Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

energy gauge popped in.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This afternoon for the first time, the energy gauge dial overrode what I normally have displayed and inserted this warning. I was driving modestly, not aggressive at all. had around 160 miles range. It was 60 degrees outside approx. I was on flat terrain and had just left my house. This event happened several times for about 10 minutes but once I entered the freeway, it never repeated. Again I was not driving aggressive in the least. Any idea what it was telling me? I don't believe this guage has ever forced itself to display in this manner unless I choose to have it as one of the two dash choices.
I have 2016 P100D. 22,000 miles
I
Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 7.46.28 PM.png

This is yet another way tesla is limiting the performance of your car. See the sudden degradation thread.
That isn’t true. The yellow dash below 0 means regen is limited. This happens when battery is cold as a cold battery cannot be charged quickly without damage. Tesla is monitoring battery condition for longevity. You will get more regen and yellow line go away as battery warms up with driving, though it can take 45 min of driving due to high efficiency. Perfectly normal.

Also happens if battery is nearly full.

• Informative
Reactions: Karen in MN
That isn’t true. The yellow dash below 0 means regen is limited. This happens when battery is cold as a cold battery cannot be charged quickly without damage. Tesla is monitoring battery condition for longevity. You will get more regen and yellow line go away as battery warms up with driving, though it can take 45 min of driving due to high efficiency. Perfectly normal.

While what you're saying is factually correct -- @faughtz is correct too, this is due to a recent firmware upgrade.

His battery wasn't full, see below. And it was relatively warm. This was due to a recent change in the firmware with Tesla increasing the temperature at which regen kicks in. There's multiple threads about it on TMC already.

had around 160 miles range. It was 60 degrees outside approx.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan

Yes, your description is correct, but you are wrong.

tesla is much more aggressively limiting both regen and acceleration with a “cool” battery. I’m seeing significant impact. See the thread on sudden degradation.

• Love
Reactions: SSedan
As some others have said, it's the new normal - nothing is broken. The energy gauge will pop in when the regen strength changes. The battery now needs to be around 66-67F for full regen.

I have not read about battery degradation limiting regen - supercharging speed, perhaps, but not regen. That is temperature and SoC based.

It isn't battery degradation, it is Tesla reducing voltage limits which reduces range. Looks like degradation to the end user but this is being done with software updates.
They have also shifted minimum battery temps for thing upwards which has had a big impact on how things are working. Seeing a lot more Regen limiting and power limiting.

Regardless, the temperature threshold for full regen has nothing to do with the condition of the battery or its voltage. Cars that have not had their supercharging speeds nerfed or their voltage capped still have the same 66-67F full regen threshold temperature under the new firmware.

Believe the threshold used to be closer to 50f.

This winter has been warmer than usual, hopefully I didn't just jinx it, but I have seen a lot more Regen completely disabled and power limiting. Some of this is still being on a software version that only heats the pack for charging.

If Tesla adjust the cold temp regen thresholds, then there must be a reason for it. They don’t sell more car by advertising stronger regen. Perhaps is reduce battery degradation, and is something we should be thankful they care to find out and update for. The alternative “regen when cold kills battery, please control your foot appropriately when cold” is far worse. Be thankful that Tesla care to find out, and then care to update.