Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption On Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect there are many potential buyers of Model 3s that really don't care about the supercharger network. As a two-vehicle family, we are very unlikely to ever take a trip in a Model 3 that is beyond its basic range. We might drive it from Portland to Seattle, but not down to SF. Overnight charging, even from a 110v outlet, will be just fine.

Assuming the outlet is 120v with a 15a breaker with NOTHING on the circuit, you will safely add about 5 miles per hour, or 50 miles in 10 hours.

So for a trip to Seattle at freeway speeds, I'd suggest charging it 24 hours if using a wall outlet. It won't be full charge, but it will get it done.

You need to understand how sadly slow 120v charging is,

PS - and everybody in the USA needs to stop the 110v bull. We do not have 110v service in the USA that I'm aware of, and many devices can actually be damaged by sustained 105v supply (110v under load). You have 240 volts that is split into either 2 or 3 phases. It's NOT 200v 3ph. It's NOT 220v split phase. If you are getting that at the panel, get it fixed.

Reactions: u00mem9
Elon was pretty specific saying "ALL Teslas"....He didnt say all Model S/X.
I agree with you on the quote of Elon.. BUT <----------and that's a big BUT

BUT.....the M3 deliver dates are over a year away. Do you realize how many Tesla options could change in a year? There are options that haven't even come out yet that will change options that already exist.

Will you check off the magnetic hovering option on your M3? Oh yeah..sshhhh...that isn't out yet. That option will be called the PEE. ( Pothole Elimination and Evasion )

Assuming the outlet is 120v with a 15a breaker with NOTHING on the circuit, you will safely add about 5 miles per hour, or 50 miles in 10 hours.

So for a trip to Seattle at freeway speeds, I'd suggest charging it 24 hours if using a wall outlet. It won't be full charge, but it will get it done.

You need to understand how sadly slow 120v charging is,

PS - and everybody in the USA needs to stop the 110v bull. We do not have 110v service in the USA that I'm aware of, and many devices can actually be damaged by sustained 105v supply (110v under load). You have 240 volts that is split into either 2 or 3 phases. It's NOT 200v 3ph. It's NOT 220v split phase. If you are getting that at the panel, get it fixed.

110v service isn't bull. Some homes still have 110v service. There are "tons" of homes in Chicago that have the old fused 110v service. New homes don't. Read section 1 below.

Home Electrical Systems: 4 Questions You Should be Able to Answer

Last edited:
A quick estimate of you assume base model will be 215 miles for 60kwh: 280wh/mile

Also let's assume the biggest battery you can get would be 90kwh: 320 mile range

That's not too shabby. Guess we'll have to wait for part 3 to get all the energy consumption details.

Do we have already some data facts from early adopters about consumption?
Some of the newer youtube videos (with the newer firmware that indicates average consumption), seem to hover around 255-275 Wh/mile (162-171 Wh/km).

Tesla podcast road trip, with real world speeds (65-70mph cruise) and real world terrain, consumption was ~307 Wh/mile (181 Wh/km) on the Palo Alto to Kettleman City supercharger leg.

Reactions: MissAutobahn
Just found another data point (2:13 time marker):
[...]
It appears the LR has AT LEAST 80kWh available!

Idk. Is there any reason to think that those "Trip A" numbers are all from a single charge?

upload_2017-12-18_14-43-17.png

I have read many recent owner reports ranging from ~240 Wh/mi for commuting to ~310 on the Palo Alto - Kettleman trip. The average 275 Wh/mi is probably a good number implying a range of 284 miles (usable 78.2 kWh). Sounds reasonable to me, although much depends on driving style, conditions, hwy/city etc..