Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTI $110.3
Brent $112.5

I've been wondering when this bad penny might drop, those LG pouch cells gotta go somewhere
which followed

Siemens moves

Another line in the sand, more clearly, Taiwan, (US officials rush to say no change)
or

EU strategy critique

Going without Russia

German manufacturing suffers

Refiners ponder

No *sugar*, doubletalk

UK attempts to stick finger in manufacturing dyke

More islands

and that Hungary blocking EU thing ...........
probably related .....

Last edited:
WTI $110.3
Brent $112.5

LNG tilts east

EU still waiting on Hungary
... and everyone is annoyed

Russian oil in limbo

Taiwan .... changes ?

Venezuela ...... Iran

Korean reactor builds just keep going like clockwork

France on the other hand
and

but UK has its own self-nflicted woes

Which is relevant because more to come

So this sort of thing will keep on going

LG to LFP for storage
... but unclear if also for vehicles
... old rumours

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
WTI $110.0
Brent $113.7

Hungary stretches the EU blockage
EU summit unlikely to find solution on Russia oil embargo, von der Leyen says

EU deals on LNG

Glencore bribes, fined $1.1 bn

Demand destruction, aluminium

Plugg in offshore

USA at risk, can anyone say climate change ?

Advertorial, but correct, intelligent grids have substations at their heart

Distributed (i.e. smaller) wind in USA, the fight goes on

• Informative
WTI $110.4
Brent $114.2

Depressing opinion piece, some facts in support

Russian forces grinding away, very delicate situation
and

Don't ask, don't tell (how you paid)

India gets cheap Russian

LNG outlook obscured

A good global battery storage forecast, with a data point of interest now "Globally in 2021, the grid had 30 gigawatt-hours (GWh) of battery storage installed. We expect that number to be 400 GWh by 2030". Summary interesting, download required for more
download as pdf

ABB battery for Egotricity

European urban heat islands

Last edited:
  • Informative
Mostly for fossil fuels... Not really as a last resort. More like a first priority.

Now California Governor Gavin Newsom (D) has proposed $6.7 billion in additional spending over the coming years to shore up grid reliability. Some of that spending — nearly a billion dollars — would be aimed at expanding carbon-free energy. But much more of it — about $5.2 billion — would likely end up going to gas power plants and diesel backup generators the state hopes it won’t have to use.

Mostly for fossil fuels... Not really as a last resort. More like a first priority.

Now California Governor Gavin Newsom (D) has proposed $6.7 billion in additional spending over the coming years to shore up grid reliability. Some of that spending — nearly a billion dollars — would be aimed at expanding carbon-free energy. But much more of it — about $5.2 billion — would likely end up going to gas power plants and diesel backup generators the state hopes it won’t have to use.

Newsom is pretty much in the utilities' back pocket. The way he's not taken a stand against their fight against solar has been very telling.

WTI $114.2
Brent $117.5

There is a China strategy ?

Don't mention the ban anything

EU help for households

UK help for households

A significant issue, not talked about, "the wind supply wind chain, which is already operating at a loss." (or "why I no longer run a wind turbine manufacturer")

A GW at a time, we get there

Solar in space ....

Onshore wind's biggest problem

Minerals, minerals,

This would be good to see completed

Oil under the sea

EDF stuff

Boring subject #1, grid reliability

A few things I missed recently

Brexit dividends are not just Irish ferries

More payback for Russia happening already, well done Bulgaria & Greece
Electricity good.
NG bad. Gas Infrastructure will be used to destroy the environment long past the current crisis.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Electricity good.
NG bad. Gas Infrastructure will be used to destroy the environment long past the current crisis.
I agree with that .

In this case one can either view this as environmentally neutral, replacing Russian gas with Azeri gas. Or an environmental win as otherwise the Bulgaruans (and Greeks) would need to bring back some mothballed coal plants.

There are also some coal plants (I think) in some of the other Balkan countries that may benefit from replacement by the Azero gas feed, before in due course being replaced by renewable.

So ... let's hope. But I agree with your point.

I agree with that .

In this case one can either view this as environmentally neutral, replacing Russian gas with Azeri gas. Or an environmental win as otherwise the Bulgaruans (and Greeks) would need to bring back some mothballed coal plants.

There are also some coal plants (I think) in some of the other Balkan countries that may benefit from replacement by the Azero gas feed, before in due course being replaced by renewable.

So ... let's hope. But I agree with your point.
It also makes a difference if it is existing or new infrastructure.
From the article, it sounds like this is an already completed pipeline that was just waiting for approval. So the infrastructure was already built.
I would be more concerned if they were building new NG infrastructure.

It also makes a difference if it is existing or new infrastructure.
From the article, it sounds like this is an already completed pipeline that was just waiting for approval. So the infrastructure was already built.
I would be more concerned if they were building new NG infrastructure.
My understanding is the spur to Bulgaria is construction that had been previously authorised, but the construction itself has been accelerated. (much like the Norway-Poland line). As you drive through Greece and Bulgaria (and Hungary and North Macednia, etc) you can see the old coal stations, the various reactor plants, and the oil refineries and the various pipelines.

(Plus increasing numbers of Teslas. In fact a Y parked opposite me now that I see around here a lot. About 3-4 hours drive from the nearest Supercharger, there needs to be a huge Supercharger build out in central and eastern Europe).

People misunderstand how much the EU has done to put in place (or revise) critical energy and military/logistics infrastructure since 2014. It is only because many of these things were done - however slowly - that EU is at all able to withstand Russian energy blackmail. Excpting of course Hungary and Serbia who do their best to support it :(

(A fair bit of the road and port infrastructure that has been going in is - deliberately - sted so as to have a dual military/civil purpose in support of NATO. If you know where to look.)

Anyway it will be interesting to observe the EU summit this week -

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
US markets closed today, in fact lots of countries have hols this week, prices from somewhere

WTI $115.7
Brent $120.1 (both up !)

EU tries again and again and again (Hungary .....)

some one still loves Russia

Tanker traffic rerouting

Not enough ships (I've read 500 Suezmax needed, only 200 exist, so this may be frontrunning the excuses for curtailment)

Iran not playing nicely

Pacific wary of China bearing gifts

India hot on coal, not enough

US offshore West coast wind leases

Recycle big blades, starting now

fossil aid to be cut by G7

Reactions: navguy12 and mspohr
Not a good as it could be.

The G7 communique also failed to cover domestic public sector finance for fossil fuels, with some of the member countries still subsidising fossil fuels and providing hefty tax breaks.

On Thursday, the UK announced a windfall tax on fossil fuel companies, with a loophole that allows them to escape 90% of the levy if they invest in new oil and gas production in the North Sea, despite the UK’s carbon budgets. Critics said this would not help alleviate short-term supply issues as new exploration sites can take decades to come into production, and that it amounted to a de facto subsidy worth billions of pounds for new oil and gas.

• Love
Reactions: petit_bateau
WTI $118.5/bbl
Brent $123.9/bbl

.... because EU has finally inked a deal on banning Russian oil imports, 70+% now, 93% by end year. And there aren't enough tankers to substitute for the pipelines so that oil is going to become substantially stranded inside Russia ....

... full EU gas block deal unlikely, but one by one taps going off

EU taxonomy, lobbying re vote in swing

War may go on a long time

... and in litigation, energy assets are likely to be attractive targets

.... and nuclear in the frame

... and HUngary of course

Hydrogen not an answer

African diesel boom ... until high prices

the shipping thing

uranium stocpiles R us

standard nuclear

That crane is back

China floater at 6MW

China compressed air storage

US DoE storage study, magic is 2-4 hours

WTI $116.3
Brent $117.3

Russia adjusting

US aircon usage now at 88% ..... and I expect Europe will start increasing

Significant renewables wedge in India

Dedicated storage cell factory

47.6% efficiency ...

Hydrogen sense

Notice the scale difference
vs

Reactions: navguy12 and mspohr
WTI $111.5
Brent $112.8

Serbian wind

Battery forecasts to 2030

Grid planning used to be so simple

Advertorial for ABB grid stuff

Complicated widgetry for homes

Brazil solar gangbusters

Italy solar pricing .... read those prices baby

Big grids needed for bigwind and big solar projects

JohnKempReuters chartbook on US natgas

Get ready to hear lots more about CBAM --- as I have said before

careful Poland

lithium recycling

UK nuclear blame game

WTI $116.1
Brent $117.0

Opec mumbles elephant

Please actually make something in UK,

Deeply sceptical am I

Spanish floaters

French solar

Indian solar

(comment -
(1: similar sized deployments
(2: "despite a 17% increase in system costs." is imho where solar is really going

WTI $119.6
Brent $120.4

Portugal going big offshore

maybe onshore solar too

OPEC saying doing gap

Texas ERCOT gap

Midwest MISO gap

Dutch picking up splinters with wind

I wonder how long before 15MW floaters ? (the gap between going out fixed and going out floating is closing, by 20MW could be reversed)

and there will be lots

HV cables need sources

Solar doing the normal

and again

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and bkp_duke