Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enel X Juicebox Pro 40 middle-of-night-only problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting this hoping someone like @FalconFour who has JuiceBox Pro experience can lend me a hand.

All has worked well with my JuiceBox Pro for years, ever since I charged my 2011 Nissan Leaf with it back in 2015. I have one of the earlier models of JuiceBox, with the metal case and wifi delivered through an antenna at the bottom of the box.

BUT, within the last month, something like every 4-5 days, the car doesn't charge at night. I normally have it scheduled to finish charging at 6am. Previously, I had the car manage the schedule, but just to try to troubleshoot, I switched to letting the JuiceBox control it. Most days it works, but 25% of the time it doesn't, which is really aggravating.

In the JuiceBox app on my phone, the car shows correctly as plugged in 100% of the time. But, the way their app works, if no power is delivered during a session, that session is deleted from the app's logs. So, on the days I wake up and the car didn't charge, there's no row added to the list. That's after I verify before going to bed that it was "still connected" according to the app.

Today, I tried unplugging and replugging the JuiceBox from its 240v plug to the wall of my garage, and then I tried plugging and unplugging it a couple dozen times from the car, just to see if I could catch it not charging. It initiated charging every time. I also verified that the button on the j-1772 cable stops the car charging when it's depressed about halfway as the manual says it should. And it does.

I haven't yet waited to see the problem recur since unplugging and replugging the JuiceBox from the wall, so maybe that's going to solve it. But I was curious to hear other suggestions. I'm hoping to avoid buying a replacement. I'm also 99% sure this isn't the car's fault, as this never happens if I plug it in a different way.

Eugh. You should definitely start with having the car manage the schedule. That's always more reliable. The box "schedules" simply by holding the signal in "not ready to charge" state, and hoping the car will eventually wake-up and react when the signal goes to "ready to charge" state. Most cars do, at least. But the way JB does it is also... less than ideal (entirely server- and wifi-controlled in real time for scheduling - so if you have the schedule on an even hour, it's blobbed all together with everyone else picking that same hour, server congestion, etc).

Curious if you were to just leave the scheduling on the car and set the box to always charge (disable scheduling). Also, take a peek into the web interface at Login - JuiceNet Home for another interface to the same data.

I'll note, though, that even I've noticed the car not perform scheduled charging as instructed... but I was using their own dang cord (the Tesla cord). I dunno how common that experience is - is Tesla's charge scheduling just as sketchy as their media controls? Hmm...

Not to rule out possible hardware problems, but the various settings can get in the way.

My JuiceBox is set to charge when the grid is on the greenest and least expensive energy sources and still finish before a target time. Since Tesla would take that startup delay as a signal to give up on the charger, the JuiceBox charges at a low power until its chosen time if it knows it's charging a Tesla. So every time I plug in to the JuiceBox, I open the app, pick the car, and set the initial and target charge % so it can calculate about how long charging will take.

(The charge % settings are particularly helpful for our Leaf which doesn't have a way to set its own charge % limit.)

The Tesla can be set to delay so that it reaches the target charge % shortly before a departure time. It worked when I tried it (once) with the JuiceBox, but is it reliable when both devices are trying to delay charging?