Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Graph Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Found this thread after doing some searching.)

Here's an additional data point: My new 75D gave me this symbol on my morning commute today (my first time making the trip), after about 20-25 minutes of driving, so the battery should have been warm. I live in Southern California, and the outside temperature at the time was in the low 60's. The battery, which normally charges up to about 230 miles at 90%, was showing 210 miles of range at the time, so the battery wasn't full.

Also, this is extremely relevant: This part of my commute is on a really long, constant downhill grade. The driven distance is about 5 miles, and the descent is over 1700 feet (found using online mapping tools). The warning appeared on the last 1-1.5 miles, after most of the descent had already happened.

I don't think that the battery being full or excessively cold could have been the reason I got the warning. Perhaps it can only take so much regen charge in a short period, even if the "battery is cold" the "100% SOC" conditions don't apply?

UPDATE:

Its now November and it's been fairly cold all month (40s and high 30s). As suspected, I pretty much now get this every I time I start the car. It goes away immediately and I ignore it, but definitely feels odd.

The yellow triangle shows up when regen limits recently changed. It's supposed to draw your attention to the fact that your regen will feel different compared to before, so you don't get surprised by it.

Btw, you can also see this at the top end of the range under hard acceleration if pack/junction temps are too high or battery SoC is too low for full acceleration.

These are your answers. The triangle appears when your available power is changed at both acceleration and regen.
Has nothing to do with temperature. When it is cold your power limits change. It is directly linked to the change in available power.

So, the question is, not doubting either of the above answers, as I seem to recall seeing this elsewhere, don't you feel the difference in driving the car? In that regen is noticably absent? I would think it feels like an ICE car, and coasts a lot further....

Edit: The manual just shows the dashed lines for 'limited regen'. I bet they added the warning triangle as a reminder that 'you can't go there' in charging via regen 'at this time'.
After I charge the car full, I always almost slide through the stop sign at the end of my street because I'm waiting for the standard regen to stop the car in short order but it just coasts.

So yes, for a couple of minutes it feels jyst like a car with no regen braking. Because it has no regen braking.

Started getting this a few days ago and called Tesla customer support. They pulled the data from my car and told me that it was because regen was limited due the cooling weather here in the Annapolis MD area (high 30s low 40s). Was happening in my S100D, and I was at between 60-65% SOC no pre-conditioning of the battery.

These indicators are very simple:

- Dashed lines mean that either acceleration power (if the dashed lines are at the top of the power meter) or regen (if the dashed lines are at the bottom of the power meter) is limited.
- The warning triangle means that the power limit has changed. It calls your attention to the change, especially if you don't normally keep your power meter on the instrument cluster.

Both of these items are part of the normal operation of the car -- they do not mean that anything is wrong. And this is the problem with the indications that Tesla has selected: The dashed lines are yellow, and the warning triangle is yellow, both of which are an "attention - abnormal condition" color.

Telsa needs to:

1. Replace the warning triangle with an information triangle (blue triangle with "i" icon, not exclamation point).
2. Change the color of the dashed lines to reflect the reason that the limitation exists:
a. Acceleration limit in gray dashed line if limit is due to low battery, in pink dashed line if limit is due to high temperature.
b. Regen limit in gray dashed line if limit is due to full battery, in cyan dashed line if limit is due to low temperature.

Reactions: baw

- Dashed lines mean that either acceleration power (if the dashed lines are at the top of the power meter) or regen (if the dashed lines are at the bottom of the power meter) is limited.
- The warning triangle means that the power limit has changed. It calls your attention to the change, especially if you don't normally keep your power meter on the instrument cluster.

Both of these items are part of the normal operation of the car -- they do not mean that anything is wrong. And this is the problem with the indications that Tesla has selected: The dashed lines are yellow, and the warning triangle is yellow, both of which are an "attention - abnormal condition" color.

Telsa needs to:

1. Replace the warning triangle with an information triangle (blue triangle with "i" icon, not exclamation point).
2. Change the color of the dashed lines to reflect the reason that the limitation exists:
a. Acceleration limit in gray dashed line if limit is due to low battery, in pink dashed line if limit is due to high temperature.
b. Regen limit in gray dashed line if limit is due to full battery, in cyan dashed line if limit is due to low temperature.
They should also last longer. In my case, they go away before I can really get a look. I would also appreciate a text message instead of a cryptic icon. And, I would like a triangle on the touchscreen, like when TACC is engaged and I have the accelerator pressed, so I can review messages. I don't ever expect to see such things, though.

Telsa needs to:

Some good suggestions and your point about not normally keeping the power meter in the instrument cluster is VERY relevant. This is my use case which is why my initial instincts were that something is "wrong". Not ideal user experience IMHO.