Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Auto Pilot - order or not-Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I have been told by Tesla is that if you don't activate Enhance Autopilot, you get NO cruise control of ANY kind. Be prepared to keep your foot on the accelerator if you want to maintain speed. I'd have to reach back about 40 years to the last car I owned that didn't have cruise control. Ultimately, I ended up with a CPO with HW1, so I didn't have to make the decision.

That can't be true is it. No regular cruise control?

That can't be true is it. No regular cruise control?

It's not true. You do get regular cruise control. I have Hardware 2.0 but no EAP. I have Regular Cruise Control, Forward Collision Warning, Side Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning. I think I have Emergency Braking to reduce impact in a forward collision but I hope I never have to find out! I am hoping for Rain Sensing Wipers. I will not get high-beam sensing.

It is difficult to know what you are buying. I suggest studying the owners manual although that too will not be perfectly clear. I was at the Service Center and asked about Adaptive Cruise Control. It took 2 Techs about 10 minutes checking different sources to determine that it doesn't come without EAP.

It's not true. You do get regular cruise control. I have Hardware 2.0 but no EAP. I have Regular Cruise Control, Forward Collision Warning, Side Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning. I think I have Emergency Braking to reduce impact in a forward collision but I hope I never have to find out! I am hoping for Rain Sensing Wipers. I will not get high-beam sensing.

It is difficult to know what you are buying. I suggest studying the owners manual although that too will not be perfectly clear. I was at the Service Center and asked about Adaptive Cruise Control. It took 2 Techs about 10 minutes checking different sources to determine that it doesn't come without EAP.
Then sorry for the incorrect statement. But it wouldn't be the first time I've been told something by an owner's rep that turned out to not be so.

Confusingly I have "all the convenience features of the original autopilot" but with AP2 hardware. I can upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Drive should I wish before I collect on Friday, but since this was a car ordered with autopilot and then AP2 came out shortly after, I assume it does everything my old Model S did - self park, summon, steer within a lane and change lanes when I indicate.
Can anyone confirm?

Confusingly I have "all the convenience features of the original autopilot" but with AP2 hardware. I can upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self-Drive should I wish before I collect on Friday, but since this was a car ordered with autopilot and then AP2 came out shortly after, I assume it does everything my old Model S did - self park, summon, steer within a lane and change lanes when I indicate.
Can anyone confirm?
It will not perpendicular self park. Parallel only.

There are currently speed limits (35mph) for steering within a lane if not on a restricted access highway.

Can anyone confirm?

You might consider getting EAP before you pick up if you can still do it without the $1k premium. My reasoning is that we're basically at parity with AP1 finally, and I believe it's realistic to expect that by July we'll be seeing some of the EAP-specific updates. What those are, and whether they're worth the extra money at the end of the day is of course up to debate, but you may find yourself paying an extra grand for features a mere 2 months down the road. FSD is a different story of course, we sprung for it but I don't expect to see anything requiring it until 2018.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
My AP1 MS could perpendicular self-park (I'm pretty sure it could anyway). Surely, if this isn't on AP2 yet, it will be?

You might consider getting EAP before you pick up if you can still do it without the $1k premium. My reasoning is that we're basically at parity with AP1 finally, and I believe it's realistic to expect that by July we'll be seeing some of the EAP-specific updates. What those are, and whether they're worth the extra money at the end of the day is of course up to debate, but you may find yourself paying an extra grand for features a mere 2 months down the road. FSD is a different story of course, we sprung for it but I don't expect to see anything requiring it until 2018.

I think the UK (assuming the government doesn't change following the forthcoming election) intend to be trailblazers of self-driving cars. They certainly say that they intend to be. So, I would assume that the laws will be amended as soon as possible here. As soon as Tesla have the software ready and the confidence to roll it out then I think we'll be up and running. I can easily see that happening in the next 12 months.

BUT, I don't think that's something we'll go with on this car anyway. It's going to be my wife's car and she's less bothered about AP/FSD. I think it's quite likely that in 12 months we'll have another Tesla to replace my i3. And on that car I will likely be spec'ing FSD and a bigger battery size etc (who knows we might even be on 125d's by then!

This was my thought exactly in ordering EAP. With AEB, it's now almost at parity with AP1 and we are probably 2-4 months from Smart Summon and other improvements coming online.

I've got a June delivery and figured spreading that cost over the 1.49% loan made more sense than ponying up $6K later.

FSD? No way I'm giving them money now. I really WANT to believe...But I'm honestly not sure they've got enough sensors there. I can't see how only the side and rear cameras, combined with ultrasonics, can handle that level of navigation without radar or lidar. That said, if it works, I'll be first on the screen clicking TAKE MY MONEY.

Reactions: Sawyer8888
...not sure they've got enough sensors there...

I think you are thinking about a perfect system that causes no accidents at all.

That is not what Tesla is selling!

Full Self-Driving Capability, according to Tesla order page, will have "a probability of safety at least twice as good as the average human driver."

If you don't raise the standard, I think current Tesla sensors are good enough to achieve TWICE as good as human.

This was my thought exactly in ordering EAP. With AEB, it's now almost at parity with AP1 and we are probably 2-4 months from Smart Summon and other improvements coming online.

I've got a June delivery and figured spreading that cost over the 1.49% loan made more sense than ponying up $6K later.

FSD? No way I'm giving them money now. I really WANT to believe...But I'm honestly not sure they've got enough sensors there. I can't see how only the side and rear cameras, combined with ultrasonics, can handle that level of navigation without radar or lidar. That said, if it works, I'll be first on the screen clicking TAKE MY MONEY.

I fully agree. I don't doubt that Tesla can provide a successfully self-driving vehicle that can function in say 80% of the street conditions, but what matters is what the regulators will consider adequate for approval.
I am not educated to debate the merits of the existing Tesla sensors vs LIDAR used by other manufacturers, but only time will tell, and it could be years before the current AP hardware is determined to be viable or not.

I'd rather save myself from wasting $3K now, but gladly pay $4K once it's approval is confirmed.