Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just checked my smart meter and see that my (Octopus) energy tariff had gone up . . . . .
Electricity: was 29.58p now up to 35.98p per Kwh an increase of 21%
Gas: was 7.36 now up to 10.34p per Kwh and increase of 40%
That's no surprise (though I believe that the rates displayed and calculated on a smart meter IHD can be notoriously unreliable). I'm sure you will have seen your rates directly as per communication from Octopus and as displayed on their website. And the national news has been full of it for weeks ... but maybe you're the last to know! ;)

I am on EdF GoElectric April 24 at 37.91p day 4.5p 5 hour at night. I expected the day portion to go down to 34p. Government web site says:

If you’re on a fixed rate tariff

Fixed tariff customers will have the same support where appropriate. Unit price reductions of up to 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas will apply to fixed tariff customers that currently have unit rates above the EPG.

A ‘floor’ unit price for gas averaging at 10.3p/kWh and for electricity averaging at 34p/kWh for direct debit customers will be introduced, because some people will have fixed at much lower prices some time ago, meaning their annual payments will already be below the £2,500 average set by the Energy Price Guarantee.

Edf say 'no change' What am I missing?

I am on EdF GoElectric April 24 at 37.91p day 4.5p 5 hour at night. I expected the day portion to go down to 34p. Government web site says:

Fixed tariff customers will have the same support where appropriate. Unit price reductions of up to 17p/kWh for electricity and 4.2p/kWh for gas will apply to fixed tariff customers that currently have unit rates above the EPG.

A ‘floor’ unit price for gas averaging at 10.3p/kWh and for electricity averaging at 34p/kWh for direct debit customers will be introduced, because some people will have fixed at much lower prices some time ago, meaning their annual payments will already be below the £2,500 average set by the Energy Price Guarantee.

You are missing calculations.

(5 x 4.5 + 19 x 37.91 ) / 24 = 30.94 / kwh - this is your average 24 hr rate

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro

As pointed out by @Adopado I think when on a fixed rate tariff they are entitled to use a blended rate calculation to determine if the new price cap is applicable. We are on the Octopus Tesla Energy Plan. No change has been made to our rate but I can't complain at all. £0.1124/kWh remains a very attractive price.

is that right or does it take into account your actual usage? I have only 3 hours at cheap rate which is 12.5% but over 50% of my usage is actually in that time period.
Yes in practice it will be different for every customer but the way it’s calculated by the companies appears to use a standardised formula, because they can’t have different rates for each customer on the same ev tariff.