Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engadget claims Bolt cheaper than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That will be $8,000 after adding Supercharger access. Maybe a little less. WHo knows? In any case the Bolt will be cheaper than the Tesla for the next decade or so, as only a handful of Model 3 buyers will get the entire $7500 credit. And it will take years and years before GM reaches those numbers. You guys are way too sensitive. Kind of like the smoking hot wife who always asks if her clothes make her look fat. LMAO. The Bolt is a nice competitor to the leaf and i3, for a driver who just wants an electric car. But, it's not in the same league as the Model 3 will be (if they ever build the car...)
I suggest you read the following article which estimates GM will phase out the tax credit sooner than Tesla: When Will The $7,500 US Credit Expire For The Tesla Model 3...And Everyone Else?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
That will be $8,000 after adding Supercharger access. Maybe a little less. WHo knows? In any case the Bolt will be cheaper than the Tesla for the next decade or so, as only a handful of Model 3 buyers will get the entire $7500 credit. And it will take years and years before GM reaches those numbers. You guys are way too sensitive. Kind of like the smoking hot wife who always asks if her clothes make her look fat. LMAO. The Bolt is a nice competitor to the leaf and i3, for a driver who just wants an electric car. But, it's not in the same league as the Model 3 will be (if they ever build the car...)

Chevrolet has already sold 100,000 Volts, the vast majority in the USA. Plus it's sold some Sparks and ELR in the USA as well.

If it continues at 2k Volts per month and sells 2k Bolts per month (because it doesn't want to/can't make any more), it'd be hitting the 200,000 in 2019Q1, so incentives would be gone by 2020Q3. I don't think 4 years really counts at "years and years".

Chevrolet has already sold 100,000 Volts, the vast majority in the USA. Plus it's sold some Sparks and ELR in the USA as well.

If it continues at 2k Volts per month and sells 2k Bolts per month (because it doesn't want to/can't make any more), it'd be hitting the 200,000 in 2019Q1, so incentives would be gone by 2020Q3. I don't think 4 years really counts at "years and years".
I think the CT6 PHEV would also count, though I don't expect them to sell 2k a month of those...

• Informative
Reactions: chipmunk
Yeah the Volt MSRP is now lower than what it was when they first started selling it.
In inflation adjusted 2016 dollars, the Volt is about $10,000 cheaper than it was in 2011. They first dropped the price in 2013 and increased the battery capacity slightly, as I recall. Did something similar in 2015.

Electrek also notes that the Bolt EV price in Canada is effectively almost $6,000 cheaper than it is in the US presumably because Canada does not have a national EV incentive. This implies they have plenty of room to drop the US price as the federal tax credit runs dry.

Uh GM is halfway there already. If the Bolt proves successful, if a GM buyer don't get one this year or next they probably won't be able get the full credit (after the 2 qtr point) either.
Yeah, people keep forgetting that the Volt counts toward the quota (as does the Spark EV), so GM doesn't really have an advantage in terms of the credit timeline.

This brings up an interesting question. The tax incentive is perhaps a nice way to stimulate EV development, but what happens when the benefit for early companies dries up and other companies start building EVs? The price at that point has come down, and the incentive presumably is no longer needed, but unless the policy is completely revoked, late comers will end up having a competitive advantage for awhile over the earlier companies who pioneered the technology. This is highly undesirable. Hopefully, that gets addressed somehow.

• Funny
Absolutely. I'm a proud Model S owner after all. But some readers are more price sensitive than others. Similarly, it frustrates me when I read articles claiming that the Model X is a $120k+ car. While it's true many cost that much, they start WAY lower. This kind of misinformation prevents people from even considering a car that they may actually be able to afford.

I had a nice time talking to the lady who brought her Model X 90 to the Huntsville Drive Electric EVent this past weekend. She said hers started at about $100k before she checked off every available option. But, WOW, it was seriously sweet!

Uh GM is halfway there already. If the Bolt proves successful, if a GM buyer don't get one this year or next they probably won't be able get the full credit (after the 2 qtr point) either.
Yep, people forget (or choose to ignore the fact) that sales of the Volt and Spark EV count against GM's 200K total.

(Note to self: Refresh the page and read any new posts before responding... sorry for being redundant.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
It's amazing how many online magazines are rushing forward to make sure I never click links to their sites ever again.

? I don't understand.

If a site keeps publishing click-bait articles, eventually, discerning readers will stop visiting the site altogether... even if the site may have other articles that are factual and well-written.

Last edited:
If a site keeps publishing click-bait articles, eventually, discerning readers will stop visiting the site altogether... even if the site may have other articles that are factual and well-written.
Correct. That's why [SINKING ANCHOR], The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, TheStreet, The Motley Fool, et al never get my clicks. It is also why other sites, such as EnGadget, rarely get my clicks any more. The fact that there is no balance whatsoever when it comes to Tesla Motors simply gets on my nerves. Worst of all is when a Header or Title line mentions Tesla, but is about something else entirely, and is broken up into multiple part web stories on pages that are filled top to bottom with advertisements, popups, and videos of things I am not interested in at all.

Correct. That's why [SINKING ANCHOR], The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, TheStreet, The Motley Fool, et al never get my clicks. It is also why other sites, such as EnGadget, rarely get my clicks any more. The fact that there is no balance whatsoever when it comes to Tesla Motors simply gets on my nerves. Worst of all is when a Header or Title line mentions Tesla, but is about something else entirely, and is broken up into multiple part web stories on pages that are filled top to bottom with advertisements, popups, and videos of things I am not interested in at all.
Do you think that the article below is untrue or Tesla bashing or ?
The Chevy Bolt will start at $29,995 after federal tax credit

I trust your judgment. I didn't see Tesla mentioned.

I had a nice time talking to the lady who brought her Model X 90 to the Huntsville Drive Electric EVent this past weekend. She said hers started at about $100k before she checked off every available option. But, WOW, it was seriously sweet!
That's great! The Model X actually starts at $74k though, for a 60D before any incentives, and that still includes a pretty impressive list of features. I guess even owners get it wrong.

Engadget is a joke with regards to this "area of expertise"... This is the same publication that continued to erroneously tweet that Tesla had disabled key safety features on the Model X when that wasn't the case at all. At some point last year they flipped from being supportive of Tesla to slanderously critical. While I'm not exactly sure "why", I think it's safe to assume it was due to "someone" buying advertising or what have you, in exchange for a change in the way they view Tesla...

Jeff

Reactions: Garlan Garner