Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Auto Pilot…better than it was?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the EAP trial earlier in the year and, whilst on paper it sounded great, the reality for me was less so...especially the aborting lane changes. Given how basic autopilot seems to have improved over time has there been any noticeable performance improvements to EAP other than the vision auto park? Particularly keen to hear from those that have upgraded since owning the car. Ta.

Reactions: adsheff
I would say it's not changed at all since late 2019, but also it works fine. It takes a little while to learn when to use the lane change and the space it requires, but once you have it figured out then it's simple and easy. I almost exclusively use AP on motorways with Auto-Lane change, and haven't had a rejected lane change for a very long time. Having said that I also don't get 'phantom breaking' on motorways at all, but others do. You will struggle to use the lane change on a very busy motorway, where they really isn't the size of gaps required.

In term of the other features, they haven't really changed at all either. The vision based autopark is perhaps coming next year, it's not changed yet.

• Informative
Reactions: adsheff
Vision based autopark is here (since 44.6), but I've heard that it's actually worse than the previous version... I've yet to find anywhere I'd risk trying it yet.

I find auto lane change is fine on quiet roads, it just can't handle anything remotely busy.. just aborts.

I picked up my LR a week ago. I haven't used Summon yet. Autopark is good at detecting perpendicular spaces in between cars. Works fine most times, although today it kept pausing because someone else was waiting to go forward, so I had to abort and complete the manoeuvre. I haven't gotten it to detect parallel parking spaces yet.

I've used Navigate on Autopilot once and it was mostly alright. It took a short while to get used to using auto lane change with it, but once I got the hang of it, it was quite good. My one issue with auto lane change is that it's not clear what roads you can use it on. It hasn't worked for any dual carriageways I've been on so far, so it seems it only works on motorways.

I purchased the EAP a week ago and trip it on a 200+ trip and it worked as others had shown on youtube. Since there was an option for a refund, so if I wasn't happy with it, I thought I would try it for at least the day and I see when I got to my destination.
I have since changed a couple of setting and try them out at the weekend for my next motorway run.

I've used Navigate on Autopilot once and it was mostly alright. It took a short while to get used to using auto lane change with it, but once I got the hang of it, it was quite good. My one issue with auto lane change is that it's not clear what roads you can use it on. It hasn't worked for any dual carriageways I've been on so far, so it seems it only works on motorways.
I gave NoA a good try for several months but found it to be a total pain and turned it off.
It never suggests lane changes at the appropriate time. Either way too early or way too late and with no consideration of how busy the traffic is around me. Half the time it's begging to move left when I can see much slower traffic in that lane just a few seconds ahead of me. Once it took an offramp correctly but most of the time it fails. I would hate to have the US version which tries to change lanes without my confirmation.

However you can leave NoA off and still use the indicators to trigger the auto lane change when you want.
Most of the time it works pretty well. It takes care of the manovering while you can put more focus on the wider view of what's going on. Occasionally it says that it can't do it and I have to turn AP off and do it manually - which is a bit of a pain but you get used to it and it's no worse than NoA.

Occasionally it does give up half way through for no known reason but as long as you have a firm hold on the wheel you can prevent it diving back into the lane you just left. (having already done enough observation that you know it's safe to continue). I haven't seen this enough to learn what triggers it. If it's a car zooming up behind then IMO if it was safe to start the move then it's usually better to complete it than behave unpredictably - but I can see that it's a tough choice. Moving back into the lane you moved out of feels much more dangerous unless you absolutely know that nothing else is considering moving into that space.
The worst bit is the quick pull on the wheel and change of speed when you take control really upsets your passengers.

It's got slightly better. Still panics about lorries in the middle lane and aborts lane changes.

Not tried vision-based autopark but the parallel parking works very well, even against a wall. Summon is handy because I can use spaces that would normally be too small. Smart summon has never worked for me (well, actually I tried it once and the car disappeared out of sight in the wrong direction).

I gave NoA a good try for several months but found it to be a total pain and turned it off.
It never suggests lane changes at the appropriate time. Either way too early or way too late and with no consideration of how busy the traffic is around me. Half the time it's begging to move left when I can see much slower traffic in that lane just a few seconds ahead of me. Once it took an offramp correctly but most of the time it fails. I would hate to have the US version which tries to change lanes without my confirmation.

However you can leave NoA off and still use the indicators to trigger the auto lane change when you want.
Most of the time it works pretty well. It takes care of the manovering while you can put more focus on the wider view of what's going on. Occasionally it says that it can't do it and I have to turn AP off and do it manually - which is a bit of a pain but you get used to it and it's no worse than NoA.

Occasionally it does give up half way through for no known reason but as long as you have a firm hold on the wheel you can prevent it diving back into the lane you just left. (having already done enough observation that you know it's safe to continue). I haven't seen this enough to learn what triggers it. If it's a car zooming up behind then IMO if it was safe to start the move then it's usually better to complete it than behave unpredictably - but I can see that it's a tough choice. Moving back into the lane you moved out of feels much more dangerous unless you absolutely know that nothing else is considering moving into that space.
The worst bit is the quick pull on the wheel and change of speed when you take control really upsets your passengers.
When I use NoA I mostly treat the lane changes as suggestions and would discard a suggestion if there‘s a car zooming behind in the suggested lane. This meant I only accepted about half of the suggestions, which for me is still okay. What I wish for most is that auto lane change be available on more A roads.
Not tried vision-based autopark but the parallel parking works very well, even against a wall.
I tried it once, it worked well. Car wasn’t completely straight in the bay, but that’s just me being fussy. I haven’t gotten it to successfully execute a parallel park yet, maybe it’s just the spaces I’m finding.

I tried it once, it worked well. Car wasn’t completely straight in the bay, but that’s just me being fussy. I haven’t gotten it to successfully execute a parallel park yet, maybe it’s just the spaces I’m finding.
parallel park works well for me. If its a longer space its possibly quicker than I can do it. Shorter spaces it shunts forward and back a lot more than necessary and makes me very nervous it's going to scrape the car but hasn't done yet. Complex, curved spaces etc it makes a mess of but guess it will improve.
Normal right angle parking spaces I find I have to watch out for overhanging bushes which it will reverse into

Reactions: IbroSaunks
I finally got to try the new autopark yesterday. It was awful. It kept aggressively braking for no reason then halfway out of the bay just aborted, so I parked normally in the end. The old one was slow but this was slow and really uncomfortable as I was being thrown around by the braking.

I finally got to try the new autopark yesterday. It was awful. It kept aggressively braking for no reason then halfway out of the bay just aborted, so I parked normally in the end. The old one was slow but this was slow and really uncomfortable as I was being thrown around by the braking.
Same! First attempt at using it too. Anyone watching must have thought I was a right toilet!

parallel park works well for me. If its a longer space its possibly quicker than I can do it. Shorter spaces it shunts forward and back a lot more than necessary and makes me very nervous it's going to scrape the car but hasn't done yet. Complex, curved spaces etc it makes a mess of but guess it will improve.
Normal right angle parking spaces I find I have to watch out for overhanging bushes which it will reverse into
I only just got my first parallel park yesterday! I usually have it closer to the kerb, but it was technically on the line so that’s okay.
In my experience Autopark works quite well when there’s little to no activity around the parking spot. But once there’s a car or two waiting to pass, it becomes sluggish. As soon as it starts doing that I also just abort and complete the manoeuvre. Usually it’s already lined up right so it’s just a matter of reversing in.