Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Savings Trust loan for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, has anybody had to ask for a EST loan extension. My offer expires 30th Sept? Not heard a peep from Tesla and no VIN in Source. I have seen people have delivery texts up to mid Sept so starting to wonder if any chance of delivery in Sept has gone.
Have you chased Tesla for a final invoice? Once you've claimed the funds you have a further 60 days to provide proof of payment.

Have you chased Tesla for a final invoice? Once you've claimed the funds you have a further 60 days to provide proof of payment.
yep chased by email and tried phone a couple of times but couldn't get through, held out some hope when I read a post somewhere that said Tesla were prioritising final invoices for EST people. Also checking the order spreadsheet, not sure if I see any other M3P+ MSM, granted it is a small sample.

Got my loan through by 6am this morning, after they confirmed it had been sent at 2.25pm on Friday last. Actually very good for a BACS transfer.

Anyone going down this road, my advice is to send them everything before you get your final invoice, as soon as you can in fact. Do not scan the form with your bank details and signature, as they demand the original signature, not a pdf of it. You can email them the final invoice.

That’s my Est loan all sorted, my account now says paid and I’ve a txt yesterday to say it will be in my account within 5 working days.
Question, when it comes time to pay how have others done it?
I’ll take it I’ll use the account and sortcode from the final invoice to send the money?
Talked to the bank, I can send up to £25k a day or go in to the bank and send the full amount for £30.
How have others done it?

That’s my Est loan all sorted, my account now says paid and I’ve a txt yesterday to say it will be in my account within 5 working days.
Question, when it comes time to pay how have others done it?
I’ll take it I’ll use the account and sortcode from the final invoice to send the money?
Talked to the bank, I can send up to £25k a day or go in to the bank and send the full amount for £30.
How have others done it?
Tesla are happy with multiple payments. I paid for mine from two different accounts, and one of the accounts had a per-transfer limit of £1000, so I ended up making 22 payments from that account :)

I don’t know about payment arrangements specifically for the EST loan, but I simply paid to the account details on my final invoice.

Just like you can check the source code for your VIN, you can also see payments that have been applied to your account. Just search the source for “existingdeposit”.

Reactions: Shetlandmdl3
Has anyone recently been through the EST loan process.

I’ve had to send them a credit report despite having an impeccable credit history. There’s a bit of chatter online regarding the agency that has appeared in my credit file. They changed their system late 2019 and individuals and businesses which they previously rated highly have had their ratings slashed. I suspect this is why the EST has asked me to forward a copy of my credit report.

I’m pretty certain my car is on the Morning Cara due at Zeebrugge on March 5th. I’ve no idea how long it will take the cars to be ready at Edinburgh, but I’m now worried I’ll run out of time for EST to process and release the funds.

I know I won’t have any issues if I approach my bank, I would rather it was interest free.

Last edited:
Has anyone recently been through the EST loan process.

I’ve had to send them a credit report despite having an impeccable credit history. There’s a bit of chatter online regarding the agency that has appeared in my credit file. They changed their system late 2019 and individuals and businesses which they previously rated highly have had their ratings slashed. I suspect this is why the EST has asked me to forward a copy of my credit report.

I’m pretty certain my car is on the Morning Cara due at Zeebrugge on March 5th. I’ve no idea how long it will take the cars to be ready at Edinburgh, but I’m now worried I’ll run out of time for EST to process and release the funds.

I know I won’t have any issues if I approach my bank, I would rather it was interest free.
Yes - this happened to me as well. It all ended up fine in the end, but agree added a delay. I reckon the offer etc should be out ok for your timescale. I found the whole EST process very unpredictable as to what was going to happen next! I got the feeling the search that they use is very basic against a list of very tight criteria and if it doesn’t satisfy one of them, it spits it out. EST aren’t really wanting to pay £££ for full credit report access/searching and so get you to provide it so they can see the reason it may have been spat out and make a decision (I think mine was a recent house move, again despite having an otherwise great history and rating)

Reactions: Andy6781
Yes - this happened to me as well. It all ended up fine in the end, but agree added a delay. I reckon the offer etc should be out ok for your timescale. I found the whole EST process very unpredictable as to what was going to happen next! I got the feeling the search that they use is very basic against a list of very tight criteria and if it doesn’t satisfy one of them, it spits it out. EST aren’t really wanting to pay £££ for full credit report access/searching and so get you to provide it so they can see the reason it may have been spat out and make a decision (I think mine was a recent house move, again despite having an otherwise great history and rating)

Thanks for your reply. I started the EST process on January 23rd.

I looked at my credit report, the only advisory was to add an extra £1000 to my credit card limit to increase my score by 40 points. This would have taken me to a few points shy of the perfect credit karma score.

does the formal loan offer come out with paperwork for signing or does that follow later?

I looked at my credit report, the only advisory was to add an extra £1000 to my credit card limit to increase my score by 40 points. This would have taken me to a few points shy of the perfect credit karma score.

does the formal loan offer come out with paperwork for signing or does that follow later?
Yes I was the full 21 days (and more) before they sent initial “rejection” but asked for report. Then a few days after the loan paperwork came through by email. You have to send agreement back to them and then later before release of funds send final invoice prior to delivery.

Anything with your signature required on it needs printed off, signed, and posted to them. In my case the offer of loan and the Direct Debit set up document came into that category, the latter to my surprise as I have set up dozens of direct debits without a paper, or indeed any, signature. But it's the Government, they establish their own rules and stick to them regardless.
Anything else can be completed as an electronic form and emailed back to them.

Anything with your signature required on it needs printed off, signed, and posted to them. In my case the offer of loan and the Direct Debit set up document came into that category, the latter to my surprise as I have set up dozens of direct debits without a paper, or indeed any, signature. But it's the Government, they establish their own rules and stick to them regardless.
Anything else can be completed as an electronic form and emailed back to them.
Yes I was the full 21 days (and more) before they sent initial “rejection” but asked for report. Then a few days after the loan paperwork came through by email. You have to send agreement back to them and then later before release of funds send final invoice prior to delivery.

Great, so long as the official offer comes in shortly I’ll be able to scrape enough together if time is pressured for EST to process the payment.

I’m not worried as much now and hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Im in the process of cashing in some of an ISA as I have no confidence I'll get EST loan in time.
I still have no final invoice and a collection next Wednesday...
EST claim to be very busy and a worst case - 10 days to process final invoice and 4 days for funds to clear.

Im in the process of cashing in some of an ISA as I have no confidence I'll get EST loan in time.
I still have no final invoice and a collection next Wednesday...
EST claim to be very busy and a worst case - 10 days to process final invoice and 4 days for funds to clear.

We’re both fortunate to be in the position to be able to do that. If I’m correct, so long as the formal loan offer has been made the balance can be paid in advance of receiving the EST funds.

The process is painfully slow, and Tesla don’t seem to help matters either. My other issue is I’m out of the country the last week of March. I hope Tesla can be flexible with the collection date should it fall then.

• Helpful
Reactions: Torokruger
We’re both fortunate to be in the position to be able to do that. If I’m correct, so long as the formal loan offer has been made the balance can be paid in advance of receiving the EST funds.
The process is painfully slow, and Tesla don’t seem to help matters either. My other issue is I’m out of the country the last week of March. I hope Tesla can be flexible with the collection date should it fall then.

Yeah, the loan goes to you ie no correlation to it actually going to a car other than the invoice for the car as proof.
Guessing you could take the piss and have no intention of buying an EV, cancel the car on day of delivery, and have a £35K interest free loan ;)

Im in the process of cashing in some of an ISA

If you don't know already, some ISA's allow withdrawn funds to be replaced in same tax year - so if you have one of those, that the one to withdraw from and hopefully EST payment can then be used to repay the funds.

I have read that EST cannot be used on a car already received, so timing may prevent obtaining an EST payment.