Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Not sure where to post this but lets leave it here. Not quite full V2G but interesting that Ford is making this move with Sunrun. Continue to be impressed by Ford

Reactions: petit_bateau
Climate, weather, whatever ...

More info on the ship collision off NL

Hydrogen demonstrator

Nuclear taxonomy ..... EU proposal for transitional inclusion ....... tbd

ROPEC+ struggle to pump

Heating decarbonisation is difficult if you never try to start ....

Chinese progress on air pollution

UK trade difficulties ... not Brexit of course

... might quickly get a lot worse ...
... very soon ...
... one way or another ...

And the Russian naval task force that is heading for the Black Sea is basically an invasion fleet

which might be some distraction from household energy costs caused by utter stupidity by UK Cons

but more jam tomorrow

Last edited:

Not sure where to post this but lets leave it here. Not quite full V2G but interesting that Ford is making this move with Sunrun. Continue to be impressed by Ford
I'm not sure where V2G will go though I expect it will continue to be a ra-ra poster child by the marketing types. Most people who are proponents are technically incompetent and/or economically delusional. To make a vehicle V2G-ready at (say) 5kW level requires hauling around a $2k grid-tie inverter for the whole lifetime if it is AC-linked. (and the weight and volume). On the other hand to be DC-linked typically ties one into proprietary solutions and simply moves the cost into the house. Overall I don't think we will see huge V2G uptake.

A small amount of V2H may come through - the 1kW non-grid-tie inverter in the site-vehicle market and/or recreational vehicle market.

I have more time for Ford than for GM or Chrysler, so I share that sentiment.

I'm not sure where V2G will go though I expect it will continue to be a ra-ra poster child by the marketing types. Most people who are proponents are technically incompetent and/or economically delusional. To make a vehicle V2G-ready at (say) 5kW level requires hauling around a $2k grid-tie inverter for the whole lifetime if it is AC-linked. (and the weight and volume). On the other hand to be DC-linked typically ties one into proprietary solutions and simply moves the cost into the house. Overall I don't think we will see huge V2G uptake.

A small amount of V2H may come through - the 1kW non-grid-tie inverter in the site-vehicle market and/or recreational vehicle market.

I have more time for Ford than for GM or Chrysler, so I share that sentiment.

You can have a bi-directional charging module or engineer the drive inverter to output a grid waveform.

Last edited:
You can have a bi-directional charging module or engineer the drive inverter to output a 60Hz waveform.

You can do many things, but not all of them are economically viable, technically attractive, or regulatorily permissible.

My own suspicion is that until a dominant design emerges in the residential stationary storage market, it will not be possible for a tesselating dominant design to emerge in the V2G market. I also suspect that by the time (if ever...) a dominant design emerges in the stationary residential storage market the motivation for V2G will have largely gone. I think V2G must necessarily come second.

I have the scars from working in this area as an engineer and as a business owner, and I am considerably poorer as a result, and I can assure you I tried to thread a way through the minefield carefully. Pretty much the only company that I think might make a go of it is Tesla, and so far as we can all see they are holding back - for what I consider to be very sound reasons. Pretty much the only state that I think could realistically impose a pathway on its industrial players at this point is China, and they too are holding back.

Reactions: transpondster
You can do many things, but not all of them are economically viable, technically attractive, or regulatorily permissible.

My own suspicion is that until a dominant design emerges in the residential stationary storage market, it will not be possible for a tesselating dominant design to emerge in the V2G market. I also suspect that by the time (if ever...) a dominant design emerges in the stationary residential storage market the motivation for V2G will have largely gone. I think V2G must necessarily come second.

I have the scars from working in this area as an engineer and as a business owner, and I am considerably poorer as a result, and I can assure you I tried to thread a way through the minefield carefully. Pretty much the only company that I think might make a go of it is Tesla, and so far as we can all see they are holding back - for what I consider to be very sound reasons. Pretty much the only state that I think could realistically impose a pathway on its industrial players at this point is China, and they too are holding back.

Using an EV to export to the grid is probably going to be a silly idea for another ~10 years. The first step is opportunistic charging as demand response. Exporting makes no sense until we've mastered that skill and we're still A LONG way off.

But using it as an emergency power source would be great. And it's an engineering challenge not a material one. I have an EcoFlow that I'm pretty sure uses the same board that converts DC => AC to convert AC => DC since the charge rate is suspiciously the same as the inverter power. If a $500 battery generator can do this I'm confident a $50k EV can.

Reactions: EVCollies
Using an EV to export to the grid is probably going to be a silly idea for another ~10 years. The first step is opportunistic charging as demand response. Exporting makes no sense until we've mastered that skill and we're still A LONG way off.

But using it as an emergency power source would be great. And it's an engineering challenge not a material one. I have an EcoFlow that I'm pretty sure uses the same board that converts DC => AC to convert AC => DC since the charge rate is suspiciously the same as the inverter power. If a $500 battery generator can do this I'm confident a $50k EV can.
I think we agree ...

I think the islanded cases of Vehicle-to-Site (V2S) or Vehicle-to-Home (V2H) are relatively trivial to achieve, provided of course you laggardly USians agree to accept the global dominant design of 220/240V (none of this wishywashy 110V nonsense) and that we will see vehicles progressively coming to market that do that in the 1-3kW range. I expect they will typically do that with a dedicated DC>AC inverter as they won't want to risk the main vehicle modules on it, plus it will likely typically be an optional factory-specified extra, i.e. real hardware, not just a software-enabled feature.

As any of us know who have ever dealt with real customers - who are 100x worse than even our own Sales&Marketing colleagues - the average user will then go and plug the above V2H solution into their own home whilst it is grid-connected and BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN. Sooner rather than later. That in turn will mean a suefest, making the trivial profit in selling the factory-option go up in smoke even faster than the power electronics. (And that is why they won't want to risk the main modules on it).

I'm cool with Tesla hanging back on this. As I said the only company I think can make a go of it at scale at present is Tesla and they too have people thinking like me saying "whoa there". In fact I have worked with some of them on some aspects of this over the past few decades.

But yes I agree, V2H / V2S will come during this decade. After that let's see where V2G goes.

Ok not really sure where to post this either but we'll put here. Casey is a bit of a polymath. He's quite brilliant, not a bad writer, and a huge fan of space exploration.

I thought the posters here would appreciate this latest missive, a private corporation looking to solve CO2 challenge and make a buck. Impact capitalism. FYI he's a huge Tesla and SpaceX fan.

Different countries pay for their roads different ways. In the UK toll roads are very rare and tolls are very detested.

A lot of the elements of [EU programme] 'Fit for 55' are going to make driving more expensive, there is no way around it.

DeltaEE are one of my favourite consultancies. Here they are sniffing the hydrogen kool-aid

Gas price spike effects give coal a respite

Thoughts on German view re Ukraine/Russia

Sino-Soviet axis strengthening again, expect OPEC to become their client-states (not US-clients)

1600MW stationary storage good for PGE, so why don't they like homeowners doing it

Some choose early exits

India tries to monetise coal before it gets locked in the ground by the energy transition

The hardliners increasingly control fate of UK's Johnson (and most of them hate renewables)

Ok not really sure where to post this either but we'll put here. Casey is a bit of a polymath. He's quite brilliant, not a bad writer, and a huge fan of space exploration.

I thought the posters here would appreciate this latest missive, a private corporation looking to solve CO2 challenge and make a buck. Impact capitalism. FYI he's a huge Tesla and SpaceX fan.
Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

The most obvious use-cases for carbon-neutral fuels are; as liquid in aviation and shipping (or heavy military vehicles, i.e. tanks/AFVs); or as gas in cement manufacture and nitrogen-fertliser manufacture. Pretty much all other use-cases would appear to be better served by direct electrification.

If one constrains the target market to those use-cases alone, then - after noting the "four orders of magnitude" improvement that the authors handwave away - then I wonder how good the business case really looks.

Which is not to say that these things should not be tried. There are many paths to heaven.

I would prefer a few SpaceX shares personally, but they are unobtainable to those of us who are i. smallbeer and ii. non-US. Meanwhile I'll pass on Terraform for now.

Sigh :)

Am I missing something ?

Oil majors back in big profits, for example

Russia-China new gas pipeline for Sakhalin gas

UK protectionists try to squeeze more domestic business out of wind; hampered by WTO barriers same as old EU barriers

Denmark on the renewable liquids trail

Pretty pictures in crane spat show advantages of onshore assembly & tow-out of offshore floaters, and challenges

LNG investment trepidation

It is not often one sees a 20-year HV grid transmission forecast

Reuters distillates chartbook (for oil @ $90/bbl ...... and very often $100+ triggers a recession)

I am so glad I didn't pin my career on Vineyard Wind back in 2002 ...

Everything you ever wanted to know about smart meter comms but were afraid to ask, 101

Frankentwins of hydrogen and carbon capture

LNG may get political (er, but wasn't it always)

Apparently France has enough gas

Which is just as well because Ukraine ain't solved by Macron chatting to Putin

... but bridging equipment is on the move

Meanwhile the British continue to dither

Putin primer

Ukraine energy etc

EU carbon border tax

Last edited:
these two stories are closely related, and not just a UK issue
far right attack net zero
far right attack public health measures

US middle distillates chartbook (courtesy Reuters)
https://tmsnrt.rs/3spHrIX

relates Reuters middle distillates explainer
and
(but in both cases the copy editors have hacked most of the good analysis out of JohnKemp's piece)

more Jones Act compliant vessels

network stabilisation via offshore wind

don't forget the nuclear medical isotopes

US nuclear West Virginia

nuclear take on EU taxonomy draft

UK design approval of China HPR reactor (I'm not clear on where this differs from the EPR design)

lithium prices

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fred42 and ggr
more nasty politics by the Cons

an invasion fleet just playing around ....

California solar NEM 3.0 paused

bankers pivot

shale divestment

UK shale capped

US gets EVs

Offshore wind accelerates

Record global EV sales and battery production

Siemens wind struggles

Vestas wind struggles

Everybody struggles

Intelligent grid trials (UK)

China heft in LNG rising

Carbon price action foreseen

Human rights and renewables

2022 light vehicle ride

IEA finds 800k oil

SpaceX update

The Scottish offshore wind licencing round results just in are very relevant to all USA seabords, Taiwan, Korea, Japan, and some France and Med littorals.

How vulnerable are floating wind installations to serious storms?

How vulnerable are floating wind installations to serious storms?
Thats basically three questions. The gist of the answer is "not that vulnerable" :

1) Do they get destroyed in bad storms ?
= If the storm exceeds the design survival load for the turbine and/or its support assembly, then yes, they can get destroyed. That's exactly why before starting the design process we capure all the environmental data corresponding to the site, then account for deterioration during the turbine & support structure life, then add safety margins on top of that, then add extra margins to account for global warming issues, and then design to meet all that. But this is stuff at sea in the wild, so bad things can still happen, but it would only tend to be the odd failure, not all of them at once.

2) Do they stay running in bad storms ?
= Our technology keeps improving. It used to be that all big turbines stopped completely during bad storms. Now some of them stay operating a little bit except for during the very worst bit. There are control centres onshore where engineers take decisions - typically about when to be more cautious than the atomatic safeties. This is an interesting subject because the geographical span of a typical storm event (approx 500 miles) tends to be larger than the geographical span of a high-power high-voltage grid, i.e. one can end up closing down all the turbines feeding a major load centre (human city region) during the middle of a storm, and not being able to bring in sufficient power from the next-along-area of wind-farms because the grid-connection isn't big enough. The Feb-2021 onshore Texas ERCOT power outage had aspects of this as many of the ERCOT area turbines were shut down due to iceing reasons, but Texas ERCOT is only lightly connected to the adjacent grid zones in the USA and Mexico.

3) Can humans visit them to do Operations & Maintenance (O&M) in bad storms ?
= No, this we plan to definitely not do. This is not like being a hero on an offshore oil & gas platform (where even we were thoughtful about what we did in the worst weather). Instead we basically just monitor if any issues arise on individual turbines, then go out and conduct post-storm O&M when it all calms down. Some of the really big offshore wind farms are getting accomodation units on the main transformer hub platforms so that the post-storm O&M can get going again a bit faster, but the aim is not to be in the individual turbines during severe weather events.