable difference in regards to current reduction. That is because on a Performance, the rear drive unit is not the first component to overheat.

On a LR RWD, the oil cooler alone will fully resolve the issue, as that IS the first component to overheat in that configuration.

To be honest, the LR RWD may be the best option for a Tesla "Spec" class or for 30-minute races. This is because a Performance cannot run for 30 minutes at 10/10ths - you'll run out of energy. At best, a Performance may be able to run a 25 minute race, but you'll be coming in at ~0% SOC.

Performance is great for Time Attack and Fast Laps - not great for wheel to wheel racing. I really think the LR RWD is the winner in that regard. As, to my understanding, that is what you are looking to do I would have to recommend that. They are also readily available and less expensive, so it would be easier to get people to build them. I'd be curious to know your thoughts.
Awesome videos. That was fun chasing those gt4. Did you have any other cooling upgrades besides the rear drive unit?