Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engadget claims Bolt cheaper than Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
is that a thing?...prices can DROP on cars? it seems like manufacturers add 1 new feature and charge $750 more every year. I've never actually seen the MSRP go down from one year to the next.

It is possible that GM will drop the price $2500 by the time the Model 3 ships just to retain price parity. Even if these two EVs aren't in the same class.

Nobody knows what the Model 3 will sell for.

AND, nobody knows what the Bolt will sell for.

GM Points and Costco discounts will certainly affect the Chevy's price.

If supply is less than demand, dealers will gouge on the MSRP. If supply is high, they will offer discounts.

He forgot (or did so on purpose) the Model 3 is $35k before tax credit. He should just keep the last sentence out.
I really doubt any base 35k Model 3 will be eligible for the fed tax credit, as future Model S/X and loaded/well optioned 3 sales will probably eat up all the remaining credits. Unless congress renews/implements a new credit program (fat chance on that!).

People wanting a base Model 3 may have to wait until 2019, based off the fact base Model X's still haven't been delivered to anyone almost 1 year after the 1st Model X was sold.

is that a thing?...prices can DROP on cars? it seems like manufacturers add 1 new feature and charge $750 more every year. I've never actually seen the MSRP go down from one year to the next.
Yeah the Volt MSRP is now lower than what it was when they first started selling it.

Nobody knows what the Model 3 will sell for.

AND, nobody knows what the Bolt will sell for.

GM Points and Costco discounts will certainly affect the Chevy's price.

If supply is less than demand, dealers will gouge on the MSRP. If supply is high, they will offer discounts.
At this point it is pretty safe to say that with select dealers getting the first shipments discounts are not likely to be had. The Bolt is a nice EV. I would be surprised if they couldn't sell through their first 30K or so pretty quickly.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
When the Gen 2 Volt was released, we bought one for our son. Mark Christopher had about 20 of them on the lot to choose from. They even discounted it, and including all taxes and incentives, the final cost was $25k or about $10k under MSRP.

If supply is the same way with the Bolt, expect $33k OTD final cost for a Premier with all options and taxes. We have almost 9% tax on cars, trucks and motorcycles in Kalifornia, even when sold used, or sold 10 times in a year.

Then the registration is another tax added each year. It's not a registration fee, it's a tax.

• Informative
The key point here is that Tesla is not representing that the Model 3 will be eligible for a $7,500 tax credit. Once a company sells 200,000 electric vehicles, the tax credit is phased out. See article here:

Musk Hints Tesla Could Try To Maximize Tax Credit-Eligible Model 3 Deliveries After Credit Expires - HybridCars.com
Wrong. The credit begins to phase out after 200,000 EVs are sold in the US, not worldwide. Also, what Elon was saying is that he would consider timing deliveries such that the maximum amount of people can obtain a credit, once the phase out is in view. Tesla is doing the ethical thing to report the price before incentives.

When the Gen 2 Volt was released, we bought one for our son. Mark Christopher had about 20 of them on the lot to choose from. They even discounted it, and including all taxes and incentives, the final cost was $25k or about $10k under MSRP.

If supply is the same way with the Bolt, expect $33k OTD final cost for a Premier with all options and taxes. We have almost 9% tax on cars, trucks and motorcycles in Kalifornia, even when sold used, or sold 10 times in a year.

Then the registration is another tax added each year. It's not a registration fee, it's a tax.
But what about the Gen 1 when it first came out?

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/20/the-all-electric-chevy-bolt-costs-30-000
https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/20/the-all-electric-chevy-bolt-costs-30-000
I feel this kind of inaccurate reporting is harmful to public perception.

Quoting the article:

The company is banking on the $7,500 federal tax credit making the LT's standard price more attractive, bringing it down to a cool $29,995. For those keeping track at home, that's just over $5,000 cheaper than the Tesla Model 3.​
Would you pay $5000 for a much better looking car that can go cross country charging for free, I would.

Would you pay $5000 for a much better looking car that can go cross country charging for free, I would.
That will be $8,000 after adding Supercharger access. Maybe a little less. WHo knows? In any case the Bolt will be cheaper than the Tesla for the next decade or so, as only a handful of Model 3 buyers will get the entire $7500 credit. And it will take years and years before GM reaches those numbers. You guys are way too sensitive. Kind of like the smoking hot wife who always asks if her clothes make her look fat. LMAO. The Bolt is a nice competitor to the leaf and i3, for a driver who just wants an electric car. But, it's not in the same league as the Model 3 will be (if they ever build the car...)

That will be $8,000 after adding Supercharger access. Maybe a little less. WHo knows? In any case the Bolt will be cheaper than the Tesla for the next decade or so, as only a handful of Model 3 buyers will get the entire $7500 credit. And it will take years and years before GM reaches those numbers. You guys are way too sensitive. Kind of like the smoking hot wife who always asks if her clothes make her look fat. LMAO. The Bolt is a nice competitor to the leaf and i3, for a driver who just wants an electric car. But, it's not in the same league as the Model 3 will be (if they ever build the car...)
Uh GM is halfway there already. If the Bolt proves successful, if a GM buyer don't get one this year or next they probably won't be able get the full credit (after the 2 qtr point) either.

Absolutely. I'm a proud Model S owner after all. But some readers are more price sensitive than others. Similarly, it frustrates me when I read articles claiming that the Model X is a $120k+ car. While it's true many cost that much, they start WAY lower. This kind of misinformation prevents people from even considering a car that they may actually be able to afford.

Yea, I agree. The Bolt probably will be cheaper than the 3 if only because tesla may have used up their full Fed credits before then.
But, I think that Bolt is overpriced and not a real competitor to the Model 3. I certainly won't be cancelling my reservation for another EV Econobox.