Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy consumption stats from fellow Canadians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I hate to start a new thread with this but the timing just happens to be right for me. I currently have my P85 at the Laval service center getting some work done. They've given me their 60 loaner while it is being serviced.

I've noticed a couple of things:
  • There is almost ZERO wind noise on this (the loaner) car. My car has very significant wind noise.
  • There is a new rubber gasket on at least the rear doors which I'm sure reduces road noise. (The loaner is VIN 10000+, mine is 5541)
  • With the same driving style, I'm getting consumption of less than 200 Wh/km on average on the 60 loaner. My P85 is normally around 225 Wh/km.

For the wind noise, I'm hoping it will be fixed by adjusting the gaskets on the sunroof (my sunroof stopped working, that's why the car is at the service center). It was getting very loud and intrusive. But I remember there being wind noise even when the car was brand new, it's just gotten worse since the sunroof broke.

I spoke to Greg at the service center and there is no retrofit for the new gasket on the doors unfortunately. (Can't believe I even noticed that -- I wash my car a lot. :))

The consumption, however, is what concerns me more. I'm driving exactly the same way on the 60 as I do on my P85. Granted I can't accelerate quite as fast, but the 60 is still a great mover, I'm impressed. I normally cruise at 115 km/h on the highway, and I don't accelerate slowly. When talking to Greg about it, he said that it's normal the P85 takes more energy because it's heavier. But should it really take 12.5% more energy because of that? Hence the reason for my post. Could people with 60/85/P85 please report what kind of consumption you're getting in Canadian (I'm in Montreal) weather these days and what speed you're cruising at on the highway? When on the highway at 115 km/h, my instantaneous consumption is around 195 Wh/km which is awesome compared to my P85.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a redundant post!

- Rob

You should really just checkout the Lifetime avg Wh/mile thread in the battery and charging section of the Model S subforum. :)

I'm @ 225Wh/km since I got the car (p85 as well). ~7500km so far.

My average since taking off my winter tires (I believe this was around the beginning of May) was 201Wh/km until I took it on the track at which point it jumped up to 217Wh/km.

I'll have to check but I think I probably get something very close to 200Wh/km @ 115km/h... Although, it's hard to know when the ground is perfectly flat.

I think the tires account for the bulk of the difference between the 60 and the p85...

Here I'll link to it...
Lifetime Average Wh/mi - Page 32

Looks like 60Kwh with 19's avg 315Wh/mile vs.
85kWh with 21's avg 364Wh/mile.

13.4% difference, which is actually slightly higher than what you are seeing. :)

Converting into Wh/km the averages become 196Wh/km and 226Wh/km.

Last edited:
There have been similar reports of lower consumption by the 60 kWh cars elsewhere on the forum. I don't recall the percentage.

I also find there is some wind noise from the front, which has always been there but may be a little worse. I'm not certain where the source is but it may be the sunroof.

Hi Rob,

I suspect that most of the difference that you are seeing is because your car has the 21" wheels and your loaner has 19" wheels (with lower rolling resistance tires). I know I've seen just about that much of a difference between my 21" and 19" wheels. Is that correct?

Peter

Just posted this screen shot in another thread, but it is appropriate here. I re-set Trip A at the beginning of each month (so it currently represents June up to today) and Trip B is pretty much my lifetime stat (I re-set it shortly after getting the car). Sorry for the US units... I am not a fan of Metric, but you can do the math.

As far as wind noise goes, I sometimes get a tiny bit from the driver's side little triangle of glass by the side mirror, and even had a trickle of water come in there once at a car wash... but it's not bad. I do a lot of freeway driving and feel that the road/wind/whatever noise is no better than my previous Cadillac CTS.

A comment on the pano roof: It works fine except I get a stream of goop on the rear glass after opening/closing. This is the first roof I've had that opens over the rear panel and hence is above the roof-line when opened. I was driving home on the freeway the other night, and some motion caught my peripheral vision. It was the glass actually moving/vibrating/jumping up and down a bit from wind turbulence as I drove (it was open to the 80% point on the slider). I had visions of it ripping off and flying into the car behind me, so I closed it! Is this normal for these types of roofs? Otherwise it seems to work fine, seals tight when closed etc.

IMG_1247.JPG

Thanks for the replies all!

After reading this and peeking at the lifetime average thread, it's definitely the tires. My numbers from my P85 (with 21s) and the 60 loaner are super close to what you guys are talking about, so that has to be it. I'm amazed that the tires make that much of a difference. 12-14% is not small in my opinion -- should Tesla be more open with this info I wonder?

As for the pano roof, I also was getting goop on the rear moonroof glass. I was told by Tesla service that earlier production cars (mnx, your VIN is close to mine) were given too much goop at the factory and that they've since reduced the amount of goop they put in the pano roof tracks.

Greg told me that it could be a half-millimeter adjustment for the wind noise, so it sounds to me like later production cars had some rubber gasket tweaks. Greg assures me they'll do a road-test and eliminate as much wind noise as possible.

Interesting that he didn't know about the effects of 21s vs. 19s. We (the TMC members) as a collective whole have a lot more info about our cars than many of the service reps methinks. :)

You'll notice there is still a noticeable difference between the 85 with 19's and the 60 with 19's. I'm guessing this has as much to do with the 85/p85 fun factor pulling more power (and aggressive drivers purchasing the p85 etc.) than the 1-200lb weight difference between the cars. Hard to know for sure though...

It's fairly tucked away, but it is on the Tesla site at Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors . Just click the wheel icon.

Peter

Thanks for the replies all!

After reading this and peeking at the lifetime average thread, it's definitely the tires. My numbers from my P85 (with 21s) and the 60 loaner are super close to what you guys are talking about, so that has to be it. I'm amazed that the tires make that much of a difference. 12-14% is not small in my opinion -- should Tesla be more open with this info I wonder?

It's fairly tucked away, but it is on the Tesla site at Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors . Just click the wheel icon.

Peter

Thanks Pete, I found it. Interesting that you have to be in the United States region for that page to work... The Canadian version shows some older info about Roadster and charging.

So they show 283 vs 301 miles of range. A difference of about 6%. Real world is showing about 12-14%, but we won't split hairs. :)

I was thinking I'd see improvement with my 19" winters, but I have "spikes" on mine, so that probably adds a lot of resistance. And the cold weather will not help either.

We have a 60 with 19" wheels and have been consistent around 185 wh/km since getting the car. Weather has been consistently mild so little to no HVAC. As others have said the 21's and the extra weight of the larger battery should make up the differences you are seeing.

Trips.PNG

I seem to be on the high side of things for my 60 and am at 208 kmh/km, over 4500km. Perhaps I need to be a little lighter on the pedal - but it is so fun! :/

Tomanic, that is a nice gragh - was it automatically generated?

I wrote up a web app that I can enter trip data into so I can keep a running log. Just pull up the page from my favorites in the web browser and type in the data.

entrypage.PNG

tomanik,

That's a good looking app! Have you tried to integrate it with the REST API to get stats from the car automagically?

Thanks, was hoping to share it one day as there is lots that could be done with more data from other people and their electric cars. I have looked at the api and would love to make use of them as there is a lot that could be done however I am going to wait until tesla provides a real 3rd party authentication model. I do not want the liability of having the username and password for people's cars, there err way to many malicious people out there and this site provides lots of opportunities for social engineering.

Also sorry for side tracking your thread. :)

Just out of curiosity, how do the P85+ tires fare in this regard? Tesla's blurb on the P+ package states that it actually improves range compared to the standard 21" wheels.

Last edited:
Doug, do you by any chance have a running TRIP meter since you got the car with overall Wh/km since you got it? I'm at 246...

Yes... but unfortunately my touchscreen was replaced, so the early part of the winter has been lost (the first 4,500 km of 12,000 km to date). I'm at 266.

I only try to drive efficiently when I'm on a road trip. The rest of the time I have a pretty heavy foot. :biggrin: