Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many are commenting elsewhere, the one useful feature in EAP is auto lane changing (which I think should be part of basic Autopilot like we had in AP1). The rest of the features are mostly party tricks. For $6k, no thanks. Fail.

Tesla really needs to offer these features individually, or make EAP as a subscription, or combination thereof.

Yep, it’s listed for purchase only under upgrades in app already. I like a few of the EAP features like Summon and Lane Change on AP, but not worth $6000.

I believe you pay registration tax on things like EAP/FSD if the car has it at the time of sale since new car registration takes total purchase price into account. Something to consider.

As many are commenting elsewhere, the one useful feature in EAP is auto lane changing (which I think should be part of basic Autopilot like we had in AP1). The rest of the features are mostly party tricks. For $6k, no thanks. Fail.

Tesla really needs to offer these features individually, or make EAP as a subscription, or combination thereof.
Another reason why I still prefer AP1 over AP2.

Does anyone know if you buy the EAP for $6000 can you buy the FSD later for another $6000? or do you then have to pay $12,000 for FSD?

I don't think FSD is ready yet but I might be willing to spend $6000 on EAP.
As of now, you pay the difference.

A326ABB7-FFB5-431A-837F-4D7E7F21059C.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: doc5339
Does anyone know if you buy the EAP for $6000 can you buy the FSD later for another $6000? or do you then have to pay $12,000 for FSD?

I don't think FSD is ready yet but I might be willing to spend $6000 on EAP.
Currently EAP is half the value of FSD. I believe you will end up paying half of whatever the cost of FSD is at the time .
Today you would pay 6K. If FSD goes to 14K it would cost you 7K to upgrade to FSD but they can always do something different.

Personally I still don't see the value in either of them. All EAP gives you is changing lanes on AP and if you need to have your hands on the wheel it adds no real value at this time (the summon and parking are party tricks). You will likely be on your next tesla (and paying again) before it is actually hands free.

If Tesla wants to sell me EAP or FSD (especially during its beta) they would need to allow me to transfer FSD to any future vehicle. Most of us don't need it and eventually all cars manufacturers will have some form of it.

Currently EAP is half the value of FSD. I believe you will end up paying half of whatever the cost of FSD is at the time .
Today you would pay 6K. If FSD goes to 14K it would cost you 7K to upgrade to FSD but they can always do something different.

Personally I still don't see the value in either of them. All EAP gives you is changing lanes on AP and if you need to have your hands on the wheel it adds no real value at this time (the summon and parking are party tricks). You will likely be on your next tesla (and paying again) before it is actually hands free.

If Tesla wants to sell me EAP or FSD (especially during its beta) they would need to allow me to transfer FSD to any future vehicle. Most of us don't need it and eventually all cars manufacturers will have some form of it.
For most, EAP is the difference in using Autopilot regularly or not at all. All of my friends who didn't get EAP/FSD almost never use their highway Autopilot on their AP 2 cars. The biggest problem is that you have to take it out of AP every time you want to pass someone. It becomes more headache than it's worth pretty quickly. With EAP you can use the turn signal to changes lanes and not exit AP just like the AP1 cars with the convenience features activated. I've had cars previously that didn't have EAP/FSD and it sucks. IMO EAP is the best option currently available and I, for one, am glad they brought it back. I always thought it was lame that they didn't include it with the base highway autopilot on the newer cars but they had to have something to convince people to buy EAP. Personally, I think they should have included it with AP2 as a gateway drug and to collect more data for building out FSD.

Reactions: BBB4000