TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Energy Consumption Driving at Speed Limit

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by iKhalid, Apr 12, 2015.

1. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Hello,

I almost forgot the efficiency when driving in a nice day temperature-wise. Finally, we got a really nice weather today (17°C /62F) and I was driving on the highway at 100km/h (62mph). As far as I remember from last year, driving at this speed should be around the rated line, but I noticed today driving for 20km that I was at 150Wh/km (242Wh/mile). That's a really low number.

Did Tesla change anything in the past few months?

I hope people from the south can comment on this.

Thanks!

2. lphe

lphe Member

Using Tesla range calculator at their web site, the estimated range of an 85D at 65 mph at 70 F is 295 miles. The maximum energy you can get from the battery is about 75 kWh. 75 / 295 = 0.254 kWh/mile. So you are getting the expected mileage for the car.

3. loco

loco Member

Driving downwind maybe?

4. krisg81

krisg81 Member

If the calculator isn't accounting for weight in vehicle, elevation changes, and wind - then that is complete BS. In my P85D yesterday I averaged 65MPH with no AC on, 72F and barely got 210 miles out of a full charge. P85D all options and 21' staggered wheels and Michelin PS2 tires.