Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Cost in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Energy cost from ShellEnergy is going to increased by the 1st April. I am now looking forward to get Solar Panel + Powerwall battery.
Martin Louis (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/) said that the Energy rate is going to increase also at a similar rate in October.
My Rate for ShellEnergy:
Now
: 20.140p/kWh and 24.38p/day (+39%) => £1850/year
By the 1st April: 28.020p/kWh and 42.24p/day (+73%) => £2290/year (+24%)
What are the energy rate (on the market) when you've got an EV for the main suppliers like ShellEnergy, Octopus, EDF, Etc.?

Octopus will accept you over the phone and so long as you have a SMETS2 meter (or secure SMETS1) plus iOS and a Tesla you should be able to connect to intelligent octopus straight away. I also moved over from EDF (was pushed to them after utility point went bust) and the transition took a month from start to finish so I would get on with it asap. The lovely people at Octopus also let me join on their standard flexible tariff rather than trying to push me onto a more expensive fixed one.

PS you can find a click link to my octopus referral in my profile posts ;)

Upvote 0
Did you manage to sign up? Says not taking new customers when I try to join.
Hi, sorry missed this, yes signed up today - had to call up and they added your referral manually thanks.
Two issues, although I'm due to go live on 27th, it will be two weeks after this minimum for Go to kick in - rates before that are 43p Day & 27p Night!! (Which I can live with for a short time).
Secondly, I asked if the Go rates were guaranteed now I'm swapping supplier, the response was it could change between now and the Go element going live.
So the dilemma is keeping an eye on the Go rate between now and 23rd (last day to cancel), hoping nothings changes before then and also during the transition period.
I'd certainly be peeved if that went up further and I can't return the EDF 20:20 rates.

Upvote 0
Hi, sorry missed this, yes signed up today - had to call up and they added your referral manually thanks.
Two issues, although I'm due to go live on 27th, it will be two weeks after this minimum for Go to kick in - rates before that are 43p Day & 27p Night!! (Which I can live with for a short time).
Secondly, I asked if the Go rates were guaranteed now I'm swapping supplier, the response was it could change between now and the Go element going live.
So the dilemma is keeping an eye on the Go rate between now and 23rd (last day to cancel), hoping nothings changes before then and also during the transition period.
I'd certainly be peeved if that went up further and I can't return the EDF 20:20 rates.
What I would add to all these switching conversations is to be very careful on the gas side of things. No mention in this thread if people are just moving their electricity supply and leaving has as is or moving gas.

Gas on the price cap is 4p going up to 7p in April and will go up again in Oct. But when I looked to move this week to Octopus the gas quote was around 12p! So if you move both you will be net worse off if you have a gas boiler. (For me my gas bill is probably 40% of my energy bill).

So, just be careful on gas rates.

I agree that over 12 months the Octopus Go rates now will be better than the price cap over the same period.

Reactions: ACarneiro and 94jdh
Upvote 0
What I would add to all these switching conversations is to be very careful on the gas side of things. No mention in this thread if people are just moving their electricity supply and leaving has as is or moving gas.

Gas on the price cap is 4p going up to 7p in April and will go up again in Oct. But when I looked to move this week to Octopus the gas quote was around 12p! So if you move both you will be net worse off if you have a gas boiler. (For me my gas bill is probably 40% of my energy bill).

So, just be careful on gas rates.

I agree that over 12 months the Octopus Go rates now will be better than the price cap over the same period.
Yes agreed, I've kept my Gas with EDF - and will be using the log burner more in the future

Upvote 0
Back in 2019 when we had our solar and PowerWall setup installed we pondered if it would ever be justifiable financially but did it anyway on environmental grounds. it’s panned out rather well. Charge two cars on alternate nights (only one 7kW Tesla Wall Connector) and fill the PowerWall on 5.5p for 5 hrs each night. We’ll have to move up to a higher rate at renewal sometime this year but it’s still paying dividends. Had a fair bit of solar last couple of weeks too and in summer the free stuff coming from the sky will seem fabulous. We loved Octopus Agile in 2020 into 21 but switched to Go Faster when Agile went down the toilet price wise. You kind of feel like you’re armed with the tools to play the game which is satisfying. Still never really worked out the payback point but charging 2 well used cars in winter and powering a house with about £80 of electricity bill per month in the dead of winter when diesel and electricity are rocketing with no respite in sight…… summer will be interesting this year.

Permission to be smug requested.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Upvote 0
when we had our solar and PowerWall setup installed we pondered if it would ever be justifiable financially but did it anyway on environmental grounds. it’s panned out rather well.

Me too. Everything Green I have done has paid off ... although, at the time, my mates mostly rolled their eyes and on the floor ... then subsequent turned green (colour, not environment, sadly)

Back in 2009 replaced failing oil boiler with biomass (logs), accumulator and solar thermal. Hugely expensive, wife and I sucked our teeth a fair bit, but I didn't want to buy another oil boiler and be stuck with it for 20 years. By following winter the price of Oil had gone up 70%, by the next winter 250% where it stayed for the next 5 years. That paid for the increased cost of my green-option, over a straight oil boiler replacement.

Had several VW Blue Motion Golfs in a row, then discovered that I had been lied and cheater by VW Dieselgate. In 2015 looked around for alterative and discovered that Tesla MS had a 250 mile range. 3x the price of the Golf and all the concerns, back then, of range and charging locations (I was doing 30K miles a year, out-of-range 2x a month). Saved a bundle on fuel (charged at work for free), BiK tax, servicing (didn't bother with servicing at all for final 50K miles). When I traded in after 3.5 years / 100K miles the new MS was 20% cheaper, 20% more range, and got a 50% trade in . At that point the TCO looked pretty rosy ... and AutoPilot meant I arrived a lot more refreshed on all my long business journeys than before - so add to TCO the reduced wear-and-tear on the driver. And 8 hours a year not stood on forecourts filling / queuing to pay. My Man Maths says those are "billable hours" 🤑

Added PowerWall in 2019. Hugely expensive ... (use more leccy than normal because I run business servers in the house), on sunny days Spring-to-Autumn charging the battery overnight bridges with the 16 panel PV so day usage is close to zero. Just having a further 32 panels commissioned - should then be able to charge the battery from PV most days Spring-to-Autumn, and a Zappi added for trickle charge of car with any excess.

Improved house insulation too - too difficult to radically improve the main part of the house, so built a Passive House extension, which has the main winter living quarters. Increased house footprint by 50% and overall heating fuel reduced by 50% :cool: by turning down thermostat in old part of house a couple of degrees as we are not sitting still there on winter evenings and improved insulation / air tightness where I could

All that lot has cost me a lot, at the time the payback on them looked dreadful (like you I was doing it on environmental grounds). One event or another has solved the payback for me ...

Small print: historical performance no predictor of future profitability ...

• Love
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Upvote 0
Just received rates for 1st April EDF eco 20:20 (same hours as EDF Go electric 98 but SVR related):
Standing charge per day (previous): 44.84p (23.85p)
Day: 32.11p (23.47p)
0ff peak: 17.78p (12.98p)

Off peak are 10 hrs every Monday to Thursday (9pm-7am) & Friday 9pm to Monday 7am. Total 98 hours.
Note, summer time 10pm -8am.

Upvote 0
Just received rates for 1st April EDF eco 20:20 (same hours as EDF Go electric 98 but SVR related):
Standing charge per day (previous): 44.84p (23.85p)
Day: 32.11p (23.47p)
0ff peak: 17.78p (12.98p)

Off peak are 10 hrs every Monday to Thursday (9pm-7am) & Friday 9pm to Monday 7am. Total 98 hours.
Note, summer time 10pm -8am.
When I last looked this was a dual fuel tariff only and they locked you into a ridiculous gas fixed price, 11p per kWh as I recall. That is 3p over the new capped tariff of around 7p. Watch out for that.

I ended up jumping ship to Octopus and kept my gas on the flexible capped rate.

Upvote 0
When I last looked this was a dual fuel tariff only and they locked you into a ridiculous gas fixed price, 11p per kWh as I recall. That is 3p over the new capped tariff of around 7p. Watch out for that.

I ended up jumping ship to Octopus and kept my gas on the flexible capped rate.
My gas will move from 3.9p to 7.2p - looking at my usage last year, approx 8700kW with 5,500kW at the off peak rate.
I've just applied to move to Octopus Go, leaving Gas with EDF as it's cheaper. Hopefully with a new solar and battery system to take advantage of the low off peak 4 hour rate.

Upvote 0
What really annoys me, is how the press, BBC etc never refer to is how -really- broken the pricing is for our electricity.

As Greg at Octopus has hinted, our electricity price is pegged what the gas price is. Doesn't matter if we make most of our leccy using wind, solar, nuclear etc... the price is decided by the gas generation price, and so decided by gas. Imagine if your car price was decided by the most expensive car on the market. Stupid right? This is fundamentally flawed and really should be changed. But with almost nobody aware of, nor raising the issue... it'll never be.
I think gas is what ALWAYS comes on to make up the shortfall. Nuclear is always on. Solar, wind, hydro, burning waste, biomass is always running 100% what it can. It's gas that varies between 4GW (lowest I've seen) and 23GW (peak winter generation level I've seen using the Drax Energy Insights website). Imports were running at about 100% to us from France as French nuclear is always cheaper than our gas. So gas is always the spot price used to fill the shortfall.

Upvote 0
I read that the standing charge for electricity (rising for everyone from about 25p/day to 40p/day) is massively due to the government spending billions bailing out the 30 or so companies that went bust. Of which Bulb is the biggest. Dale Vince, CEO of Ecotricity tweeted that the government did NOT hedge the price of energy for Bulb customers and the government that thought they'd spend £1bn on Bulb customers is now due to end up spending roughly £2bn! Either they're too stupid to hedge, or they gambled on prices going down, and lost! So we foot the bill. Dale had been interviewed many months ago when companies were dropping like flies noting they'd hedged 90% of their fuel and so were at no risk of going bust. The government had let in so many small companies without making them hedge their fuel, or like banks, running basic checks to see how resilient they were to a crisis. Answer = not very.
All the big fuel users hedge, miners, airlines, the latter often buy the fuel to meet the next years commitments to the planes they plan to fly. So they're never caught selling seats for fuel they haven't bought. For the UK gov to screw up this badly is criminally negligent! Vince called for a public enquiry. And well I agree with him! Not a huge fan of the company. Their prices are astronomical. Saw a price of 49p/kWh elec, 12.5p/kWh gas advertised last week for anyone wanting to switch now. The only company of 5 that actually offered a price - the others said the market was too volatile / or suggested I stay on the price cap... I get elec from Octopus (5 and 13.7p) currently and last Oct did a 2yr fixed for gas with British Gas at 5.5p... very glad I did now!

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Upvote 0
Octopus Go rates are changing to 43p kWh and 27p kWh at night?

This sounds terrible. Surely this isn't right? My rate with Shell from April is 27.6p kWH day and night.

Upvote 0