Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engaging Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car a year now and while I understand things take time to implement, one particular irritant is how, when engaging autosteer, if I'm not in the exactly the correct place in the lane, the car lurches violently into what it decides is the correct position...at least it does on mine. How hard can it be to have the software gently move the car into position...or am I asking too much?

Reactions: Percebe and Jez_GB
I've had my car a year now and while I understand things take time to implement, one particular irritant is how, when engaging autosteer, if I'm not in the exactly the correct place in the lane, the car lurches violently into what it decides is the correct position...at least it does on mine. How hard can it be to have the software gently move the car into position...or am I asking too much?
Yup. That's what it does. Wife encourages me to get centred before engaging. Strongly. I'm getting better while awaiting appropriate software update.

I'd be a big fan of chill mode applying to how autopilot moves. It brakes hard and late, and accelerates too rapidly for my liking. They could make it like a first class chauffeur so I can comfortably drink a cup of tea (while limited to 37mph in a motorway traffic jam next year 🤪)

I'm hopeful that fsd beta would bring much improved, safer, path finding. What other hope is there?!

Yup. Me too. And, I have to wrestle at roundabouts to break out of it 🙏

I used to have this all the time but I've managed to adjust my habits so that I generally start Autosteer, in the same position that it would want me to be in.

I've also started flicking Autopilot off using the stick before manually changing lanes etc, to remove that sudden swerve when it finally relinquishes control.

Reactions: markbingley
I had my M3LR delivered yesterday and had the same experience with Autosteer once it was calibrated. I wasn't expecting it so it made my heart pump a little faster when the car jerked to the side. I guess it takes some getting used to. I'm also on the delivery software version, so I'll see if it improves once it updates.

I had my M3LR delivered yesterday and had the same experience with Autosteer once it was calibrated. I wasn't expecting it so it made my heart pump a little faster when the car jerked to the side. I guess it takes some getting used to. I'm also on the delivery software version, so I'll see if it improves once it updates.

Nope, it's a "feature" and has been for a long time - it's not something that has changed in recent updates. You learn pretty quick to just get into the right position within the lane before engaging it.

Reactions: Tinca
Nope, it's a "feature" and has been for a long time - it's not something that has changed in recent updates. You learn pretty quick to just get into the right position within the lane before engaging it.

Trying to outsmart it and position in a particular part of the road or lane is a bit hit or miss because the road markings are constantly changing - probably on a motorway you have a better chance than on a single lane carriageway. What I can't understand is why the adjustment by autopilot to position itself satisfactorily has to be violent rather than smooth.

Trying to outsmart it and position in a particular part of the road or lane is a bit hit or miss because the road markings are constantly changing - probably on a motorway you have a better chance than on a single lane carriageway. What I can't understand is why the adjustment by autopilot to position itself satisfactorily has to be violent rather than smooth.

You're only supposed to use it on motorways/equivalent.