Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy consumption stats from fellow Canadians

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have left Trip B alone since just after getting the car, and re-set Trip A at the beginning of each month. I also log the energy from my TED energy monitor at the same time.

My lifetime stats are: 7,975.6 miles / 2,629.1 kWh / 330 Wh/mi (from early March, 2013).

My June stats are: 2,048.1 miles / 623.0 kWh / 304 Wh/mi

What I find interesting is even though I do some "opportunity charging" away from home, my TED is showing more energy use than the car is reporting. For example, in June the car reports 623 kWh but my TED shows 719 kWh of use. I know there is the "vampire loss" but I would have thought with my away from home charging (which unfortunately I haven't been tracking) I would at least break even on these numbers. So according to my energy monitor, and not accounting for the "free" electricity I got during the month, my June consumption (from the wall) is actually 351 Wh/mi (not the 304 that the car is reporting). (I guess I need to do more "opportunity charging" :smile:)

I have left Trip B alone since just after getting the car, and re-set Trip A at the beginning of each month. I also log the energy from my TED energy monitor at the same time.

My lifetime stats are: 7,975.6 miles / 2,629.1 kWh / 330 Wh/mi (from early March, 2013).

My June stats are: 2,048.1 miles / 623.0 kWh / 304 Wh/mi

What I find interesting is even though I do some "opportunity charging" away from home, my TED is showing more energy use than the car is reporting. For example, in June the car reports 623 kWh but my TED shows 719 kWh of use. I know there is the "vampire loss" but I would have thought with my away from home charging (which unfortunately I haven't been tracking) I would at least break even on these numbers. So according to my energy monitor, and not accounting for the "free" electricity I got during the month, my June consumption (from the wall) is actually 351 Wh/mi (not the 304 that the car is reporting). (I guess I need to do more "opportunity charging" :smile:)

I think the reason your TED meter is showing more energy usage than your car is consuming is that the charging process isn't 100% efficient. There is loss in the chargers (and other circuitry?) which prevents all of the energy from getting from the breaker/TED meter to the batteries.

- - - Updated - - -

overall since feb 17th, I have 206 Wh/km for about 12,000 km... I figure out that longer trips reduce the average consomption. 240 or more looks like winter numbers for me...

Stephane,

I think your numbers are so "good" is partly because of that long Boston trip you took which must have been averaging below 200 Wh/km if you were travelling around 105 km/h right?

I think the reason your TED meter is showing more energy usage than your car is consuming is that the charging process isn't 100% efficient. There is loss in the chargers (and other circuitry?) which prevents all of the energy from getting from the breaker/TED meter to the batteries.

For sure. That and the standby losses. I guess I just didn't think it would be that much (again, given that I do juice up away from home too). I'm going to try and keep on top of my away-from-home numbers as best as I can. ChargePoint gives me a nice little summary on the web site, but I often use other chargers that don't have that capability, so will just have to note time, voltage and amps and do the math.