Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy in 2 powerwall drained from 100% down to 5%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point regarding inverter efficiency at different loads. During my test, the first 80% were drawn at a constant 6kWh.
I think Tesla should make the inverter efficiency chart available, similar to the chart I have from my solar inverter. At this point I am really unsure how long we could last on 2 PWs without any solar production due to weather.
Since I wrote this post, we had Tropical Storm Isaias in our area and power is out. Damages are more than anticipated, and no one really knows how long it would last. I am able to bring the house consumption to about 0.5kWh. We anticipate rain tomorrow, so we will be extra vigilant in our consumption. But the main question I would like to answer is how long can one go on PWs with no solar production? Assuming I can get the same 22kWh from the PWs, it means I can last 1 day and 20 hours. At least in summer, I haven't seen no solar production at all.
The nice thing is that even if you have rain, it doesn't mean your system won't be producing. Depending on the clouds and rain, your system could still produce enough energy to power your house or to at least partially power it and extend the runtime of the Powerwalls. We've had a heavy downpour for the past hour or so and our solar system has been generating 0.6 kW to 1.3 kW throughout the storm. The house is only using 0.8 kW so I've actually been exporting back to the grid. If the grid was down, our production would still be enough to power the house and trickle charge the Powerwalls a tiny amount.

We have 4 Powerwalls so we're able to endure longer outages. Fortunately, the Denver area averages over 300 days of sunshine per year, usually more than places in California and Florida, so it's rare we'd have no solar production for more than a day or two. When we get snow, we clear off some of the panels and can usually be producing at 40% to 60% of our normal capacity within a day of a huge snowstorm. We did a 200+ hour off-grid test last year when we got close to a foot of snow. We've also had a couple other multi-day outages in the past two years and fortunately the sun has come back out before our Powerwalls ran out. We did have an issue in 2019 when we had full sun and the grid was down but our Powerwalls couldn't handle the solar production because they were down to 5% and increasing the frequency to keep warm in the extreme cold. The Powerwalls were in a cycle with the solar and production kept turning on and off throughout the day. Tesla made some adjustments to our inverters and the shutoff frequency so hopefully we won't have that issue in the future.

I was surprised about the 10% number. I'd test again to see if it was an odd behavior (it was pre-PTO) but I don't think my wife liked the first test (particularly since it went off before I expected.)
How did you do the test? Did you shut off main breaker? I did my test by switching to Self-Powered and set the reserve to 0% in the app. If anything, I would have assumed that grid outage would cause it to behave similar and reach the same level. It already leaves 5% which can be seen in portal, and I have heard that there is 1kWh that is not part of this percentage that is also kept as a safety net, but can't really get any good references on this.

The nice thing is that even if you have rain, it doesn't mean your system won't be producing. Depending on the clouds and rain, your system could still produce enough energy to power your house or to at least partially power it and extend the runtime of the Powerwalls. We've had a heavy downpour for the past hour or so and our solar system has been generating 0.6 kW to 1.3 kW throughout the storm.
That's my experience as well. I have had the solar for over 2 years now. In the summer, it hasn't been an issue. Maybe one day will get as low as 10kWh, and next day it bounced back. I would have been more concerned in the winter. I had 5 consecutive days in December with 4kWh average per day. Even though I have heating with natural gas, it still needs electricity to power the air handler. Hoping I will never get power outage during this type of worst case scenario. In the future, if the PWs prices drop and get higher density, I would look into adding more.

How did you do the test? Did you shut off main breaker? I did my test by switching to Self-Powered and set the reserve to 0% in the app. If anything, I would have assumed that grid outage would cause it to behave similar and reach the same level. It already leaves 5% which can be seen in portal, and I have heard that there is 1kWh that is not part of this percentage that is also kept as a safety net, but can't really get any good references on this.
Yes - this is when I was operating off-grid anyway prior to having permission to operate on-grid. One day where we didn't have much sun I knew the PWs would drain fully that evening (hot day, so A/C running.)

Fair point regarding inverter efficiency at different loads. During my test, the first 80% were drawn at a constant 6kWh.
I think Tesla should make the inverter efficiency chart available, similar to the chart I have from my solar inverter. At this point I am really unsure how long we could last on 2 PWs without any solar production due to weather.
Since I wrote this post, we had Tropical Storm Isaias in our area and power is out. Damages are more than anticipated, and no one really knows how long it would last. I am able to bring the house consumption to about 0.5kWh. We anticipate rain tomorrow, so we will be extra vigilant in our consumption. But the main question I would like to answer is how long can one go on PWs with no solar production? Assuming I can get the same 22kWh from the PWs, it means I can last 1 day and 20 hours. At least in summer, I haven't seen no solar production at all.

Good luck with the storms! It will be interesting to hear how things went afterwards.