Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption On Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have already some data facts from early adopters about consumption?
Realistically, the numbers are all over the place depending on speed, 19" wheels vs.18" wheels, aero covers or no aero covers, climate, elev. change, etc.

My opinion is the number is around 255 to 265 Wh/mi at 70/75 mph, flat land, mild climate, no wind with 18" wheels and aero covers. Maybe 265 to 280 Wh/mi under same conditions with 19" Sportwheels. YMMV.

I get 270Wh/mi @75mph in my P85.. I would hope that the Model 3 is more efficient than that.

Attachments

• 2YHWnDJ.jpg
    2YHWnDJ.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: jerjozwik
An Electrek article from July noted that the Tesla website briefly contained reference to the Model 3 efficiency in the mileage estimator.

The efficiency rating was 237 wh/m, and I assume this is best case scenario (smaller battery and aero wheels).

Physics-based models using public specs and engineering estimates then calibrated with EPA submission data. No empirical Model 3 data yet.
220 Wh/mi @65 mph is pretty low. The lowest real world I've read about was 240 Wh/mi for an owner while commuting. Of course this wasn't cruising at steady hwy speed. All other Wh/mi at hwy speeds (75/80/90) were much higher than in your figure. I've seen 255-300 so your estimates seem pretty low to me. I'd love to see them in the real world, though.

EDIT: I looked at your graph in more detail and noticed the consumption Whs are going up fairly quickly with speed. So 220@65 might be realistic after all. Would be great!

Last edited:
Realistically, the numbers are all over the place depending on speed, 19" wheels vs.18" wheels, aero covers or no aero covers, climate, elev. change, etc.

My opinion is the number is around 255 to 265 Wh/mi at 70/75 mph, flat land, mild climate, no wind with 18" wheels and aero covers. Maybe 265 to 280 Wh/mi under same conditions with 19" Sportwheels. YMMV.
If your estimate for the Aero wheels is accurate, the Sport wheels will at least use 10+% more energy. Probably 15+% more since the EPA testing shows 10+% more at 50mph for the Sport wheels.

• Funny
Reactions: ölbrenner
I’ll add my experience so far with 300 miles we averaged 300 Wh/Mile. 19inch wheels.

Some cavities 1) Took an 80 mile round trip to SF late at night at ~80MPH. 2) Home is up hilll and every time we start our driving we get the “limited regen” all the way down the hill. Probably loosing some effiency there.

235/40/19 or 235/45/18?

and if 18", can we assume aero covers on?