Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End XX Speed Limit Signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it. If you're going to take the time to erect the sign, why not just put one up that tells you exactly what the speed limit is so there is no guessing?

Couldn't agree more. I also miss the laws from Europe that state that a speed limit must be posted after pretty much any connecting road/exit. I hate getting on an unknown stretch of high/freeway and often having to drive many miles before the first sign shows up.

//TB

here's a fun one... I grew up going to a private preserve in PA, the roads were graded, but not paved, and the speed limit within most of the Preserve was 19 mph. Why 19? because if it was 20, people went 30. oh, and NO signage except near the community center where the speed limit was 5 due to how busy/crowded that area was (only about 1000 feet or so)

I don't get it. If you're going to take the time to erect the sign, why not just put one up that tells you exactly what the speed limit is so there is no guessing?
At least in Germany there are certain default speeds on certain roads. E.g. inside closed city/village etc. it's 50. Outside it's 100. There is for example no sign for the Autobahn that states unrestricted speed, there is only one which says all restrictions lifted and then there are rules on what kind of roads this means no speed limit.

We also have signs that end a limit, but there is a pretty obvious difference.

240px-Zeichen_274-56.svg.png
240px-Zeichen_278-56.svg.png

• Informative
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I was just in a neighborhood yesterday which had a posted 9½MPH limit. The car did not recognize it. They also had these cute little stop signs that were maybe six inches tall. I assume that these nonstandard markings are technically advisory and don't have the force of law.

On the topic of metric conversion, I was pretty pleased when I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago and the car not only recognized Canadian speed limit signs, but translated them to MPH for me on the display. Saved me the trouble of switching units and having to deal with kilometers on the navigation display and such.

• Informative
Reactions: CTShore

When it says "End speed limit" then unless you know otherwise you follow the statutory speed limit for the type of road you're on. (For example, in Maine, the statutory limits are 25mph in business and residential districts and 45mph on rural roads.) If you know otherwise you follow the previous marked speed.

If at some point in the future, the normal speed limit of the highway is changed they won't have to change the signs at the ends of the speed-restricted zone.

It makes signage easier and cheaper overall. Ironic, huh?

These kinds of signs are normal in other countries, although they're more obvious because the signs are more pictorial so there's a big slash showing the end of the limitation.

At least in Germany there are certain default speeds on certain roads. E.g. inside closed city/village etc. it's 50. Outside it's 100. There is for example no sign for the Autobahn that states unrestricted speed, there is only one which says all restrictions lifted and then there are rules on what kind of roads this means no speed limit.

There are default speeds in the USA as well.

We also have signs that end a limit, but there is a pretty obvious difference.

240px-Zeichen_274-56.svg.png
240px-Zeichen_278-56.svg.png

That's the kind of pictorial use I meant in my earlier post. Can't get more obvious than that. No confusion possible. Coming from the UK, I've never liked the USA's text-heavy signs.

The "End" sign appears because a small town on the highway has jurisdiction over the speed limits within their borders. At the edge of town to goes back to the default highway speed (80 kph / 50 mph here), so the town puts up a sign indicating the end of its speed zone.

Yes we have some of those around here, though I notice they are slowly falling out of favor. Probably because they are dumb.

this 'problem' was introduced with the AP 7.1 firmware. The camera reads the sign but the car has no way to know where is actually is so it defaults to the lowest speed limit (+5) when it thinks it is a "restricted" zone. You are free to try to notify tesla but they have not fixed any of the errors down here in Broward & Dade counties where parts of I595 & I75 are "restricted". Until (and if) Tesla creates a mechanism for reporting and fixing we are stuck with a degraded AP system.