Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTI $75 /bbl
Brent $81 /bbl
NL TTF gas €47 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Dutch front-month futures jumped more than 5% to €46 per megawatt hour on Friday and are on track to end the week nearly 2% higher amid concerns over the impact of LNG terminal closures in France. Four LNG terminals have been blocked since late Monday due to protests against pension reform in France, and disruptions may continue until March 14th.

US-IRA may work

which is why EU responding
and

PV downtrend back on

Storage vagueness

Grid : follow the money

UKR trainset

UK trainset

This article
Talks about the growth of installed PV in China, and the new pogramme to encourage decentralized PV. Definitely interesting, I hope the resit of the world follows in short order. But a part of me tends to view PV installations in China as a sponge that takes up dips in PV production exports so I take the data as something of surrogate of PV production growth in China. Regardless, the growth is interesting. I took the data presented and plotted it on a Log-normal graph:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 7.01.24 AM.png

The CAGR has 3 pretty distinct intervals, each lasting 3- 4 years. It started out at ~ 45%, dropped to ~ 33%, and has been ~ 23% the last 4 years.If I extrapolate then the next 4-ish years will have an ~ 15% CAGR

This article
Talks about the growth of installed PV in China, and the new pogramme to encourage decentralized PV. Definitely interesting, I hope the resit of the world follows in short order. But a part of me tends to view PV installations in China as a sponge that takes up dips in PV production exports so I take the data as something of surrogate of PV production growth in China. Regardless, the growth is interesting. I took the data presented and plotted it on a Log-normal graph:

View attachment 916730

The CAGR has 3 pretty distinct intervals, each lasting 3- 4 years. It started out at ~ 45%, dropped to ~ 33%, and has been ~ 23% the last 4 years.If I extrapolate then the next 4-ish years will have an ~ 15% CAGR

Domestic installations can also act as a way to guarantee a market for manufacturing capacity. So it's something that can allow for rapid expansion ahead of exports.

But at this point, I think that global PV demand is so large that they can easily export everything they make.

Reactions: petit_bateau
WTI $75 /bbl
Brent $81 /bbl
NL TTF gas €52 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Turkey tightens sanctions on Russia

Adamas battery report (2022)

EU vs US-IRA

Texas in the dock

Italy storage everywhere

First mover advantage, upstream

The economics must be bonkers

How it should be done, India

UK JLR woes

UK rail woes

Bypassing Russia

oh, hydrogen blending

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
WTI $74 /bbl
Brent $80 /bbl
NL TTF gas €45 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

ZNPP grid back

Ukraine year

Way ahead ?

Peace talks US - EU

Future uncertain

Energy prices falling ...

A common tale : low returns offshore

Another common tale : double or triple installs

Floating issues

Sinking

Real SMR progress
and

WTI $69 /bbl
Brent $75 /bbl
NL TTF gas €42 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Saudi - Iran deal
or
or

Road to 20 MW (remember Siemens wants a slowdown ... guess who is more capital constrained)
not these

US grid

UK nuclear

Hydrogen hopes

Shifting storage

Japanese steps

Australian rail

WTI $67 /bbl
Brent $73 /bbl
NL TTF gas €42 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Oil prices definitely sliding .......

EU EMR reform

The war on NOx

Significant number

Tesla FSD 11 looking good on single stack

Tesla Berlin files for 1m/yr

Should be fun maintaining that in the winter

Oops !

WTI $67 /bbl
Brent $73 /bbl

Oil prices definitely sliding .......

EU EMR reform

The war on NOx

Significant number

Tesla FSD 11 looking good on single stack

Tesla Berlin files for 1m/yr

Should be fun maintaining that in the winter

Oops !
One observation regarding any FSD videos that are online (and your “should be fun maintaining that in winter” comment is bang on WRT FSD and winter conditions):

Even simple TACC is crippled when there are active snow clearing operations involving brine.

Until that reality is addressed, none of the Tesla ADAS kit being demonstrated is viable in any winter scenario where salt spray is a factor.

I base this on weekly round trips between Guelph ON and Ottawa ON, in all weather conditions.

One observation regarding any FSD videos that are online (and your “should be fun maintaining that in winter” comment is bang on WRT FSD and winter conditions):

Even simple TACC is crippled when there are active snow clearing operations involving brine.

Until that reality is addressed, none of the Tesla ADAS kit being demonstrated is viable in any winter scenario where salt spray is a factor.

I base this on weekly round trips between Guelph ON and Ottawa ON, in all weather conditions.
Indeed. And I don't think EU regulators will be in any way as relaxed as US non-regulators in that respect.

Reactions: navguy12
*** please note that next week daily updates may be erratic as I am on the road all week ***
==========================================================
WTI $66 /bbl
Brent $72 /bbl

ICC judges issue arrest warrant for Vladimir Putin over alleged war crimes

IMF crisis lessons

OPEC explains

Russia not benefiting

EU reforms

EU storage tips

Italy : good grid thinking (this is genuinely good - but is also to do with Italy being one of the main locations for manufacturing of the relevant stuff)

Russia sucking in a lot of Chinese cargo by rail

Historic solar

Adaptive turbines

US IEA projections
and

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX
as we all expected ........

big oil firms have touted their investments in algae biofuels as the future of low-carbon transportation – and one by one, they have all dropped out. Now in the wake of the last remaining algae proponent, ExxonMobil, announcing its withdrawal, insiders say they are disappointed but not surprised.

WTI $66 /bbl
Brent $72 /bbl
NL TTF gas €39 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

IPCC

Bondholder nightmare will affect all long term investment propositions - such as renewables

SinoSoviet bridge

EU Green Deal commentary mixed

Shipping
and

Retrospective

• Informative

USA Dept of Energy thinks emissions free energy sources may provide 70-90% of the USA electricity needs by 2030. I thought @petit_bateau would find this supportive.

USA Dept of Energy thinks emissions free energy sources may provide 70-90% of the USA electricity needs by 2030. I thought @petit_bateau would find this supportive.
Indeed. I'll be back on the case tomorrow evening. Long day and bad Internet here.

• Informative
WTI $71 /bbl
Brent $76 /bbl
NL TTF gas €43 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Know your enemies, a case study

And not all friends are equal

Big cables r US

Big renewables growth
and

Heat pumps, more

Brexshit failure, subsidy wanted for UK survival

Last edited:
from Guardian

The UN nuclear agency’s chief has said the situation at Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia power plant “remains perilous” after a Russian missile strike disconnected it from the grid. Europe’s largest nuclear power plant needs a reliable electricity supply to operate pumps that circulate water to cool reactors and pools holding nuclear fuel.

• Informative
WTI $69/bbl
Brent $75 /bbl
NL TTF gas €41 /MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

mega solar, coming

mega Chinese solar, now !

WoodMac on storage

Overbuilding often beats storage (as I have been saying for over a decade)

US grid not good

600W panels ... getting better

French offshore

Indian muddle

Small nukes must deliver

Oh dear, UK

Oh dear, Germany

How to effectively be in NATO even before Turkey gets the message
and

Last edited:
Overbuilding solar makes huge sense and will until battery storage gets well an order of magnitude cheaper.

Yet...batteries..they cometh