Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Energy tariff choices, smart meters general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently having an issue with getting a smart meter fitted.
Apparently we do not have sufficient signal coverage with the Arqiva WAN, even though we live in a fairly big village just south of York.

I've got a M3 RWD on order and would like to take advantage of tiered tariffs to keep down the cost of charging.

Is there any way to 'encourage' Arqiva to increase their coverage?
Failing that does anyone have insight in to what other options I may have?

I feel for you. Sorry to say but you might find yourself in for a long wait. I had my smart meters fitted last week, nearly 2 and a half years after I first requested them from octopus. The reason for us was that the signal on typical smart meters interfered with signals from RAF Fylingdales so no one in our postcode was allowed to have one installed. The fact that the signal was 26 miles away from us made no difference. We couldn't have smart meter until new tech was introduced that wouldn't interfere. That took two years.

In that time, I sent pretty much quarterly emails asking for updates on progress so I was pressing them for due dates for rollout. They did all they could but they were dependent on third parties who were delivering the tech.

Other than that, find an Economy 7 tariff if you can (Octopus have one and feel free to PM for a referral link for them if this info is useful). You're still paying well over 20p a kWh at night but at least it's cheaper than many tariffs.

Thought that may be the case. We are a couple of miles from an airfield, so that may be a factor.
Eon Next didn’t seem to have a clue how to push forwards.
I wouldn’t mind so much, but I have direct line of sight to the water tower that hosts all of these types of comms.

I just switched to Octopus also yesterday.
Had to join their variable service for starters and will switch to Intelligent shortly (I can’t remember the next step/action on that? Might have to call back).

Submitted readings last night, got a goodbye email from Shell (we were switched to them when previous supplier went bust). Think I’m due to change over in the next two days.

My wife said; hang on, you’ve moved to one with 40p costs during the day? We both work from home during the day. Am I right in my response that the 29p we currently pay will soon increase, perhaps substantially, and importantly as we will soon be charging a Tesla at night, this will by far be the most affordable way.
Cheers!
(Also; got my reg through this morning!)

Reactions: Toblerone
Had to join their variable service for starters and will switch to Intelligent shortly (I can’t remember the next step/action on that? Might have to call back).

Submitted readings last night, got a goodbye email from Shell (we were switched to them when previous supplier went bust). Think I’m due to change over in the next two days.

My wife said; hang on, you’ve moved to one with 40p costs during the day? We both work from home during the day. Am I right in my response that the 29p we currently pay will soon increase, perhaps substantially, and importantly as we will soon be charging a Tesla at night, this will by far be the most affordable way.
Cheers!
I WFH too and TBH that's a valid concern to me as well, it doesn't help when I only drive less than 30 mi daily so I don't think I'd save much by letting my car charger over night.

Cheers!
Come October you would be on 52p (new cap) so it's good to be on 40p! Except you will be charging the car at 7.5p so your averaged price in your bill will be below what you have been paying ... and you are protected from the next increases coming up ... and if you see another better option you can jump onto another tariff without penalty.

British Gas are now offering an Electric Vehicle tariff. Electricity peak rate is coming out at 10p a unit more than the SVR for me, with the of-peak rate being £0.12 a unit. I've just switched, even though I suspect the total cost will be about the same for me as I'm not a high mileage user - or I may even be worse off! However, happy to take that risk. Also, worth it simply because I'll have the slightly warm feeling that I can fully charge my MY for under a tenner.

British Gas are now offering an Electric Vehicle tariff. Electricity peak rate is coming out at 10p a unit more than the SVR for me, with the of-peak rate being £0.12 a unit. I've just switched, even though I suspect the total cost will be about the same for me as I'm not a high mileage user - or I may even be worse off! However, happy to take that risk. Also, worth it simply because I'll have the slightly warm feeling that I can fully charge my MY for under a tenner.
Had a look, rates seem similar to a new quote with Octopus however I'm concerned that it's a variable tariff.

1668863306764.png