Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption Bug? 130 wh/mi Winter Drives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Past couple ride I have noticed what I think is a strange software bug. If the car is on level ground and at constant speed my energy consumption will register as zero on the consumption graph. If I accelerate or am driving on an incline it will register something but once back on level ground It will drop to a steady 0 wh/mi and stay there. So because of this I am seeing crazy efficient drives on a cold soaked battery in 20 degree weather with the heat set to 70. I'm assuming it is a software bug however rebooting has not solved the problem. My only concern is that it may be somehow affecting the BMS in how it calculates things but my rated range I think appears to be still showing correctly so far for the most part. I've never seen anything like this happen on any Tesla I've driven. The problem makes the energy graph useless so I'm hoping to it goes away quickly. So far I've made bug reports while driving and also called Tesla to see if they would want to check anything on the car remotely but over the phone the kind of blew it off and set up a service appointment. I'm sure they are getting plenty of calls about energy consumption with the flood of new owners but I doubt anyone is calling because consumption is way too low. Going to stop by the SC in person to see if they want to check logs quick before going through with dropping off the car for what might be a simple software bug.

Aside from a software bug can anyone think of what would cause something like this, a faulty sensor or something?

Software Ver. 2018.50 7e49f8a

IMG_9577.jpg
IMG_9583.jpg

Not positive, but it looks like you are in regen limited and what you may be seeing is the limiting, not allowing it to go below zero. My guess why you may be confused at why the flat isn't registering is that it may be a slight downhill. The fact that I'm not seeing one or two accelerations during that period is what leads me to believe that it is a downhill.

But yes, could be a sensor, you've got a TPMS issue, so time to kill two problems with one visit.

Not positive, but it looks like you are in regen limited and what you may be seeing is the limiting, not allowing it to go below zero. My guess why you may be confused at why the flat isn't registering is that it may be a slight downhill. The fact that I'm not seeing one or two accelerations during that period is what leads me to believe that it is a downhill.

But yes, could be a sensor, you've got a TPMS issue, so time to kill two problems with one visit.

That flat line was on straight level ground the entire time. It’s a long 14 mile stretch or road I commute on frequently and the line is typically flat there but never at zero. The TPMS issue has been going on for about a month since I swapped to snow tires and wheels which either have missing or faulty tpms sensors. The energy issue seems to have cropped up after the recent update I believe. Prior to that energy usage was normal for cold weather driving. In all my experimentation since I noticed the issue it seems to register zero consumption when I’m at a constant speed and level ground. So basically whenever the energy draws is constant it will show zero. Changes in acceleration or power draw from going uphill will register on the graph but once the draw remains constant it drops back to zero at any speed. One thing to note, my car is a RWD car that was affected by the snow tire bug and I had little to no Regen after swapping to snow tires up until this recent update which brought Regen back. I’m wondering if maybe fixing that bug brought up another bug but in the energy graph this time? Tesla pulled logs this morning and will review them.