TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Energy, Environment, and Policy PODCAST 'The Energy Gang'

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by nwdiver, Aug 2, 2015.

1. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I found this podcast a few days ago...

The Energy Gang

Some interesting tidbits I've picked up is the challenge of keeping solar profitable as costs fall... SunEdison CEO expressed concern over making $$$ when you can displace the energy of a home with PV for ~$5k in the next 10 years; And how abhorrent the economics of base load have become...

Lots of other great stuff.

2. DriverOne

DriverOne Member

Yes, great podcast. I too enjoyed the SunEdison CEO interview.

I wonder how SolarCity, SunEdison etc will make profits too. Plenty of solar companies have already foundered on that rock. Will Solarcity "make it up in volume"? The number of roofs wanting panels is "near infinite" but is a good profit possible?

3. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

SunEdison locks in profits by assuring that it has long-term Power Purchase Agreements supporting nearly all of its projects. It's a very different business model than SCTY's.