TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Energy Savings Feature Experience

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dave, Nov 22, 2013.

1. dave

dave Member

Can someone please share with me a detailed experience of how your car starts up with the Energy Savings feature turned on? I want to see if my experience is typical or not, and find out how it is supposed to work.

For me, the moment I open the door the 17" screen is on and playing the radio. (I was not expecting this to be the case).
    However, the dash screen stays dark for 2 - 3 minutes, and the car cannot drive.
    After about 2 minutes, the car is drivable, but the screen itself won't come on for another minute into the drive.

Is this typical? I thought I saw someone throw out a number of 45 seconds, which seems much more reasonable.

I gave someone a ride after work today and was thoroughly embarrassed when we had to sit in the car for several minutes waiting for it to start.

Thanks!

- Dave

2. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

This is definitely not normal. I suggest rebooting the dash screen (press and hold two buttons above scroll wheels) and center screen (press and hold both scroll wheels). If this doesn't fix it, call your service center and have them diagnose remotely.

3. dave

dave Member

Yeah, I've rebooted several times - no difference. I keep forgetting to call them during business hours...

Do you mind telling me what IS normal? What is the "normal" startup exeperience with this feature on?

4. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

'Normal' for me is, as you describe, the center screen is up and running almost right away (bluetooth connections take a little longer), and the dash screen shows the "T" within about 5-10 seconds, and is fully functional within about 20-25 seconds? Basically by the time I'm situated and belted up, it's good to go.

5. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

My experience is identical to Pete's.

6. dave

dave Member

Okay, yeah, something's wrong for me then. Way more than 25 seconds, and I've never seen a "T" on dash screen.... thanks guys.

7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Good luck. Maybe they need to re-push the software to fix whatever anomaly you have. I'm pleasantly surprised by how un-annoying it is. I don't really care about the vampire drain, but since its so unobtrusive, I'm keeping it enabled.

8. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

I have a different experience. After upgrading to 5.8 (from 4.5) my car still never appears to go to sleep. Everything is always immediately active as soon as I open the door, and the overnight range reduction is the same as before.

Also, the VisibleTesla app never says that the car is sleeping peacefully. I even tried disabling and re-enabling the feature with no luck. Has anyone else seen this?

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Some have said something like "make sure your keyfobs are more than X feet away". I haven't explored this much yet though.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The closest keyfob is the one Denise keeps in her purse, that's about 18' away and the car goes to sleep just fine. There is a metal garage door between the purse and the car though.

11. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

That might make sense, except that it also doesn't go to sleep when I'm at work, and that has me at least 100 feet away. Hmmmm. I may have to contact Tesla.

12. Klaus

Klaus Member

Currently, Visual Tesla is keeping your car awake while it runs. Quit VT and the car will be able to go to sleep (except when charging). When you then launch VT it will ask if you want to wake the car, and if not, VT will quit. Joe and Hans are working on getting the sleep mode integrated into the VT and REST software.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As mine goes to sleep at work every time and yours doesn't, contacting Tesla is the thing to do, though you might want to try rebooting both displays first and see if the behaviour changes.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Also, given what we've recently seen reported regarding regen you might want to try the following...

1. Turn off Energy Saver
    2. Turn on Energy Saver
    3. Reboot Twice
    4. Turn off Energy Saver
    5. Turn on Energy Saver
    ... then see if the feature works.

15. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

I initially thought the same thing, so I closed VisualTesla but there was no change in behavior.

I think I may have tried a reboot for a different reason (although only on the main display), but I certainly have not tried your suggestion Brian. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :)

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Exactly the same thing here. What did surprise me is how quickly the car does go to "sleep". I thought it waited for several hours, but a 20 minute trip to the mall saw the car asleep when I got back to it.