TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Energy graph warning symbol?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Mike_C, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Morning all, and first of all hello - first post on the forum although I've been browsing for a while! I have a late P85+ with AP and really enjoying the car.

However, I have a warning symbol (yellow triangle) appearing that I cannot fathom what it is for. It only seems to appear under hard or continued acceleration, and it appears on the top left corner of the energy graph on the dash (graph on the right, below). I have not been able to find any info for this warning symbol online or in the owners manual, anyone know what it is? It actually brings up the graph as an 'override' until the symbol goes off again.

Incidentally, the outside temperate is hovering around 2'C at the moment, if it's anything to do with that?

Thanks,

Mike

Tesla-Autopilot-MICHAEL-SIMARI1-626x382.jpg

2. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

C'mon, someone must know!! :)

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I looked and I didn't see any warning symbol, just the dot that normally appears.

4. svp6

svp6 Member

I also saw it when driving in cold weather - the energy graph appeared all of a sudden together with the tiny triangle warning, only to disappear seconds later. I presumed it was because of low remaining range (I arrived home with 18 rated miles left) and cold temp (-5F). I have no clue of the purpose / significance.

5. Spacela

Spacela Member

The triangle indicates that the car is limiting either regenerative breaking or acceleration. This could be due to cold temperatures or a very high or very low state of charge. If the limitation is due to cold, the triangle and the power limitation will go away as you continue to drive and the battery warms up.

6. CygnusX1

CygnusX1 Member

If the energy app pops up and the yellow triangle appears at the top end of the power scale just to vanish again a few seconds later, that means that the power train has just limited the amp draw from the battery in order not to exceed the maximum. This maximum amperage draw highly depends on battery SoC and battery temperature (too cold and too hot). Reason is to prevent the brick (cell) voltages of the battery from getting too low due to high discharge current, and to avoid overheating of the cells. Low SoC and low temperatures mean higher internal resistance of the cells and thus higher internal power dissipation which can cause overheating.

Typically this happens when you (try to) use full acceleration under low SoC or low (high) temperature battery condition.

7. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Thanks guys, that's quelled some fears! I had a decent amount of range (around 150 miles?) and it has only appeared under full-throttle acceleration. It was early in the morning with an outside temperature of around 2-5'C, however I'd been driving for half an hour at this point so would expect batteries to be up to temperature by then (assuming the car will warm them as you drive)? But looks like a combination of cold ambient temperate and maximum throttle applications?

8. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

The little yellow triangle indicates either (or both) that acceleration and/or regenerative breaking are limited. Acceleration gets limited when its colder, and when the SOC is low (less than 10% IIRC). Regen gets limited when its cold and when the battery has been charged to 100% (no room to regen into). The amount either are limited by will be indicated by a dashed yellow line on the sweep, showing the areas the car has blocked out.

The battery is a HUGE thermal mass, it takes a good bit of time for use or the heaters to bring it to optimal temperature.

9. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

The dashed yellow lines on the power meter indicate that there exists a limit on either total available power (usually because of battery temperature or very low state of charge), and/or that there is a limit on regen power (usually because of battery low temperature or a very high state of charge).

The brief appearance of the yellow warning triangle indicates that there has been a change in the limit from what was previously indicated.

If you do not have the power meter displayed on the instrument cluster, the power meter will appear along with the yellow warning triangle (overriding whatever other app you had displayed) for about 10 seconds if it needs to let you know there has been a limit change.

10. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

OK, thanks all. As long as it is not a major issue and just a temporary concern relating to battery temperature or SOC then that's fine, thanks!