Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Anti-theft add-on from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume it does but then you can always tap back into it afterwards...

Altho I find this disappointing...
"Not compatible with any Model S built before September 16, 2015"

I am not sure why this is the case... because I have those harness in my P85... for $350 installed... I'd definitely get it...

Can someone please buy it and let us know why? LOL... I wonder if there is something technical or if this is an artificial block.

Last edited:
I thought my MS already had an alarm with motion sensor?

I mean, if I leave my kids in the car and walk away, the car locks itself and if my kids are moving too much, the alarm sounds. Is it any different from what they released now?

Also, I guess the system disengages when the car is unlocked so it's not of any use in the case of a relay attack.

I thought my MS already had an alarm with motion sensor?

I mean, if I leave my kids in the car and walk away, the car locks itself and if my kids are moving too much, the alarm sounds. Is it any different from what they released now?

Also, I guess the system disengages when the car is unlocked so it's not of any use in the case of a relay attack.
European models have had a "security package". US models don't. Some in the US use the harness for dashcams since it has always-on and on an unused fuse (labeled "alarm siren" IIRC).

Tesla needs a more comprehensive solution: real time dash cam should be available on the app - ideally from at least 4 cameras. Motion alert / car alarm that triggers an alarm and mobile app alert. Also, allow folks to lock the rear seats from folding (huge number of break ins in the Bay Area). Tesla seems to care about safety, time to make a serious move.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and DMack
I admit that I bought this as soon as I saw it on the store. The price was right, and the solution is another improvement on the security posture of the car.

I'm curious if we'll see an update to the mobile app once these devices start getting installed. I'm assuming that it'll be able to send a notification via the app.

Except the new gadget is not compatible with cars pre-Sept-2015, not sure why if this is the same thing.
On European models, there is a "Tilt/Intrusion" option in the menu. I am guessing it is the same intrusion sensor but maybe there were some changes in the wiring on North American models in 2015, perhaps to provide a specific connector.
One caveat: on European models, when the "Tilt/Intrusion" option is enabled, "Cabin Overheat Protection" is disabled and cannot be enabled.

As mentioned above, rear quarter panel window break-ins are rampant in the SF bay area. This will obviously not prevent a thief from breaking the window but does anyone know (or want to speculate) whether this will sound the alarm if they do?

Dash cams are okay but how often are people caught even when captured on video? This may at least gives us a chance to react quickly, especially if we are notified via the app.

I wish they could couple this system with a more proactive system using current cameras and proximity sensors. If cameras/sensors detect a person with 6” radius a small audible chirp and or flash of external parking lights lets people know the car is tracking you. Could also start recording from cameras at this point, and via the app let you know and stream relevant footage. Then like most other home security systems you could set off the loud alarm if a potential threat is detected. Have the new sensor system in case they break in to thwart more theft of items in the car.

Downside would be battery consumption while parked but wonder if they could only have proximity sensors running at first until an object comes into proximity.

I wish they could couple this system with a more proactive system using current cameras and proximity sensors. If cameras/sensors detect a person with 6” radius a small audible chirp and or flash of external parking lights lets people know the car is tracking you. Could also start recording from cameras at this point, and via the app let you know and stream relevant footage. Then like most other home security systems you could set off the loud alarm if a potential threat is detected. Have the new sensor system in case they break in to thwart more theft of items in the car.

Downside would be battery consumption while parked but wonder if they could only have proximity sensors running at first until an object comes into proximity.

My Arlo system works pretty much list this, and those tiny batteries last me months.
It would be amazing to have this many layers of security to the point where word got out on the streets that Teslas are not to be f****d with.

As mentioned above, rear quarter panel window break-ins are rampant in the SF bay area. This will obviously not prevent a thief from breaking the window but does anyone know (or want to speculate) whether this will sound the alarm if they do?
Yes, the alarm will go off if any window is broken, if a door is opened or if anything moves inside the car (e.g. pet, child, wife).

• Informative
Reactions: djlott