Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced AutoPilot (EAP) Has Returned!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EAP and FSD are truly differentiated now. EAP is now, FSD is the future -- not just in terms of functionality but also by virtue of having a free hardware upgrade path, and I have very little doubt that more advance hardware is going to be needed for full FSD.

OTOH, the subscription covers a a lot of trips before buying EAP is covered. My main hesitancy at spending money on any of these choices is that potholes are ignored. I can barely stand letting my wife drive on trips because she appears to be attracted to potholes; I'm not inclined to pay for the privilege. I suppose the main difference is that she is right lane hugger which makes everything worse. If EAP will drive in the middle lane I'm probably going to buy it.

Last edited:
I’ll probably go for it. I make a grandkid visit run from NE Mississippi to small town just W of Chicago about every 4-6 weeks. 11 hrs door to door including 3-4 SC stops depending on temp and wind. Subscribed a couple times and appreciated it but because of trip timing I found I’d pretty much have to leave the subscription on constantly. Break-even is 2.5 years.

Cool. Looks like I had made the right decision to go for the $5000 EAP option when I bought my Model 3.

Good decision by Tesla.

I don’t have ‘smart’ summon which is now available in the $6000 package, but then, the number of moments I have actually wished to summon my car to me over the last 4 years have been… may be one. 😏

Reactions: ArtK
Woweee! That’s expensive!

Figures.... 4 days after I take delivery. I still think $200 per month when I need to use it is a better value.
Yeah, you can rent FSD for 30 months for the price of EAP.

I mainly want to reengage auto steer after lane change.

it seems to me this $6k EAP doesn't have the traffic light feature.
That is correct. Traffic light view, chime is only in FSD.

Last edited:
I mainly want to reengage auto steer after lane change.

That was what I missed the most on my 4 hour drives to the big city. Then I found out all you need to do is turn on your signal, ease into the next lane, then double-tap the stalk to turn it back on. It's a bit easier, but still clunky.

My question about EAP is what the visualizations look like going forward. I had the beta and really miss that too when I traded for a PY.

That was what I missed the most on my 4 hour drives to the big city. Then I found out all you need to do is turn on your signal, ease into the next lane, then double-tap the stalk to turn it back on. It's a bit easier, but still clunky.

My question about EAP is what the visualizations look like going forward. I had the beta and really miss that too when I traded for a PY.
That’s what I do now X version - turn signal, change lanes, and double click right scroll button to reengage auto steer.

But I remember a Nissan I rented in 2019 that maintained auto steer in cruise while changing lanes. Very nice feature!

That’s what I do now X version - turn signal, change lanes, and double click right scroll button to reengage auto steer.

But I remember a Nissan I rented in 2019 that maintained auto steer in cruise while changing lanes. Very nice feature!
I do the turn signal, change lanes, and hit the s3xy button I have mounted on the back left spoke of my steering wheel. It turns off the turn signal and re-engages AP... hell of a lot cheaper than $6000 and virtually as functional.

Keith

Figures.... 4 days after I take delivery. I still think $200 per month when I need to use it is a better value.
Stupid price. Give me auto lane change for $500. Everything else is a gimmick.
I have had EAP on my 20 MYLR (w Radar) since it was initially offered, and find the auto lane-change feature to generally be intrusive and unnecessary. In a 10 minute period it may recommend up to 5 lane changes, often without any real logistical benefit. I tend to ignore those recommendations most of the time because they offer no advantage. I do find Navigate On Autopilot to be a fun and useful feature. It should also be pointed out that EAP users only pay $100.00 per month to rent FSD.

I have had EAP on my 20 MYLR (w Radar) since it was initially offered, and find the auto lane-change feature to generally be intrusive and unnecessary. In a 10 minute period it may recommend up to 5 lane changes, often without any real logistical benefit. I tend to ignore those recommendations most of the time because they offer no advantage. I do find Navigate On Autopilot to be a fun and useful feature. It should also be pointed out that EAP users only pay $100.00 per month to rent FSD.
Is there a mode where you change lanes but maintain auto steer?

You can turn off the change lane suggestion prompts?

Reactions: ArtK
Is there a mode where you change lanes but maintain auto steer?

You can turn off the change lane suggestion prompts?
When I a utilizing Navigate On Autopilot, Auto Lane Changes do not switch off autopilot — (tapping the brake or steering to deviate from the recommended lane/route will switch off autopilot. If you want to change lanes and it was not recommended by the car, you hold down or up on the turn signal and the car will automatically change lanes for you when safe, without disabling autopilot.

You can fully adjust Lane Change Notification, Require Lane Change Confirmation, and authorize Speed Based Lane Changes from the Autopilot menu.