Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot - broken and overpriced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be rich if I had £1 every time someone says ‘let’s see what it’s like in a couple of years’. With Tesla it’s always ‘in the future’. It’s nonsense. Most people on here will have changed cars by the time anything significant actually happens. Got to hand it to Tesla though for feeding this to customers with great success.

I think UNECE regulations is a bit of a red herring for many of the instances where people have issues with auto lane change functionality. Most issues seem to be either driver error or driver not understanding the operational domain. This is not blaming the driver as it often really is not clear or, as pointed out earlier wrong/confusing and tbh, Tesla's implementation is not the most forgiving in some circumstances. But understanding and a little practice really are key to the success of auto lane change as once those are understood, auto lane change is really very good in most situations. It has recently (2021.15.x/.18) been getting noticeably smoother and more resilient to driver error and will likely soon have a big step (if visual driver monitoring works well) to take much of the emphasis off of steering wheel torque monitoring.

As to its worth, if your driving scenarios do not match the operational domain of EAP/FSD, then its not going to be worth it no matter what the price. But if you can regularly make use of its functions and know how and when to use it, I don't personally think EAP is unreasonably priced even though I personally have never used summon or auto park - I bought FSD for motorway driving; quite ironic that FSD is now City Streets and EAP seems to be highways.

As to FSD, thats another story, although many people confuse EAP and FSD feature set which does not help matters. When Model 3 first launched in UK, EAP on its own had just been discontinued and combined EAP/FSD (Full self drive package) was the only available option but heavily discounted to ease the pain of replacing EAP with full EAP/FSD. So for early Model 3 FSD adopters, the cost of FSD really was not very much - putting things in perspective, less than a set of winter wheels. Since then, FSD has had at least two significant price rises in the UK and imho, the only value is in the future promise and a hedge to future price rise which may or may not materialise in the period of car ownership.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrklaw and Louis0w
I’ve had my Model 3 for a little while now and I’ve come to the conclusion that Enhanced Autopilot is hugely overpriced and mostly broken. It’s currently £3,400 for the following:

1.Navigate on Autopilot
This seems to be basically never available, I’ve not seen the option in any of my drives despite it being enabled

2. Auto Lane Change
This simply does work on my Tesla. I have all of the autopilot opinions enabled in the settings (none of the options mention this) and so far it’s never worked. I turn on the indicator when on autosteer and the line remains solid and nothing happens. I even setup a service request for this one but they just cancelled it with a message saying autopilot is always active so they didn’t actually read my request

3. Autopark
I’ve been offered this once in the 20+ times I’ve been in a car park so far

4. Summon
As far as I can tell this is basically crippled in the UK. You can move the car forward and backward when you’re standing right next to it but that’s it. The manual still talks about it being able to finish going into a space after you get out but the option just doesn’t exist in my menus (no option to disable continuous press)

So that’s £3,400 to be able to move the car backwards and forwards from my phone, sometimes. Am I crazy, is my Model 3 broken or is this just a monumental rip off?

I'm not up on the EAP option as offered in the UK, but does EAP there include NoA and Auto Lane Change? If you have NoA, you should see a big blue button always visible on the map screen (top left) that says "Navigate on Autopilot". If not, then you dont have NoA in your car (and probably not Auto Lane Change either).

it does sometimes feel like it struggles on high speed bends. M23/A23 down to Brighton and it cancelled out a few times like it couldn’t/wouldn’t steer enough even though its trivial at motorway speeds - they are relatively sharp bends for a motorway but perfectly safe.

I do still think as a general ‘tech’ package EAP is ‘fine’. FSD currently deserves all the criticism it gets though as its simply not ready

I would be rich if I had £1 every time someone says ‘let’s see what it’s like in a couple of years’. With Tesla it’s always ‘in the future’. It’s nonsense. Most people on here will have changed cars by the time anything significant actually happens. Got to hand it to Tesla though for feeding this to customers with great success.

Apparently Tesla operates to “Elon Time”, which differs from anyone else’s definition of time. Personally I think it’s a phrase used by Tesla/Elon fanboys to excuse the often disastrously wrong predictions made about product releases, especially autonomous driving. True FSD won’t be a reality anytime soon. The penny is beginning to drop with most people, who have seen through Musk’s empty promises, though there are still plenty of people who are convinced it’s just around the corner.

Reactions: UrbanSplash
I think UNECE regulations is a bit of a red herring for many of the instances where people have issues with auto lane change functionality. Most issues seem to be either driver error or driver not understanding the operational domain. This is not blaming the driver as it often really is not clear or, as pointed out earlier wrong/confusing and tbh, Tesla's implementation is not the most forgiving in some circumstances. But understanding and a little practice really are key to the success of auto lane change as once those are understood, auto lane change is really very good in most situations.
Completely agree with this. Whilst the Regulations do constrain the functionality we enjoy when compared to North America, looking back I often found my initial frustrations with the AP/FSD suite were more often due to my own misuse, or misunderstanding. I remember collecting from West Drayton back in Sept 2019 on a late, rainy, Monday afternoon, driving the 150 miles home. The cameras calibrated on that first journey, so I turned on NoA and was both amazed and stressed out in equal measure :eek:! It really did take some time to familiarise with how and when to use it. I regularly make 200+ mile M4/M3/M25/M23 journeys from South Wales to visit family in Brighton & Hove, and also driven from South Wales to Scotland; every opportunity I'll use the NoA on motorways and, as you say, it works really well in most situations. Despite the clear focus given to the US/City Streets FSD branch, I also feel our own version has received subtle improvements this year - and hopefully this will continue.

I read with interest the thread about user experiences of EAP upon taking advantage of the 30 day free trial; on the whole it was negative - but I wonder how often EAP was used during the trial period and whether owners had an initial bad/stressful experience and then decided not to turn it on again. Appreciate first impressions do last; but if own use case or driving scenarios may benefit from EAP/FSD, then my advise would be persevere and practice.

Reactions: MrBadger
Apparently Tesla operates to “Elon Time”, which differs from anyone else’s definition of time. Personally I think it’s a phrase used by Tesla/Elon fanboys to excuse the often disastrously wrong predictions made about product releases, especially autonomous driving. True FSD won’t be a reality anytime soon. The penny is beginning to drop with most people, who have seen through Musk’s empty promises, though there are still plenty of people who are convinced it’s just around the corner.
But this is where the naysayers get it wrong, it's not about FULL self-driving. Sure that might matter to Elon for his robotaxi fleet one day, and to people with certain disabilities, but I'm not really sure if I will see it in my lifetime. What is already a benefit to me is travelling long distances in safety and comfort, offloading the tiring mundane tasks of driving to the computer. TACC, AutoSteer and Lane change are maybe half the way there today, limited L3 is being allowed by the government later this year, and I expect that within maybe 3 years that will be extended up to more realistic speeds. Other than the novelty, self driving my own car round towns is just not that beneficial, not going to change my life, when it comes I won't bother owning a car.

FULL Self Driving is a marketing name not a product description, like a SUPERcharger which is slower than 350KW chargers, like a PERFORMANCE Model 3 with less than 50% battery so slower than my LR etc.

For me NOA is only really useful for nags to exit the motorway (I have nav voice off and sometimes forget where I need to exit). Other than that it’s just interesting to see how it performs when exiting/merging. I hope it’ll be more functional once EU/UK regs are eased a bit and the system can overtake etc.

Auto lane change I’ve found to be pretty good, only seems to be available on wide a roads and above however. Also looking forward to the restrictions on this being reduced.

Auto park works outside my house most days, I feel like you need to drive a bit further past the space that you normally would to get that P to appear. Going slower helps to. I’ve never really used it for bay parking, too slow and sometimes wonky.

Summon has only been handy for moving my car to fit in a space better. There’s limited space where I live so being able to move the car from outside is handy. (Never used enhanced, but didn’t expect to yet).

I’m looking forward to future updates though, that’s what the 3.4K is paying for really imo. We shall see

Phew, it's our fault. Glad that's sorted.

Not at all. Tesla don't make things easy for everyone.

A pencil looks like a very simple thing, but it takes time to learn to use. You don't pick one up for the first time and create a master piece, nor do you use one to colour the walls of a room. Likewise, Tesla driver assist features look simple, but take time to learn to use properly and you wouldn't use them in all situations.

Reactions: pow216
Just drove from GA to NJ again 800 + miles on EAP worked great and helped me to stay rested during long trip. Some people need to learn how to use technology before they claim it doesn’t work.
And some people need to realise they're posting on a regional sub section of the forum where the development and implementation of EAP is currently highly gimped. Hope this helps solve your apparent superiority complex. xx

• Funny
Reactions: Magstauk
And some people need to realise they're posting on a regional sub section of the forum where the development and implementation of EAP is currently highly gimped. Hope this helps solve your apparent superiority complex. xx
Not our problem that EU regulations suck. Don’t blame it on Tesla. My bad I didn’t see I was in different region section.