Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engine Sound Modules? - Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) and Boombox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a engine sound module at all? Is it even possible? If so which one, costs etc. I was parked next to Porsche Taycan yesterday, charging and it sounded well nice as it cruised away! Sounded very futuristic.

Thanks

I noticed that a Jaguar EV has some noise when it reverses, kind of a humming sound.
I really enjoy the quiet drive, but would like to be able to turn on a noise when I reverse and it is to improve safety. Pedestrians just don't hear the car and some people are quite scared when you reverse quietly and they suddenly see you without any audible warning.

I noticed that a Jaguar EV has some noise when it reverses, kind of a humming sound.
I really enjoy the quiet drive, but would like to be able to turn on a noise when I reverse and it is to improve safety. Pedestrians just don't hear the car and some people are quite scared when you reverse quietly and they suddenly see you without any audible warning.

I see what you mean. Depends how loud it is though. For someone like me who leaves home at 6:30 in the morning the sound of a reversing lorry sound would not be appreciated by my neighbors ;)

What about fitting one of those “yard of ale” sized air horns the big lorries have, that should liven them up, you might have to fit splash guards to the car though😂

Each to their own mate. That wasn't the reason I bought my M3P.

Miltek seem to do a cool unit. A lot mot expensive than I had anticipated though!

Someone has installed it on a model x.

Looks similar to the Hannshow kit, not sure how much the Miltek kit is but Hannshow one is $999 or $1299 depending on whether you want single speaker/exhaust or double.

I believe this is what Boombox (part of the miserable 'holiday release') is meant to do. You need the hardware (most Model 3's seem to have the wiring loom but not the speaker, (which is easy to retrofit) but its not enabled in this country even for Pedestrian Warning System functionality although that may change when PWS becomes mandatory, currently only the case for new model introductions. Someone has previously cast doubt on the legality of 'boombox' functionality which would scupper anything other the official Tesla PWS noises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardo

Horn not working? 🤣

I believe this is what Boombox (part of the miserable 'holiday release') is meant to do. You need the hardware (most Model 3's seem to have the wiring loom but not the speaker, which is easy to retrofit) but its not enabled in this country even for Pedestrian Warning System functionality although that may change when PWS becomes mandatory, currently only the case for new model introductions. Someone has previously cast doubt on the legality of 'boombox' functionality which would scupper anything other the official Tesla PWS noises.
Thanks mate. I'll look into this.

Looks similar to the Hannshow kit, not sure how much the Miltek kit is but Hannshow one is $999 or $1299 depending on whether you want single speaker/exhaust or double.

Cheers mate. I'll have a look. I got a quote from a place in Glasgow for 2.8k plus fitting costs! That was for a dual. My jaw about hit the floor! Haha.

I believe this is what Boombox (part of the miserable 'holiday release') is meant to do. You need the hardware (most Model 3's seem to have the wiring loom but not the speaker, which is easy to retrofit) but its not enabled in this country even for Pedestrian Warning System functionality although that may change when PWS becomes mandatory, currently only the case for new model introductions. Someone has previously cast doubt on the legality of 'boombox' functionality which would scupper anything other the official Tesla PWS noises.
This.

It’s apparently quite easy to attach a suitable speaker to the existing blanked off plug, however the difficulty is getting Tesla to enable the functionality.

This.

It’s apparently quite easy to attach a suitable speaker to the existing blanked off plug, however the difficulty is getting Tesla to enable the functionality.
They seem to have no difficulty at all in enabling the ability for you to give them money😂 they have also no difficulty in being downright awkward and obstructive after you have done so😡
Customer and service are two words that can never be used together by Tesla sadly