Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy Stored on energy invested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody knows how much energy is required to make Tesla batteries as compared to the amount of energy they will store.
I'm tired of all the naysayers against renewable energy saying that batteries and solar, together, require more energy to make than what they'll produce (for world powered primarily by solar and wind).
I'm asking here because I know Tesla is most probably the most efficient battery manufacturer.
Thanks in advance,
Robert

This article might help:

That Tesla Battery Emissions Study Making the Rounds? It's Bunk.

It concludes that "the battery's carbon footprint is zeroed out in less than three years". That's comparing carbon emissions, not energy stored. But if you're concerned about the greenness of a vehicle, I think carbon is a more useful metric. Tesla provides an eight-year, unlimited-miles battery warranty. So it's safe to expect most batteries to last at least that long.

This study has a more detailed analysis and gives a rather lower number:

http://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default...ner-Cars-from-Cradle-to-Grave-full-report.pdf

For a full-size 265-mile-range BEV, manufacturing emissions are approximately 68 percent, or 6 tons of CO2e higher than a comparable conventional gasoline vehicle.

By my estimate I avoid emitting about five tons of CO2 annually by driving my Tesla instead of an ICE vehicle. That means my Tesla broke even, in carbon footprint terms, after just a little over one year. However that number could vary quite a bit, depending on your driving habits and local grid power.