Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy consumption again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone knows if the energy consumption calculation includes pre heating and heating while driving?

I am pretty sure that I charged to 90% on my LR RWD Model 3. Now 50kms driven, I am down to less than 250. Tesla screen says I drove 53kms with 291 Wh/km and spend 16kwh.

In the other words, ppl are saying the heating could cost 6.5kw per hour. I believe that I spend 2 hours total with this 53kms driving, and some pre heating. 16+13 about 30kwh. Then it is about right.

F1113D85-4360-4A24-AF4B-5ED92D353AF7.jpeg

The Wh/km and kWh includes heating while driving but I don't think it includes energy spent preheating before driving.

According to that you spent 16kWh while driving not sure about your extra 13kWh but if that was used it was either sentry mode, phantom drain, preheating or cold battery and not driving consumption.

Edit: Or car was not charged to 90%.

The Wh/km and kWh includes heating while driving but I don't think it includes energy spent preheating before driving.

According to that you spent 16kWh while driving not sure about your extra 13kWh but if that was used it was either sentry mode, phantom drain, preheating or cold battery and not driving consumption.

Edit: Or car was not charged to 90%.

I pretty shall that I charged to 90%. And morning heating is while plugin so it shall not consume battery power. I did 30 minutes waiting in the car not driving plus 15mins pre heating in the evening. But if heating is included in driving already the number still does not add up.

I pretty shall that I charged to 90%. And morning heating is while plugin so it shall not consume battery power. I did 30 minutes waiting in the car not driving plus 15mins pre heating in the evening. But if heating is included in driving already the number still does not add up.

Was the car/battery cold and what is your charger power/amps. Recent update will run battery heater while heating and plugged in if battery is cold. On AWD this is 7-7.5kw and on RWD 3.5kW. So for me pre-heating while plugged in with 32A charger will deplete battery now especially at the start since I have AWD.

I have a RWD and 40A charger.

Oh ok, then that shouldn't be the issue.

So I assume 90% charge for you is somewhere between 430km and 470km. About 100km of range would be used for the drive. The heating while not driving is not included in the numbers, so you can calculate how much that is, maybe 20-30km. So that would give maybe 450-106-30 = 314. But your battery has snowflake icon so some of the energy will be unavailable. So maybe another 20km for that. 314-20=294km. Your car is showing 244km. So 50km of rated range unaccounted for. Does all that match up with your experience for the day?

Edit: The numbers work out almost exactly right if your car was charged to 80% instead of 90%.

With the temperatures this week (-10C or more); to drive 50kms, you need typically 1.5 to 1.6 km of battery displayed to travel 1.0km. Your numbers are very high.

100km commute will eat 160kms. Throw in sentry drain another 30-40kms. Preheating in the evening probably 10-20kms. Typical winter day will use close to ~200km display to travel 100kms. Not using sentry is a huge thing if you can avoid it.

What cabin temperature are you setting to?

On a long drive (Toronto to Montreal), I find very little difference in Wh/km setting from 18C to 21C. A lot of short drives, there's a huge difference due to huge use of energy to heat the car cabin.