TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

End the Use of Front License Plates in Virginia

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by jthompson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Folks, I searched the Mid Atlantic forum and did not see a thread with the link to change.org for a petition to eliminate the front license plate requirement in Virginia. If it's already been posted I apologize!

Please sign the petition!

• Like x 2
  2. Only Trons

Only Trons Member

3. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I just noticed the Model S redesign incorporates the front license plate and will look really ugly without one.

4. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

There was a bill introduced this year in Maryland (HB425) that would have excepted vehicles from the requirement to display a front plate if the vehicle was designed without a means to secure and display the front plate.

From the legislative fiscal report: "According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, 19 states, including Delaware, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia, allow one registration plate to be issued. The remaining 31 states and the District of Columbia require two plates."

The bill failed as did similar attempts in 2012 and 2013.

Lanny

5. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

I signed this, but Lanny, wouldn't that still require a Tesla owner to have a plate in MD if it had passed? because they have a bracket that you can drill on to the front of your bumper if you choose to. What constitutes "designed without a means to secure and display the front plate"?

6. Lanny

Lanny @Lanny

@chickensevil, I think the MD bill's language is a way to frame it so that cars like the classic nosecone Model S that would need an adapter to attach a plate would qualify for an exemption. I copied the file when I was in Annapolis recently and there were letters of opposition from law enforcement. It's an uphill battle.

7. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Huh, I looked it up, because I never actually bothered, and the only reason to keep them is it makes the state more money due to a better ability to issue fines for violating tolls, parking, and things like red light/stop sign cameras.

http://frontplate.org/blog/wp-content/themes/FRNTPL8/inc/FrontLicensePlateMarketResearch-Comparison_of_FrontVersusDualLicensePlates.pdf

This website (frontplate.org) also claims safety for broken down vehicles as you get reflections off the front plate (that sounds like BS to me), and of course law enforcement being able to catch a front plate instead of a rear plate, which I am not entirely buying either. But yeah, looks like based on the study above that you can't really use the revenue argument to try and get them pulled as having a front plate helps the state make money more than it does to lose it...

Disappointing...

8. XHokie

XHokie Member

Signed and wish more would also sign. I am really not looking forward to drilling holes into my new Model X. :(

9. swengl

swengl Member

If you must have a front plate, here is a *future* solution for the Model X. I have the Model S version and it was very easy to install and I have had no issues since installation (it's great for washing the car as well, simply remove the plate, wash and put the plate back on. No Drill Tesla Model X Front License Plate