Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Anti-Theft System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...So the best [solution] is to have "Alarm-Tilt/ Intrusion" options ON and "Sentry Mode" OFF (set via Security settings in the car) and control "Sentry Mode" via Tesla app.

OK, good suggestion--i.e., control Sentry Mode status from the App. But this raises my previous question:
  • If the car's Safety & Security screen says that Sentry Mode is OFF, but the Tesla App's Controls screen says that Sentry Mode is ON, which is correct?

Because in that scenario the car's top-of-the-screen SM icon would be ON, I guess we should believe the App?
To be sure, I suppose I have to try testing again--set SM OFF on the car screen and ON on the App screen, open a window, remove the key-fob from the vicinity until the car self-locks, then stick my arm in the open window. (I dislike doing it. Have to remember to bring ear protection.)

If the App screen is right, and Sentry Mode is ON, you should have video evidence of an event, correct? If not, that is another confusing issue.

If true, it sounds to me like the Tesla App software engineers and the Tesla car softwarte engineers need to have a working lunch together and get this straightened out.

Last edited:
OK, good suggestion--i.e., control Sentry Mode status from the App. But this raises my previous question:
  • If the car's Safety & Security screen says that Sentry Mode is OFF, but the Tesla App's Controls screen says that Sentry Mode is ON, which is correct?

Because in that scenario the car's top-of-the-screen SM icon would be ON, I guess we should believe the App?
To be sure, I suppose I have to try testing again--set SM OFF on the car screen and ON on the App screen, open a window, remove the key-fob from the vicinity until the car self-locks, then stick my arm in the open window. (I dislike doing it. Have to remember to bring ear protection.)

If the App screen is right, and Sentry Mode is ON, you should have video evidence of an event, correct? If not, that is another confusing issue.

If true, it sounds to me like the Tesla App software engineers and the Tesla car softwarte engineers need to have a working lunch together and get this straightened out.
This is a good approach.
I will check when "Sentry Mode" is set to ON via the Tesla app and as you say, no alarm should be raised, but I should have a video of the event. After I will set "Sentry Mode to OFF via the Tesla app and the alarm should be triggered ("Alarm-Tilt/ Intrusion" should always be set to ON looking at the Security settings in the car).

...If the car's Safety & Security screen says that Sentry Mode is OFF, but the Tesla App's Controls screen says that Sentry Mode is ON, which is correct?
...To be sure, I suppose I have to try testing again--set SM OFF on the car screen and ON on the App screen, open a window, remove the key-fob from the vicinity until the car self-locks, then stick my arm in the open window. (I dislike doing it. Have to remember to bring ear protection.)

OK, I tested it (as described in Post #22. (I wore ear protectors, which made the test a lot less disconcerting. I was also able to hear the Bach playing in the background in addition to the blaring alarm.)

In summary:

- If the Safety & Security screen on the car's central touch-screen says that Sentry Mode is OFF,
- but the Tesla App's Controls screen says that Sentry Mode is ON,
- Sentry Mode is ON, (with the Security Alarm and Tilt / Intrusion detection). The alarm sounds if you put your arm into the car through an open window.

So perhaps the best rule is to always trust the Sentry Mode icon at the top of the car's touch screen.

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
By the way , we will have an other feature allowing to only use "Sentry Mode" ON and getting Alarm + video on your iPhone :
- Ring Car Connect

"Ring Car Connect sends car owners alerts about activity near their vehicle. It can also share footage from outside the vehicle, and let car owners know if their doors are locked.
Normally, Tesla owners can only see footage from their car's eight cameras on the dashboard touchscreen. With Ring Car Connect, they'll be able to see it in the Ring app. Some Tesla owners store Sentry Mode videos on a device plugged into their car so they can view it later on a computer. The Ring integration would let drivers skip that step"

A (perhaps) amusing and educational update:
  • As previously discussed here and elsewhere, I have been using my Enhanced Anti-Theft System, along with Sentry Mode, daily on my Model X.
  • I also use a Tesla outdoor car cover when the car is parked in the street at home.

• Today I returned from daily errands and parked and covered the car in front of my house, as per normal.
  • No sooner was I inside and getting settled when the car alarm went off.
  • After hurriedly grabbing the key fob and shutting the alarm off I investigated outside the covered car and saw obvious cause--no nearby animal or person; no contact with another vehicle (fortunately).
  • So I returned inside.
  • Within minutes the alarm went off, again! WTF? Mischievous child? Neighborhood cat?
  • This time I, fortuitously, uncovered the driver's-side door and entered the car to inspect the security settings, and in doing so discovered the perpetrator...
  • A rather small but noticeable fly trapped inside the cabin. That is how sensitive the interior motion-detection apparatus is. With the insect's escape through the open door the problem ceased.

• Lesson learned.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay