Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Saving and Always Connected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sept 2017 Model S and I've always enabled both these options. But lately I've noticed that it's taking much longer for the car to wake up and the wifi disconnects just a few minutes after I park at home.

The former is annoying and I believe the latter can affect my ability to receive firmware updates, so I've disabled energy saving.

For folks with older cars, how do you have these options configured?

i currently have a 14' Model S P85+ and i keep the always connected on. If you do this as your daily as in if you do not leave your car for days for trips, and or maybe long rides you should enabled it. For me, it makes no difference as i like to have instant access to the car so i leave the setting on.

On my '17 I have Energy Saving on and Always Connected on. I've played extensively with these settings and "sleep' - my car will not sleep in this setting at all. If I have to have Energy Saving on, Always Connected off - and my car will sleep like a baby all night long.

Interesting difference though - with my car not sleeping, startup is immediate. Sounds like your car is sleeping which is different from what I've observed. Do you happen to have a TeslaFi account? It will tell you exactly when sleep starts/stops - I think they have a free 30-day trial if you want to track if for a bit.

Sept 2017 Model S and I've always enabled both these options. But lately I've noticed that it's taking much longer for the car to wake up and the wifi disconnects just a few minutes after I park at home.

The former is annoying and I believe the latter can affect my ability to receive firmware updates, so I've disabled energy saving.

For folks with older cars, how do you have these options configured?

2012 Signature S85 always-connected is on energy saving is off. And just for the record cabin overheat protection off. Creep mode on. Range mode off.

On my '17 I have Energy Saving on and Always Connected on. I've played extensively with these settings and "sleep' - my car will not sleep in this setting at all. If I have to have Energy Saving on, Always Connected off - and my car will sleep like a baby all night long.

Interesting difference though - with my car not sleeping, startup is immediate. Sounds like your car is sleeping which is different from what I've observed. Do you happen to have a TeslaFi account? It will tell you exactly when sleep starts/stops - I think they have a free 30-day trial if you want to track if for a bit.

According the manual, with energy saving = off, the car will sleep from 10 pm to 5 am only. I don't have TeslaFi because I'm in the EAP.

Energy saving ON, always connected ON.

My car goes to sleep often, not only during the evening hours. I opted against the Tech Package so I need to use the key to unlock the car. The car receives the key signal from pretty far away, especially from the rear; so it's usually fully awake by the time I sit.

I believe this is the current version of the manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

Page 76

"However, on older vehicles, you can touch Controls > Displays > Energy Saving and choose from the following options: • OFF - Model S shifts to the energy-saving mode at night (10 pm to 5 am). • ON - significantly less energy is consumed whenever Model S is not in use. The startup time of the instrument panel and Bluetooth could be slower. • Always Connected - preserves cell connectivity when energy saving is active..."

I read this as "Energy Saving Off" = only sleeps at night and "Always Connected" = keeps LTE connection on but no necessarily the wifi connection.