Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Sector News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting points on biomass and timber. If one only knew how much carbon it took to harvest, move, process, and dry the ton of biomass than they'd not bother.
I'm afraid they do know .... but right now the players such as Drax, Enviva, et al simply don't care about carbon. They only care about money and the rest is very thin greenwash masking the carbon reality.

Also the point being made about using biomass for bioliquids (primarily for aviation) rather than bioelectricity is a very fair one.

Seeing more and more projects using Fluence. Fluence is a aes and siemens JV. They have a solutions stack that competes directly with Tesla Energy for commercial battery storage, energy management, bidding.

WTI $80.7/bbl
Brent $85.4/bbl
NL TTF gas €145/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Dutch front-month natural gas futures surged more than 8% to above €140 MWh on Wednesday, the highest in over six weeks, extending the November gain to 17% as traders are coming to terms that frigid winter temperatures will drain gas stockpiles. Storages in the EU were 93.6% full as of November 28th, lower than 93.9% the day before. In Germany, stocks went down to 98.6% from 98.9%.

Bad Russia

Good Ukraine

Very bad Russia
and

Chinese velvet glove

EU sees 34% rise in heat pump installs (we are one of them)

UK court struggles

Regulatory hard talk

Europe weather mild

US at 24% renewables penetration

.... but US installs problematic

Congestion service providers ?

Long life big hydro

Australia big battery progress

Small nuclear with "significant issues"

ITER snagettes

Finland slow nuclear

Chinese waste storage .... just happens to exhibit other interesting features
Excavation of Chinese underground lab begins : Waste & Recycling - World Nuclear News

Serbia is getting a lot of EU care

Mongolia - China rail

Slow progress .... just as expected

... keep an eye on Orban and freeze those funds

Last edited:
Just sharing some interesting startups. This is driven by my realization that Tesla energy has just failed to scale and that the market has emerged (solar and wind) and they'll be unable to meet it. I was curious and started looking for companies other than Tesla providing solutions.

First I read about Fluence. That took me deeper into battery startups and I Realized that Gates vc firm has invested in at least 4 battery firms, quantumscape, ESS, Form Energy, and Our Next Energy (ONE). ONE was featured in a Sandy Munro video earlier this year (or last) and is led by A123 alum. Back in the day I thought A123 had promise. They seem to think that they'll make it this time and supposedly have a client. Unlike the others it is pretty simple- Lithium iron phosphate with a twist to help reduce costs and increase range. We'll see, supposed to be shipping to first client now.

How will they compete with the likes of SES (backed by several OEMs)? no idea..just lots of neat ideas out there besides the 4680.

Quantumscape is a bit famous- solid state batteries. Also featured on Munro Live. Lots of promise in solid state batteries but right now they are still just pencil eraser tiny. Huge publicity...big firm...no product yet. If they ever commercialize it is the end of the game or many competitors.

ESS and Form are both targeting industrial and commercial scale energy with Iron - salt water (ESS) and Iron air (Form). ESS is doing something others have tried before, there was a PA based startup several years ago that tried and failed to scale with saltwater based batteries. ESS is packaging in a shipping container sized offering that scales and supports multiple containers. Bunch of saltwater and iron so you know it's going to be heavy. I have some questions on energy storage on their solution but it's interesting and non toxic.

Form is interesting and seems pretty clearly set on a path to commercial success. Bit more energy/sq meter of space. No products yet. Again, iron and air? Both these companies are thinking (is what I think). They have solutions for the giant raft of solar farms and wind farms. Lower costs than the iron phosphate solutions, they just need to get the first few sales and have them running a year or two.

Then I kept reading and learned about Rondo Energy (gates backed as well so 5)- really neat solution using Iron & bricks (yep) and is focused on energy/heat needs of industrial entities. How cool is that? Most big industrial processes are giant consumers of heat (cracking in a distillation chamber, cement, metals smelting, making good pizza (checking if you are skimming), etc. Very much a company to watch and I wish them every success.

All backed by Bill Gates firm. Used to be the kiss of death for his firm to invest in your energy startup. Now...now the firm looks brilliant with 5 well regarded startups and only 1 needing to really make it for them to have a giant homerun. Frankly I don't see why they can't all be successful.

Companies like Fluence will be buyers if the utility/energy ones can get any traction.

Then there are companies like Amprius that are focused on niche markets- aviation in this case.

Just sharing some interesting startups. This is driven by my realization that Tesla energy has just failed to scale and that the market has emerged (solar and wind) and they'll be unable to meet it. I was curious and started looking for companies other than Tesla providing solutions.

First I read about Fluence. That took me deeper into battery startups and I Realized that Gates vc firm has invested in at least 4 battery firms, quantumscape, ESS, Form Energy, and Our Next Energy (ONE). ONE was featured in a Sandy Munro video earlier this year (or last) and is led by A123 alum. Back in the day I thought A123 had promise. They seem to think that they'll make it this time and supposedly have a client. Unlike the others it is pretty simple- Lithium iron phosphate with a twist to help reduce costs and increase range. We'll see, supposed to be shipping to first client now.

How will they compete with the likes of SES (backed by several OEMs)? no idea..just lots of neat ideas out there besides the 4680.

Quantumscape is a bit famous- solid state batteries. Also featured on Munro Live. Lots of promise in solid state batteries but right now they are still just pencil eraser tiny. Huge publicity...big firm...no product yet. If they ever commercialize it is the end of the game or many competitors.

ESS and Form are both targeting industrial and commercial scale energy with Iron - salt water (ESS) and Iron air (Form). ESS is doing something others have tried before, there was a PA based startup several years ago that tried and failed to scale with saltwater based batteries. ESS is packaging in a shipping container sized offering that scales and supports multiple containers. Bunch of saltwater and iron so you know it's going to be heavy. I have some questions on energy storage on their solution but it's interesting and non toxic.

Form is interesting and seems pretty clearly set on a path to commercial success. Bit more energy/sq meter of space. No products yet. Again, iron and air? Both these companies are thinking (is what I think). They have solutions for the giant raft of solar farms and wind farms. Lower costs than the iron phosphate solutions, they just need to get the first few sales and have them running a year or two.

Then I kept reading and learned about Rondo Energy (gates backed as well so 5)- really neat solution using Iron & bricks (yep) and is focused on energy/heat needs of industrial entities. How cool is that? Most big industrial processes are giant consumers of heat (cracking in a distillation chamber, cement, metals smelting, making good pizza (checking if you are skimming), etc. Very much a company to watch and I wish them every success.

All backed by Bill Gates firm. Used to be the kiss of death for his firm to invest in your energy startup. Now...now the firm looks brilliant with 5 well regarded startups and only 1 needing to really make it for them to have a giant homerun. Frankly I don't see why they can't all be successful.

Companies like Fluence will be buyers if the utility/energy ones can get any traction.

Then there are companies like Amprius that are focused on niche markets- aviation in this case.
I love pizza ;)

WTI $80.3/bbl
Brent $85.9/bbl
NL TTF gas €135/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Russian onslaught continues ....

.... with this aim

.... and this consequence : $60 cap on Russian oil agreed by EU

... and more help will be rquired

Small car company delivers one big lorry in remote southern state

Price rises are real

Sizing up storage

Discounts driving traffic

WTI $82.4/bbl
Brent $88.0/bbl
NL TTF gas €135/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

temperatures across Europe continued to fall raising demand for heating and reducing stockpiles. Storages in the EU were 91.6% full as of December 4th, below 91.9% the day before. Meanwhile, gas flows on the Yamal-Europe pipeline to Poland from Germany fell to zero while flows via Ukraine continued despite the EU’s bar on seaborne Russian oil imports and an oil price cap on Russian oil coming into effect. Also, last week negotiations started on a European Commission proposal for a cap on gas prices, and members are racing to reach a deal by December 13th.

Tit begets tat, except that targetting military assets is legal, unlike the war crime of targetting civil infrastructure

China unlocks Covid box of Pandora ...
and

China-Saudi axis of realpolitik

Fantastic summary of Tesla Semi

Shale : ROI wanted as money talks

Decarbonising chemicals

Getting ready for the 20MW units

Brazil juggernaut

... and in related news

Big battery live in .... Brazil

Somebody else's money is always preferable

GE-Simens patent spats

Politics hurts ourselves, UK (not that this is a project going anywhere fast, if at all, ever)

Adaptation matters, great result

China - Laos rail, working

WTI $76.0/bbl
Brent $81.8/bbl
NL TTF gas €133/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Quite a drop in oil prices. Wonder to what extent the Russia cap has caused that.

About that EU gas cap

Big HV cables, progress on Ireland-France

Oops, France

US grid vandalism

Japanese solar snail

V2H, Panasonic

IEA re renewables acceleration

Interesting flattening of US aviation fuel

EU standard gauge with everything

Iran slow burn
and

WTI $72.7bbl
Brent $78.9/bbl
NL TTF gas €149/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

ZNPP belong to Ukraine (as if there was ever any doubt)

Russian dark tankers

... mixed cap results

Delayed ? of course not !

Funding difficulties, that is why 50% required

Lots of residential batteries, BYD has surpassed Sonnen to become the leading battery supplier

Shipowners et al ask for forced switch - to ammonia, now !

.... and on cue more hydrogen is coming (to make that ammonia)

UK, too little too late

BML for PV

India for gas, obviously smog is causing behaviour change

Awareness of grid vulnerability spreads ....

SMR dash for cash, pre revenue

German solar $.06/kWh

Chinese solar juggernaut ....... 20GW :)

What are the chances that Switzerland would implement something like this? Would they really cut peoples electric and could this happen here?

What are the chances that Switzerland would implement something like this? Would they really cut peoples electric and could this happen here?
In all of Europe (both EU and UK) there are a set of tiered emergency plans for different levels of energy shortages, of different types of energy or of all of them. Every country has been rapidly revising them the last year due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Indeed, at some levels access to energy for non-essential purposes is curtailed. At extreme levels it is basically just military + emergency services + critical utilities that get access to fuel and electricity.

So public purchase of gasoline or diesel to drive for pleasure both get curtailed, as does the corresponding amount of BEV-juice. If you generate your own, that does not get curtailed.

So, yes this stuff is true, but is being presented in an alarmist way to drive anti-BEV FUD.

I have no idea what is the status in the USA. Actually I do, but the planning is so disorganised in the USA for this stuff that it makes one wince.

WTI $72.4bbl
Brent $77.1/bbl
NL TTF gas €138/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

Yesterday oil prices dropped, today gas has followed, despite the icy blast coming down from the north across Europe.

US has succeesfully auctioned 8GW wind on West coast, all floaters I think

US next up auction is 4GW offshore NJ

Massive battery uptake

Polishing a turd

UK bad
and

Germany good

Oil sanctions bite Turkish bottlenect

Reuters take on yesterday's IEA report

WTI $72.3bbl
Brent $77.1/bbl
NL TTF gas €138/MWh (EU Natural Gas - 2022 Data - 2010-2021 Historical - 2023 Forecast - Price - Quote)

China baby steps

EU-USA trade war / maybe

Now that is what I call a big number, 176GW wind for Brazil

Internal EU politicking

Name and shame

Ukraine energy

Honest, real German hydrogen

Honest, a real USA hydrogen project

It is all about batteries

It is also all about heat pumps

Greenwashing of biofuels

UK politics

Turkish-Asia rail

I have to say the energy analysts, EIA and others, so massively underestimated everything about renewables that I don't know how to take anything that comes from a govt source re renewable projections.
I know what you mean. It does depend to an extent which country ....... I'm guessing you mean the US's EIA. I find their factual backwards-looking and current stuff to be good, but their forwards-looking stuff to be patchy.

This stuff varies by country, by organisation, and by individual/team. So for example some US national labs (e.g. Sandia, NREL, etc) have different de facto industry affiliations and that has definitely coloured their past work. Also I have noticed some stuff get curtailed for essentially political reasons. The general quality of work is improving in the Western and Asian world imho. Even IEA are beginning to put out some stuff that indicates they are getting it (though always check their projections carefully as they are very often just fossil lobby material).

One has to know enough to recognise stuff that fails the sniff test.