Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engineering Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on a hunt for any evidence that the bug report command in the car does anything at all. Anybody ever gotten any response to it? Has a service tech ever been able to manually pull logs and see when you even pressed the button? In the past couple of years I mean. I think originally it probably did something, back when there were only a few thousand cars on the road.

If I remember correctly, it was found that the bug report tool only saves the bug you report(and accompanying logs from around that time) on the car. You have to follow up by calling Tesla, after which they pull the bug report and look at it.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele and zmarty
The limited object detection shown seems to confirm how far away from FSD they are.

Object detection actually seems really good right now after 2018.10.4. My car consistently detects stopped untracked cars at 50mph (above that and its dicey).

The issue seems to be in the physical control part (still limited turns at speed). I can't imagine why they aren't pushing this along...

Wow. That's just about completely useless. Don't they want to know about things that are wrong?

It would be a lot of effort to have somebody listen to and transcribe those bug reports. Have you not noticed that Tesla is stretched pretty thin right now? Every time I interact with them, whether the central customer support or my local service center, I get the feeling that they're barely holding it together. (Only the sales associates manage to create the illusion that everything is going great, no problems.) And Musk seems to keep it that way perpetually, probably intentionally, by consistently promising more than they can deliver and setting ridiculous schedules.

But hey, that's how startups work, right? Most companies would have transitioned out of startup mode by this point, but that's not how Elon rolls.

Reactions: croman
Wow. That's just about completely useless. Don't they want to know about things that are wrong?

I mean, it's not useless. If you call in, they will look at it and refer it to engineering if there's a real problem. It does require effort on the part of the bug reporter, but they're essentially using that as a filter.

I will say that it'd be nice if the car told you that when you do a bug report.

Object detection actually seems really good right now after 2018.10.4. My car consistently detects stopped untracked cars at 50mph (above that and its dicey).

The issue seems to be in the physical control part (still limited turns at speed). I can't imagine why they aren't pushing this along...

Ditto. Beyond just stopped cars at arbitrary angles, it's now detecting and reacting to turning vehicles, cross traffic, bicyclists, pedestrians stepping into crosswalks, and heck even a pedestrian walking a bicycle across the road on my way to work last week.

Overall I'd say they're showing that Tesla Vision can be trained to recognize a lot of things. Just concrete barriers are not one of them (yet).

Reactions: croman
Ditto. Beyond just stopped cars at arbitrary angles, it's now detecting and reacting to turning vehicles, cross traffic, bicyclists, pedestrians stepping into crosswalks, and heck even a pedestrian walking a bicycle across the road on my way to work last week.

Overall I'd say they're showing that Tesla Vision can be trained to recognize a lot of things. Just concrete barriers are not one of them (yet).

There is recognising things as obstacles and there is recognising what they are, which way they are facing, what they are likely to do next...

That's why even Musk thinks it won't happen until 2020, and he's been saying 2 years out since 2015.

I mean, it's not useless. If you call in, they will look at it and refer it to engineering if there's a real problem. It does require effort on the part of the bug reporter, but they're essentially using that as a filter.

I will say that it'd be nice if the car told you that when you do a bug report.

Well, there's that, but the point is that I could pick up the phone and call Tesla without doing the "bug report" thing in the car, and they would still presumably be able to pull the exact same log data. So that basically makes it the Tesla equivalent of those placebo crosswalk buttons that do nothing but say the word "wait".

Well, there's that, but the point is that I could pick up the phone and call Tesla without doing the "bug report" thing in the car, and they would still presumably be able to pull the exact same log data. So that basically makes it the Tesla equivalent of those placebo crosswalk buttons that do nothing but say the word "wait".
My understanding is that doing a voice bug report saves extra information to the log including snapshots of the screens. Tesla asked me to do a bug report when I had an intermittent problem occur and then call them with the time of the occurrence so they could look at the log.

Seemed the most appropriate thread that wasn't actually about SDC accidents (sorry for the misogyny, its a joke but not a great one):

yjmogp6bszuwikcy9yz8.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks