TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Enhanced Anti-theft add-on from Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by s1rk, Nov 13, 2018.

1. s1rk

s1rk Member

2. Exiom

Exiom Member

#2 Exiom, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    I would assume it does but then you can always tap back into it afterwards...

Altho I find this disappointing...
    "Not compatible with any Model S built before September 16, 2015"

I am not sure why this is the case... because I have those harness in my P85... for $350 installed... I'd definitely get it...

Can someone please buy it and let us know why? LOL... I wonder if there is something technical or if this is an artificial block.

3. bhawkins4194

bhawkins4194 Member

Wonder what this sensor looks like? I wonder if someone can get their hands on the install guide for it.

4. Axael

Axael Member

I thought my MS already had an alarm with motion sensor?

I mean, if I leave my kids in the car and walk away, the car locks itself and if my kids are moving too much, the alarm sounds. Is it any different from what they released now?

Also, I guess the system disengages when the car is unlocked so it's not of any use in the case of a relay attack.

5. whitex

whitex Active Member

European models have had a "security package". US models don't. Some in the US use the harness for dashcams since it has always-on and on an unused fuse (labeled "alarm siren" IIRC).

• Informative x 3
  6. ramonneke

ramonneke Member

Yeah, this just seems to be the EU movement sensor required by all European insurance companies.

• Like x 2
  7. Exiom

Exiom Member

If this is what has always been on the EU cars... why the "Not compatible with any Model S built before September 16, 2015"?

8. Pentium2004

Pentium2004 Vendor

Looks like a waste of money to me. Our cars are already pretty difficult to steal.

9. whitex

whitex Active Member

Except the new gadget is not compatible with cars pre-Sept-2015, not sure why if this is the same thing.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I think it’s targeting break-in more than auto theft.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

My deductible is only a little more. I think I will take my chances.

• Like x 2
  12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Tesla needs a more comprehensive solution: real time dash cam should be available on the app - ideally from at least 4 cameras. Motion alert / car alarm that triggers an alarm and mobile app alert. Also, allow folks to lock the rear seats from folding (huge number of break ins in the Bay Area). Tesla seems to care about safety, time to make a serious move.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. eager0

eager0 Supporting Member

I admit that I bought this as soon as I saw it on the store. The price was right, and the solution is another improvement on the security posture of the car.

I'm curious if we'll see an update to the mobile app once these devices start getting installed. I'm assuming that it'll be able to send a notification via the app.

14. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Member

Can we have an option for the glass used in this Mercedes? You throw a brick at the car window, the car window throws the brick right back!

• Funny x 5
  15. .jg.

.jg. Member

On European models, there is a "Tilt/Intrusion" option in the menu. I am guessing it is the same intrusion sensor but maybe there were some changes in the wiring on North American models in 2015, perhaps to provide a specific connector.
    One caveat: on European models, when the "Tilt/Intrusion" option is enabled, "Cabin Overheat Protection" is disabled and cannot be enabled.

• Informative x 3
  16. djlott

djlott Member

As mentioned above, rear quarter panel window break-ins are rampant in the SF bay area. This will obviously not prevent a thief from breaking the window but does anyone know (or want to speculate) whether this will sound the alarm if they do?

Dash cams are okay but how often are people caught even when captured on video? This may at least gives us a chance to react quickly, especially if we are notified via the app.

17. NHK X

NHK X Laus Deo

I wish they could couple this system with a more proactive system using current cameras and proximity sensors. If cameras/sensors detect a person with 6” radius a small audible chirp and or flash of external parking lights lets people know the car is tracking you. Could also start recording from cameras at this point, and via the app let you know and stream relevant footage. Then like most other home security systems you could set off the loud alarm if a potential threat is detected. Have the new sensor system in case they break in to thwart more theft of items in the car.

Downside would be battery consumption while parked but wonder if they could only have proximity sensors running at first until an object comes into proximity.

18. DMack

DMack Member

My Arlo system works pretty much list this, and those tiny batteries last me months.
    It would be amazing to have this many layers of security to the point where word got out on the streets that Teslas are not to be f****d with.

19. berkeley_ecar

berkeley_ecar S 90D (fully loaded) delivered 18 Mar 2017

How much for just the window decals? :rolleyes:

• Love x 1
  20. .jg.

.jg. Member

Yes, the alarm will go off if any window is broken, if a door is opened or if anything moves inside the car (e.g. pet, child, wife).

• Informative x 1