Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Auto Pilot - order or not-Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placing an order this week. I drive 150 miles a week and 90% local surface streets. If I do not pay for the enhanced Auto pilot or the Self Driving options - what am I missing out on? Your opinions will be appreciated.

I only have the original autopilot, and love some of the features. I can't even imagine what Tesla has planned for AP2 (Enhanced Auto Pilot.)

My guess is you will be thrilled with the autopilot functionality.

Good luck!

Reactions: MisterT2
Here is a list that is being compiled over at the Tesla forums. Some things would be useful on surface streets, but perhaps others more knowledgeable can comment on that. I don't know that much about it. Since I don't have my X yet, I've put off researching it:

Current confirmed working list on AP 2.0

1. Turn headlights on and off auto (they do NOT auto dim though)
2. Side collision warnings are present
3. Speed Assist (Cruise control)
4. Parking assist
5. Traffic-aware cruise control (Beta
6. Forward collision warning
7. Low-Speed Autosteer (Beta)

Current confirmed non-working list on AP 2.0

1. Auto windshield wipers
2. Auto high beam dimming of the headlights
3. Blind spot detection
4. Auto emergency braking
5. Side collision avoidance
6. Lane departure warning
7. Auto lane change
8. Autopark
9. Summon

Disclaimer: I didn't order EAP or FSD. I do have AP 2.0 hardware and presumably could add the functionality if I want in the future.
I have run into two things that say "Hold On!"
The first was in the local paper: "Irvine man sues after Tesla slams into home"
Irvine man sues after Tesla slams into home

The second was at a Supercharger station. I met a Model S owner who liked his car for about 2 years. He liked the summon function to get it out if his garage and put it on the driveway. He did that maybe 150 times. Then on the 151st, when the car was 3/4 of the way out, the steering wheel turned all the way and the front of the car crashed into the garage door frame. Damaged the door frame, the front fender, the headlight assembly and the front bumper. Tesla quoted $9,000+ to repair and said it was not their fault. Well whose fault was it if nobody was in the car?

It looks like these are bugs and not just the only ones if one compiled a list of similar cases. Admittedly, they may not have been AP 2.0 equipped but the thing is Tesla is not taking responsibility if something goes haywire.

Reactions: davidc18
I have run into two things that say "Hold On!"
The first was in the local paper: "Irvine man sues after Tesla slams into home"
Irvine man sues after Tesla slams into home

I can't speak to the second, but the first is not something I would worry about. People in all makes and models of cars occasionally confuse the brake pedal and the accelerator. It's just often more dramatic when it happens in a Tesla, because of the instant torque, and the power.

How are you sure that driver mixed pedals?

From the article:

“The evidence, including data from the car, conclusively shows that the crash was the result of Mr. Son pressing the accelerator pedal all the way to 100 percent,” Tesla said in the statement."

While I trust Tesla less and less lately, I don't think they would lie outright about what the car's logs show in a situation like this, where they may have to back it up with proof in court.

Reactions: Ormond
Well, let's speak to the second case for a moment. According to my anonymous Supercharger, Tesla SC sent his data logged by the car to Tesla engineering and came back and said the car did nothing wrong. So how did it happen? I guess the garage door must have moved!
Again, the question is accountability. If there are bugs they can't locate and fix, then their liability is potentially unlimited. I remember a similar subject involving Toyota. I'm sure Tesla is getting the same legal and accounting advice Toyota got.

I think I'd hold off on the FSD and just get autopilot. You will be able to use autopilot right away but the full autonomous stuff has not ETA and I can absolutely see that there is going to be litigation involved and there will probably be individual state restrictions, etc before it ever becomes legit and completely usable, this could add years until it's actually a usable feature, _if ever_.

I'd gamble with having to pay more down the line than risk paying the money up front for what is essentially vaporware for now.

I think I'd hold off on the FSD and just get autopilot. You will be able to use autopilot right away but the full autonomous stuff has not ETA and I can absolutely see that there is going to be litigation involved and there will probably be individual state restrictions, etc before it ever becomes legit and completely usable, this could add years until it's actually a usable feature, _if ever_.

I'd gamble with having to pay more down the line than risk paying the money up front for what is essentially vaporware for now.
I agree I would only get EAP

I would not get either one. I like to manual drive the car.
Do you still get enhanced speed control (radar tracking car in front) and/or auto high beam if neither auto pilot is selected?
What I have been told by Tesla is that if you don't activate Enhance Autopilot, you get NO cruise control of ANY kind. Be prepared to keep your foot on the accelerator if you want to maintain speed. I'd have to reach back about 40 years to the last car I owned that didn't have cruise control. Ultimately, I ended up with a CPO with HW1, so I didn't have to make the decision.

I recently took delivery of a Model X with EAP (enhanced Autopilot) but not FSD (full-self driving). I love the EAP. I find it truly useful as it is now (and, like the OP, I mostly drive on "local roads") and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve into something even better. If I were to place a new order today, I would consider EAP a must-have.