Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Endless search for a MagSafe phone mount is over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh excellent looks good! I’ll see how the Spigen works out and consider this for a fallback. Not worried about the battery really as I get a new phone every year, 2 years at most. I’d be fine with the OEM charger really if it actually charged.
Good plan. I started holding onto phones 2-3 years now and that was the plan too with the 12 Pro Max but after 15 months the battery degraded to 83% and forced an upgrade. I blame the Tesla wireless charger in the Y because at times the 12PM became so hot the screen dimmed and the phone was unusable for 5-10 minutes. I prefer the faster wired charging option anyways. I look forward to the rumored ability to disable the wireless charging pad in the Y.

Since before picking up my MY, I have been searching for the best MagSafe phone mount. If the MY had regular vents, it wouldn’t had been a search.

It was between the Jowua foldaway MagSafe and the Spigen onetap MagSafe. I almost purchased the Spigen when it first came out. But if you look at the pictures for both of them, they are always mounted on/near the upper left corner of the screen. This location seems like it would be kind of annoying to mount a phone. It blocks your front view. It’s also in the way of the steering wheel or gear selector stalk.

After a couple of months of driving my MY, I knew where the best mounting place is, at least for me. The bottom left area of the screen. This eliminated the Spigen since it needs to be mounted to the corner due to its design.

I finally ordered the Jowua. It’s almost the perfect design for mounting where I wanted. When my iPhone is mounted there, I can still access the front center console, the wireless chargers, and cup holders. It’s not in the way. I can also rest my arm on the arm rest and utilize my phone, when car is parked of course. My iPhone is mounted very steadily.

This is a MagSafe mount and only works for iPhone 12 or newer. I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max with Apple leather case. Cases without MagSafe will not work as steadily and may fall off. iPhone 12 or newer without a case will also work. Other phone mounts, magnetic or clamp style, might also work if the mount is of similar design.
I have this and use it with an iPhone 13 pro max. I like it. Wish ball joints were stiffer so circular mount doesn’t change position since phone is heavy. Eventually circular piece angles downward. However if you play with rotating the circular mount you can find a position where if won’t be able to angle downwards. The adhesive is very strong so mount it correctly. They give you extra adhesive pad if you make a mistake but I have not been able to remove the armature from back of my infotainment screen 🤣.

From reading reviews of the phone mounts that rely on adhesive, e.g., Spigen and Jowua, a lot of the negative reviews indicate the adhesive ultimately failed, particularly in the heat. Wouldn't the Magbak have the same issue?

I've been using a vent mount similar to this Temai-branded one, which has worked relatively well. However, I have been in search of a magsafe/magnetic solution, and I've ordered both the dashboard and screen mount Spigen Onetap. I like the idea of it being screen-mounted, but I worry the adhesive will fail, particularly during these hot summer months.

Last edited:
From reading reviews of the phone mounts that rely on adhesive, e.g., Spigen and Jowua, a lot of the negative reviews indicate the adhesive ultimately failed, particularly in the heat. Wouldn't the Magbak have the same issue?

I've been using a vent mount similar to this Temai-branded one, which has worked relatively well. However, I have been in search of a magsafe/magnetic solution, and I've ordered both the dashboard and screen mount Spigen Onetap. I like the idea of it being screen-mounted, but I worry the adhesive will fail, particularly during these hot summer months.
My Jowua sticks very strongly even when cabin is 140 degrees. I wanted to take it off to remount as I did it a bit at an incorrect angle. Can’t get it off easily lol.

Reactions: JLOC

This is a valid concern regarding summer heat causing the adhesives to fail. Although my MagBak stayed on, it was a little crooked and was easy to remove because the adhesive was warm and pliable. I realigned the MagBak and readjusted the AC vents to blow more through the steering wheel and towards my upper torso. I didn’t realize it but somehow I had the vents pointed in the lowest position and never noticed it. Anyways, in the more centered position the vents keep me cool but also cool the MagBak, my iPhone, and the top left quadrant of the car screen. This should prevent any issues with adhesive melting/failing, as well as help cool the phone from all that direct sun exposure through the windshield.

For all the Uber/Lyft drivers, I wonder if mounting a phone high up in the dash leads to any sort of camera sensor damage from prolonged exposure to the sun?

This is a valid concern regarding summer heat causing the adhesives to fail. Although my MagBak stayed on, it was a little crooked and was easy to remove because the adhesive was warm and pliable. I realigned the MagBak and readjusted the AC vents to blow more through the steering wheel and towards my upper torso. I didn’t realize it but somehow I had the vents pointed in the lowest position and never noticed it. Anyways, in the more centered position the vents keep me cool but also cool the MagBak, my iPhone, and the top left quadrant of the car screen. This should prevent any issues with adhesive melting/failing, as well as help cool the phone from all that direct sun exposure through the windshield.

For all the Uber/Lyft drivers, I wonder if mounting a phone high up in the dash leads to any sort of camera sensor damage from prolonged exposure to the sun?
Thanks for the information. Sounds like even the Magbak is prone to its adhesion failing, absent the steps you took to reduce that risk.

A quick note to alert/warn folks that with the introduction of the iPhone 14 Pro, that a lot of the magsafe stuff on the market is not going to work. And that is because the camera pod is the largest (reaches farther down the phone than ever) and tallest (cases have a taller ridge to protect the lenses). Combined, this means that interference with Magsafe products is more likely than ever. The raw magsafe puck works fine. Leaves a couple of mm of clearance with a typical case. But once that puck is held with something that surrounds it, you're down to a VERY tight fit. If what holds the puck is square (like some shown in this thread) then you are out of luck. It WILL interfere with the camera pod.

pictures included.

1. Green apple case for 14 pro with Apple magsafe raw puck shows just how close it is with nothing else to hold the puck.
2. A Magsafe puck in a RAM mounts holder that only ads a very small amount of bulk around the puck. This leaves clearnace at less than 1 mm.
3. And here's what a typical puck-mounted stand does. Puck doesn't stick flat to the back. Sketchy charging and holding at best.

It is a bit odd that I don't see this mentioned more. But some folks ARE starting to notice it. You have to be really careful about which magsafe stuff you use for the iPhone 14 Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_8421.JPG
    IMG_8421.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_8426.JPG
    IMG_8426.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_8422.JPG
    IMG_8422.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 375
And now that I have your attention: I'm trying to find the best way to get a USB-C cord (from the Apple Magsafe puck) from the display where I have it mounted INTO the front cavity of my 2018 Model 3 console. The place where the factory USB ports are below the phone-holding pad. I've entered this area from the passenger side before, but I can't find a clean way to get that cord in on the driver side where all the actuator/dampers are for all the console lids. Does anybody have a magic way of getting a cord into that area from the driver side??

I just received this same mount yesterday for my iPhone 13 Pro Max (I have the clear Apple magsafe case). I have it mounted in the top left corner and mount my phone in landscape mode. The top of the phone when mounted just barely crosses over the bottom of the windshield when I'm looking forward, which I think is perfect.

One thing though.... I wish the magnets were a tad bit stronger. So far it hasn't fallen off, but it's only been one day and I haven't run over a big bump where it might fall off on impact. I have magsafe mounts in my other cars (I have ones that mount via the CD slot (who uses CDs nowadays) and the magnets on those I think are a tad weaker that Jowua's mount. On those other mounts, my phone has fallen off maybe twice due to me hitting a big pothole.

Also, I wish the ball socket was a bit tighter. It hasn't shifted when driving, but I can imagine over time it'll get looser.

Overall though, I think the Jowua mount is fine. If you use an any other iphone (12 or 13 only) besides the iPhone 13 Pro Max, it'll be perfect as it is lighter.
I’ve had the jowua for about 3 months. The ball socket could use a tighter design. I figured out a position where I have the small metal arm a bit pushed towards frunk and this allows the MagSafe area to face me when it is in lowest tilt essentially locking it in place. Works well.

Since before picking up my MY, I have been searching for the best MagSafe phone mount. If the MY had regular vents, it wouldn’t had been a search.

It was between the Jowua foldaway MagSafe and the Spigen onetap MagSafe. I almost purchased the Spigen when it first came out. But if you look at the pictures for both of them, they are always mounted on/near the upper left corner of the screen. This location seems like it would be kind of annoying to mount a phone. It blocks your front view. It’s also in the way of the steering wheel or gear selector stalk.

After a couple of months of driving my MY, I knew where the best mounting place is, at least for me. The bottom left area of the screen. This eliminated the Spigen since it needs to be mounted to the corner due to its design.

I finally ordered the Jowua. It’s almost the perfect design for mounting where I wanted. When my iPhone is mounted there, I can still access the front center console, the wireless chargers, and cup holders. It’s not in the way. I can also rest my arm on the arm rest and utilize my phone, when car is parked of course. My iPhone is mounted very steadily.

This is a MagSafe mount and only works for iPhone 12 or newer. I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max with Apple leather case. Cases without MagSafe will not work as steadily and may fall off. iPhone 12 or newer without a case will also work. Other phone mounts, magnetic or clamp style, might also work if the mount is of similar design.
I like this. I might buy a second unit and install in the same location. 👍

I know, old thread. 🙄

I have a Pixel Fold coming in a couple weeks and saw a bunch of Magsafe cases, so had to check them out. Since our Pixel 7 & 7P tend to overheat with the MY wireless charger, I think I'll design and 3d print an adapter using the Lisen Car Mount charger ($25 with coupon).

I'll play around with a vent charger (that would cool the phone in the summer) and an adapter that sits in the current phone tray (unplugged) in the Tesla. It took awhile to find a Magsafe charger that was inexpensive, yet had strong magnets. This one was the less thick and wouldn't need to saw plastic parts off.