Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot - broken and overpriced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my Model 3 for a little while now and I’ve come to the conclusion that Enhanced Autopilot is hugely overpriced and mostly broken. It’s currently £3,400 for the following:

1.Navigate on Autopilot
This seems to be basically never available, I’ve not seen the option in any of my drives despite it being enabled

2. Auto Lane Change
This simply does work on my Tesla. I have all of the autopilot opinions enabled in the settings (none of the options mention this) and so far it’s never worked. I turn on the indicator when on autosteer and the line remains solid and nothing happens. I even setup a service request for this one but they just cancelled it with a message saying autopilot is always active so they didn’t actually read my request

3. Autopark
I’ve been offered this once in the 20+ times I’ve been in a car park so far

4. Summon
As far as I can tell this is basically crippled in the UK. You can move the car forward and backward when you’re standing right next to it but that’s it. The manual still talks about it being able to finish going into a space after you get out but the option just doesn’t exist in my menus (no option to disable continuous press)

So that’s £3,400 to be able to move the car backwards and forwards from my phone, sometimes. Am I crazy, is my Model 3 broken or is this just a monumental rip off?

I’ve had my Model 3 for a little while now and I’ve come to the conclusion that Enhanced Autopilot is hugely overpriced and mostly broken. It’s currently £3,400 for the following:

1.Navigate on Autopilot
This seems to be basically never available, I’ve not seen the option in any of my drives despite it being enabled

2. Auto Lane Change
This simply does work on my Tesla. I have all of the autopilot opinions enabled in the settings (none of the options mention this) and so far it’s never worked. I turn on the indicator when on autosteer and the line remains solid and nothing happens. I even setup a service request for this one but they just cancelled it with a message saying autopilot is always active so they didn’t actually read my request

3. Autopark

4. Summon
As far as I can tell this is basically crippled in the UK. You can move the car forward and backward when you’re standing right next to it but that’s it. The manual still talks about it being able to finish going into a space after you get out but the option just doesn’t exist in my menus (no option to disable continuous press)

So that’s £3,400 to be able to move the car backwards and forwards from my phone, sometimes. Am I crazy, is my Model 3 broken or is this just a monumental rip off?
1. If you have set a destination in the satnav, NoA will show blue in the directions box. It’s on but only works in certain places. Mine will take me on &off D/C’s and M’ways.
2. If you have the single blue line in front of the car on a dual carriageway or motorway, it should work. Mine sometimes works without the line. I’d flag it up again if it never works. It helps to have given the steering a nudge after indicating.
3. Never use it.
4. Summon works but is hobbled by UK regulation. At least that’s not Tesla’s fault

2. If you have the single blue line in front of the car on a dual carriageway or motorway, it should work. Mine sometimes works without the line. I’d flag it up again if it never works. It helps to have given the steering a nudge after indicating.
+1

When indicating to change lane make sure you fully press the indicator stalk (rather than half way), and ensure that you are applying pressure/resistance to the steering wheel.

There are however many roads where lane change is not enabled, there is no indicator on the display to tell you whether lane change enabled or not - you just have to try it.

It should work on all motorways, bot not necessarily all A roads (I don't know why)

I got a 2 week trial of the EAP recently and my experience and conclusions was broadly the same.

I'd add:
  • The exit motorway on autopilot was either so late I'd intervene or it did it so violently it scared the cr*p out of me.
  • The autolane changed sort of worked but the manual intervention to confirm due to current UK law means it's just pointless.
  • My attempt at auto summon in a supermarket carparket where all it needed to do was pull forward, turn right and travel a few metres had it reversing backwards and trying to then head the wrong way down a one way lane until it was to far away and it just stopped. I picked a quiet end of the car park so no risk to anyone
I'll be curious to see if between the upcoming FSD rewrite and hopefully some UK law changes this gets better, but as it currently stands my the 'drive pilot' on my previous mercedes did a better job.

In my opinion not worth paying for currently and if the upcoming subscription pricing rumours are to be believed i.e. £199 a month (apparently $199 but we seem to end up with 1:1 conversion rate with Tesla) I'm struggling to see who the hell would pay for it unless it's full level 5 self drive and can operate as an autonomous robotaxi.

Reactions: edyang

1.Navigate on Autopilot

2. Auto Lane Change

3. Autopark

4. Summon

Now just imagine if you had paid another £3,400 on top and the only extra thing the car did was stop itself at traffic lights?

If that is indeed the case I wish they would update the manual as the current downloaded manual says :
Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is
active.
Auto Lane Change (ALC) is a subset of Auto Steer (AS), in the manual there's a warning setting out the intended use scenarios for Auto Steer:

1622553029500.png

Admittedly, they've decided to warn when it shouldn't be used, rather than listing all road types where it's made available. When I've been on a motorway, I cant remember ALC being unavailable unless temporarily removed due to adverse weather conditions - the car will prompt you when this happens. Successful use of ALC is then dependant on meeting the criteria within the operation parameters. Using ALC was very much trial and error; knowing when it's available, how to correctly initiate and then understanding how the road conditions and UN/ECE rules either limit its use, or explain when it fails to complete a lane change. However this quickly becomes second nature. I bought FSD when it was a £4,800 option back in 2019 - I use it on all motorway journeys and when I know it's available and safe to use on dual carriageways. For me, it works very well, albeit with many constraints which are mainly due to the UN/ECE rules - though, suggestions these could be relaxed later this year 🤞. I feel it's well worth the £ outlay - but, as I've said in previous posts, worth and benefits derived from EAP/FSD are very much user specific.

Reactions: M3noob and GRiLLA
Am I crazy, is my Model 3 broken or is this just a monumental rip off?

You paid for it not knowing what you are (not) getting?
If so then yes, you are crazy.
If you are just wondering what you are missing then no, you ain't missing anything.

EAP and FSD are mostly for people that need to opt for every option available and pay maximum price possible to feel complete and better than the rest.

I think many are certainly disappointed with the current level that EAP and FSD is at - at the moment, to be fair I think you have to see the bigger picture - not where it all is now but where it will be in a couple of years. I cant ever see the day when Robotaxi will be viable with the current hardware in the car but surely the aspiration towards Robotaxi is a good destination to aim for.
I'm sure EAP and FSD will become so competent that there will be a big demand for subscriptions and as the system improves the purchase price will continue to rise

I think it’s just a means for Tesla to inflate the second hand values of their own cars.
Used Model 3 two years old, enable FSD and hey presto the car is worth £40k.
I would not spend any money on it. Official legal approval seems to be later this year - every year since launch.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
I think it’s just a means for Tesla to inflate the second hand values of their own cars.
Used Model 3 two years old, enable FSD and hey presto the car is worth £40k.
I would not spend any money on it. Official legal approval seems to be later this year - every year since launch.
To be fair, EAP/FSD is and has always been legally approved, its just the UK and other countries choose to abide by the UN/ECE R79.3 rules governing steering systems in road vehicles. The USA did not adopt the rules - hence the differing user experience between the, UK/Europe and our friends across the pond. Whilst Tesla and other manufactures will try to influence the UN/ECE committee, they do not make the rules and with the full committee only sitting every 6 months, change is slow :(. The US cars contain exactly the same hardware as ours, so it's not that which is stopping parity across the different regions - it's merely the regulations, and the application thereof via the software. If we had the same EAP/FSD user experience as the US, which itself still has faults, I'd wager there would be far less negativity regarding the 'benefit v's cost' debate. There are many different factors influencing what we decide to spend our money on; we're all different, have differing priorities and personal circumstances. I feel neither decision is right or wrong, so long as we've done our homework and can sleep easy knowing what we're getting for our money now, and what it 'might' become over time. For me, it was money well spent for today, with the added excitement of what 'might' be enabled in future. Though .... I do wish the EAP/FSD purchase was transferable.

Auto Lane change works fine on motorways, I use it every day and never have an issue. Worth £3400 to me.
I have to say - grumbling about FSD cost aside - I used NoA and auto lane change on a trip to Wales a while ago and it worked brilliantly.. I pretty much only had to actually drive for the start and end of the journey.

Admittedly, they've decided to warn when it shouldn't be used, rather than listing all road types where it's made available.
So I went on a different road today, one that supported NOA and it was able to do the lane changes while it was enabled.

I had previously tried to use it on a fairly major dual carriageway that doesn't support NOA and it didn't work so presumably you can only use it on roads that are NOA compatible, wish they would say that in the manual!

It would be useful if there was something on the nav which showed which roads are compatible with auto lane change and NOA as it's not just motorways but presumably only controlled access roads.

Reactions: BitJam and Louis0w
To be fair, EAP/FSD is and has always been legally approved, its just the UK and other countries choose to abide by the UN/ECE R79.3 rules governing steering systems in road vehicles.
Would be lovely if the government decided to see sense and make our own rules. Wasn't that what a big part of the Brexit campaign was based on? Doubt we'll see any changes though

Would be lovely if the government decided to see sense and make our own rules. Wasn't that what a big part of the Brexit campaign was based on? Doubt we'll see any changes though
I would completely expect UK invented rules to be far worse, we invented bureaucracy. If you read through the minutes of the UN/ECE committees it's very clear that the British representatives do more to slow and overcomplicate the process than any other country. The regulations on turns and lane change times were all proposed to be relaxed by the French about 18 months ago and the British chair has managed to keep it delayed so far.

I would completely expect UK invented rules to be far worse, we invented bureaucracy. If you read through the minutes of the UN/ECE committees it's very clear that the British representatives do more to slow and overcomplicate the process than any other country. The regulations on turns and lane change times were all proposed to be relaxed by the French about 18 months ago and the British chair has managed to keep it delayed so far.
Then clearly what we need to do is crowd fund some shiny new Teslas for anyone in the British chair, I bet that would speed up relaxing the regulations! 🤣