Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Engineering Explained Upgrades To Tesla Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Explains how the Model 3 rear motor might work.

Jason Fenske, of the popular Engineering Explained Youtube channel, has traded in his Tesla Model 3. His new car, which he says is a huge improvement, is also a Tesla Model 3. The video above doesn’t just fill us in on why he made the switch. It also gets into the inner workings of the Model 3 rear motor and how that played a part in his decision. We’ll give you a quick synopsis here, though, in case you don’t have the time to watch. (We do recommend it though)

When Fenske first got his Model 3 Mid Range rear-wheel-drive he seemed pretty happy with it. It was the most affordable version available, yet still boasted a reassuring 264 miles of EPA-rated range. Sure, there were some issues with it upon delivery that weren’t really acceptable, but those could be dealt with. Still, it didn’t quite seem to spark joy like he had thought it would. The problem, it seems, had to do with the acceleration.

The mid-size Tesla sedan uses a unique type of permanent magnet motor. According to Fenske, it is a permanent magnet switched reluctance motor (PMSRM), which has a higher efficiency while costing less. With no AC induction motor on the front axle — used in the all-wheel-drive versions of the car — the Mid Range rear-wheel-drive version lacked that instant torque that is generally the hallmark of electric vehicles.

Fenske tells us this is because a PMSRM has to deal with a unique phenomenon called torque ripple. In order to this from making acceleration feel uneven, power is meted out in a slightly limited fashion. While still capable of a 5.6-second sprint from 0-to-60 miles per hour, the performance edge felt blunted.

The obvious fix to this situation was the one the affable host took. He traded in his car for a Performance variant. As you can see in the video, he is extremely happy with the new car. Besides having much better panel alignment and only a couple very minor paint issues, it gives him that deeply satisfying instant acceleration response he felt was missing. With 310 EPA-rated miles, it also gives his range a significant boost. Then there are the extra features like “track mode.”

Besides the info in the video, Fenske also answered a couple questions in the text of the video description dealing with the price of everything and how he knows he didn’t get special treatment. We’ve added that just below. Enjoy!

Video description:

I Sold My Tesla Model 3 Mid-Range & Bought A Model 3 Performance!

After driving the Tesla Model 3 mid-range, I regretted not opting to upgrade to the Performance AWD Model 3. The Model 3 mid-range features a unique permanent magnet rear motor, which gives it different driving characteristics versus many other electric cars, including the Model S and Model X, which both use induction motors. This video will cover what the differences in the motors are (front and rear), how this affects the driving characteristics of the car, the mechanical differences between the mid-range and Performance, as well as the overall condition that my Tesla Model 3 Performance arrived in.

How Do I Know I Didn’t Get Special Treatment From Tesla With Paint Repair/Car Exchange?

First off, this seems strange to me, but many have asked if I somehow received special treatment with regards to getting paint fixed, ordering the Tesla, delivery, etc. That’s not how Tesla works, nor myself, but here’s how I know that no special treatment was provided:

1. Both previous videos were filmed before either video was released. I took delivery of the Model 3 Performance BEFORE the video about paint scratches went live. Hence, Tesla had not seen that I had publicly posted paint issues until I already had my new vehicle. The paint video was filmed before I had decided I was going to trade-in the Mid-Range.

2. I specifically selected the vehicle which I bought. I called Tesla to find out what was in inventory, and I selected a red M3P from that inventory, with VIN. Tesla did not choose the new car for me.

3. When I received the Mid-Range with paint scratches, I called Tesla SLC for the fix. I had heard horror stories from friends about the process required to get the paint repaired (multiple body shop visits, coming back worse than before, loss in value from repaint, etc) so I decided against getting the repair and asked Tesla if they could compensate me at all for the damaged paint instead of dealing with the hassle of repair shops. I felt $2,500 was an unjustified payment for the red paint if it arrives defective/scratched. Tesla said they would get back to me about this. They never did before trading in the car.

4. I only put 49 miles on the car before calling Tesla to inform them I wanted to exchange it for the Performance. This was outside of the 3-day return window (we had a bunch of snow after I took delivery, so I waited until snow had melted before driving for the video review, thus no 3-day window). Tesla said they might be able to switch the car due to the special circumstances (71 miles on the odometer, typical 3-day window needs mileage under 500). Then, they told me they could not.

How Much Did All Of This Cost?

– I bought the Model 3 Mid-Range in November 2018. $46,000 base price.

– $2,500 red paint option, $1,500 19” wheel option, and $1,200 delivery. Total: $51,200 – $7,500 tax credit. Actual Total: $43,700

– The trade-in value of the Mid-Range was $43,200. A $500 loss. The $7,500 tax credit can only be applied to the first buyer, so it instantly loses this much in value. Essentially, buying used means getting the tax credit up front.

– I bought the Model 3 Performance in December 2018. $64,000 base price.

– $2,500 red paint option, and $1,200 for delivery. Total: $67,700 – $7,500 tax credit. Actual Total: $60,200

– Total Cost To Upgrade To Model 3 Performance: $17,000

Source: YouTube

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeBur and others already pulled the individual torque split off the CANBus at 100Hz on a performance run for the 85Ds and 90s.

The performance cars are not traction limited. We see no evidence of traction control on performance runs for the P85 RWD, much less the P AWDs and higher. Factory tires are chosen to perform well above those torque limits.

MikeBur and others already pulled the individual torque split off the CANBus at 100Hz on a performance run for the 85Ds and 90s.

The performance cars are not traction limited. We see no evidence of traction control on performance runs for the P85 RWD, much less the P AWDs and higher. Factory tires are chosen to perform well above those torque limits.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised given the torque/power applied. What do you make of this video of TC on vs off hack?:-

That's pretty much what I would expect to happen in the video.

I'm not saying they necessarily use a "reactive" TC in dry high grip conditions, but surely the torque level must be software limited to avoid lighting up the tyres off the line if they are not using reactive TC to control wheelspin? I spent a fair bit of time tuning F1 launch traction control (when it was legal) and there's no way you could put down all the available torque without TC cutting in (and those tyres were seriously sticky!)

The torque limit is factory set and definitely limited on all cars. This is why the power increase is linear until the battery limits power output - because the torque limit governs the power.

I notice it is pretty cold in that video. I doubt you'd get that result with traction control off in the summer. Winter tires, if they have them, are sticky though.

If you could defeat the torque limit you could definitely spin the tires. But you would likely destroy the drivetrain.

The torque limit is factory set and definitely limited on all cars. This is why the power increase is linear until the battery limits power output - because the torque limit governs the power.

I notice it is pretty cold in that video. I doubt you'd get that result with traction control off in the summer. Winter tires, if they have them, are sticky though.

If you could defeat the torque limit you could definitely spin the tires. But you would likely destroy the drivetrain.

Okay I think we basically agree then. So it is software torque limited to avoid unnecessary use of reactive TC, which makes a lot of sense. If it wasn't software torque limited I have no doubt it would light up the tyres as any ICE supercar without TC would.

In that video I'm not sure if they hacked it to defeat the software torque limit or only disabled the reactive traction control. I agree it looks very cold judging by the frost at the side of the road, but I'm not at all surprised by the result.

If it wasn't software torque limited I have no doubt it would light up the tyres as any ICE supercar without TC would.

Torque is related to current through the motor so another concern is melting & destroying the drive unit.

The P3D is nowhere near traction limited, but it is questionable whether software can “uncork” anything else out of the motors due to limitations of the drive unit. We’ll see. In theory (there may be practical limits) the battery should not matter or limit torque at launch because you hardly have to deliver any power at low speed. Just lots of torque. As @Krash says the power limit occurs much later.

S2000
@SpiceWare
2008 s2000 owner here and LR3 and P85 You make me sad! :). I hope EE doesnt morph into a electric car / Tesla channel. There is much to learn from a lot of other manufacturers and engineers/designers.

Its a special experience everytime I hop into the s2000. Loud, low, small, tight cockpit, connected with the car, not the fastest but funnest reving pass 6k. Even a porsche Carrera S wasnt enough to get me to get rid if the s2000. I sometimes do regret not getting the P3D but 50k for fast already daily is enough for us.

S2000
@SpiceWare
2008 s2000 owner here and LR3 and P85 You make me sad! :).

It was more of a comment on how quickly what's considered normal changes.

Mine was a 2005. At the start of last year I was at the dealer almost every 2 weeks with problems, to the tune of $3K, so ordered the First Production 3 as soon as I could even though I'd wanted the P3D. While I miss the car, one of the factors in getting rid of it was it had become difficult to get in/out of.

Had a 2002 before that, preferred its 2.0 liter engine and higher red line over the later years. 2003 and after have a larger engine and should have been called the S2200 so as to follow the tradition of Honda's earlier S500, S600, and S800 roadsters from the 60s.