Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Consumption per mile (Wh/mi) map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that the map does not indicate results from Leaf drivers in each portion of the country. The map was determined only from regional temperature data applied to the energy consumption versus ambient temperature curve that the authors calculated from the dataset of reported average driving range versus ambient temperature. There would have to be an assumption of what was the wH capacity of the battery corresponding to that range value in order to get wH/mi. If the as-new capacity was assumed, that would overstate the wH/mi.

Yes, the map includes several simplifications and assumptions. If it used actual reported wh/mi (the LEAF console reports miles per kwh, so you invert it) from drivers, it might show much different results. My lifetime usage on my LEAF (over 22k mi.) is 227 wh/mi, location is in central Alabama (I only need the heat a few days a year; also no interstate driving); this value is completely off the scale of the map.

- - - Updated - - -

I promise you there are mountains in East TN and West NC, Smoky Mountain Natl Park. Probably no terrain data for leaf. Also I live in a rural area which results in a lot of two lane 55mph driving which strongly reduces my avg wh/m.

Lower speeds do help dramatically. Also, I expect that an EV doesn't have a huge penalty for mountains, because you get energy back when descending.