Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced AP, Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so there may be such a thing as "standard autopilot" but I don't think it does any speed or lane keeping. See this post on imgur:
Imgur

To be clear, I saw this on reddit, and am not the original poster. It looks to me like it is most likely a screenshot from a mobile browser on the Tesla site, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, according to the screenshot:

Standard autopilot is included on all new Tesla vehicles and includes:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Collision Warning
  • Side Collision Warning
Regardless, I should imagine that anyone referring to autopilot is actually referring to EAP or FSD, and IMO, calling that "standard autopilot" was a bit goofy even if "standard autopilot" is the name for the hardware package (cameras and sensors).

Reactions: Fellsteruk
AP and EAP are hold-overs from the comparison between the original Autopilot with the Mobileye HW and SW. When Tesla added the additional cameras to eventually support FSD, they started referring to the autopilot as EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) because it was supposed to have even more advanced features (haven't shown up yet).

Your choices today are no EAP or EAP. You need EAP to get FSD in the future. Remember that these are feature "licenses" right now. The non-EAP cars all have the same "safety" features which include the items listed by mxnym above. Note that these are not AP features, but basic safety features are far as Tesla is concerned.

Today there is no such thing as AP on any car sold by Tesla unless it is an older CPO car.

Well I like AP so far, but not anywhere near my expectations yet. I'm waiting to see.

Fortunately I have a good alternative. The wife! She doesn't control the car on the road, yet has some really good voice announcements like.....

"Honey, you are on the line"
"Jesus, are we going to make it there alive? Slow down"
"Look out for that old lady"
"I think you just hit a dead squirrel"

I don't think Tesla is ever going to be able to match that !

OK, so there may be such a thing as "standard autopilot" but I don't think it does any speed or lane keeping. See this post on imgur:
Imgur

To be clear, I saw this on reddit, and am not the original poster. It looks to me like it is most likely a screenshot from a mobile browser on the Tesla site, but I can't confirm that. Regardless, according to the screenshot:

Standard autopilot is included on all new Tesla vehicles and includes:
  • Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Front Collision Warning
  • Side Collision Warning
Regardless, I should imagine that anyone referring to autopilot is actually referring to EAP or FSD, and IMO, calling that "standard autopilot" was a bit goofy even if "standard autopilot" is the name for the hardware package (cameras and sensors).

Those are the standard Autopilot Safety features included on every car. Just safety features, which require the AP hardware to function. You don't get any form of adaptive cruise or lane keeping in a new Tesla if you don't buy eAP.

For the original question, though: Autopilot is one of the defining features of a modern Tesla, and a great help both in stop and go traffic and on wide open roads. I wouldn't buy one without it.

Reactions: xyeahtony