Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engineered durability ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone understand how many miles the Model 3 is engineered for before it starts failing. Thanks for any input.
No one except the Tesla drivetrain engineering staff can answer your question with any degree of accuracy. Everyone else is simply guessing or, as demonstrated by some posts in this thread, joking around and having fun with your question.

The motors and battery should last a long time. It may not have the punch it once did and the range will likely be decreased, but those should keep on kicking.

What I'm more worried about is the suspension and drivetrain. Tesla has instilled zero confidence that these are durable or reliable. You don't hear about it because people love their car so much, but lots of people reporting they've had more drivetrain replacements than fingers on one hand. Yikes. That's completely unacceptable for any car and doesn't happen with any other car manufacturer.

Reactions: Neohippy
The motors and battery should last a long time. It may not have the punch it once did and the range will likely be decreased, but those should keep on kicking.

What I'm more worried about is the suspension and drivetrain. Tesla has instilled zero confidence that these are durable or reliable. You don't hear about it because people love their car so much, but lots of people reporting they've had more drivetrain replacements than fingers on one hand. Yikes. That's completely unacceptable for any car and doesn't happen with any other car manufacturer.

Motors = Drive-train OR Motors <> Drive-train? Which is it? I see many posts where people have had +5 drive-train replacements, which seem to have included the motor. So, can someone clarify what the difference is? Thx.

Motors = Drive-train OR Motors <> Drive-train? Which is it? I see many posts where people have had +5 drive-train replacements, which seem to have included the motor. So, can someone clarify what the difference is? Thx.
Most of the "drive train" replacements have been for odd noises (klunking, etc.) in the drive shafts and not any problem with the motors themselves. They usually replace the entire drive train since it is easy to take the entire thing out and replace it. They send it back to the factory for reconditioning. They don't want the service centers spending time taking apart the drive train to repair it since the factory has the trained people and parts.

Reactions: RobStark
Most of the "drive train" replacements have been for odd noises (klunking, etc.) in the drive shafts and not any problem with the motors themselves. They usually replace the entire drive train since it is easy to take the entire thing out and replace it. They send it back to the factory for reconditioning. They don't want the service centers spending time taking apart the drive train to repair it since the factory has the trained people and parts.

Thanks. I thought that would make sense, but wasn't sure. Motors have been around way too long to not be able to run nearly forever. Aside from bearings, everything else should practically last forever if not damaged or contaminated, etc...

Speaking of power train, I understand there is no transmission, but still there must be some kind gear fluid which might need changing. Maybe owners of MS might know?
There's a differential which takes the output from the motor and drives two half shafts. It requires lubrication just like any differential. In fact, some of the early problems with the "drive train" were due to insufficient lubrication in the differential.