Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot (EAP) is upgrade to FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn, I ordered a YSR with FSD (AUD 10.100), but mainly for the autopark and summon (narrow garage), so EAP would have been a much better deal.
But I bet changing from FSD to EAP will put be in the back of the queue.
It's a software change, so not necessarily. Reach out to your Tesla sales centre, somebody here recently changed colour via email confirmation and it didn't change their EDD.

I do a fair bit of highway driving and our Model X has FSD (so operating at EAP I guess) and our Model 3 has standard AP.

- Summon is a crap
- Smart Summon, does that even work?
- Auto park, nearly never shows as available
- NAV on autopilot is annoying
- Lane change great

I wouldn’t and won’t pay $5k for lane change.
I also thought that Summon was crap until I realised that it can be activated from a keyfob. Tesla app often doesn’t connect, but the keyfob works every time.

Used smart summon once, it’s a gimmick, I wouldn’t trust it to navigate a buzy carpark.

Reverse parking is bad, but parallel parking works really well, much better than I can do it, except it only shows as available ~50% of the time

I turn NOAP on from time to time to check progress. There has been some improvement, but it’s still net negative

It's a software change, so not necessarily. Reach out to your Tesla sales centre, somebody here recently changed colour via email confirmation and it didn't change their EDD.
It was me who changed colour via email. SA confirmed no impact in place in queue. The theory is changes are fine before VIN is assigned, but best to check with your SA.

Damn, I ordered a YSR with FSD (AUD 10.100), but mainly for the autopark and summon (narrow garage), so EAP would have been a much better deal.
But I bet changing from FSD to EAP will put be in the back of the queue.

Did you order before the price rise? If you did its likely by changing back to EAP you will pay the current price for the car which would negate most of the 5k saving going from FSD to EAP.

I was going to add EAP to our order (orignally had just the standard autopilot) and was told the new pricing would apply if we changed.

Did you order before the price rise? If you did its likely by changing back to EAP you will pay the current price for the car which would negate most of the 5k saving going from FSD to EAP.

I was going to add EAP to our order (orignally had just the standard autopilot) and was told the new pricing would apply if we changed.
I ordered my model 3 LR in Jan and price has gone up a fair bit since. Original order was in red, have just dropped the red and gone standard white. My updated order shows all prices as per original order, but with the charge for red just dropped off.

Yes I did. Ya, sounds like that would apply in this case as well. Ah well, I'm alright with my current order. It's just some sort of reverse FOMO knowing there could have been a cheaper option.

Yeah I am starting to think that the only thing I would like is the lane changing and $5 big ones is not good value. I will try it for 48hrs. Sorry Elon.
I was about to ask if the EAP purchase has a cooling off/trial period like the Acceleration Boost does. Is that what you are saying with the 48 hour comment? Is there a trial period with it that anyone can confirm?

TasDoc (or anyone else), How does it work? you indicate and the car does the rest? Also does it only work on highways, or anywhere AP can be used?
Thanks!
And I would also ask that if you are doing navigate on autopilot does it do things like overtake automatically if the car in front is doing under the speed limit etc. i.e. Auto lane change to go past and then auto lane change to get back in the left lane.

And I would also ask that if you are doing navigate on autopilot does it do things like overtake automatically if the car in front is doing under the speed limit etc. i.e. Auto lane change to go past and then auto lane change to get back in the left lane.

Yes.

With EAP/FSD, you can configure your Navigation on Autopilot to make all the decisions for you from the entry ramp, to various interchanges, to the exit ramp: It will turn on the signal light and change lanes on its own, pass the slow car in front then get off the the passing lane to get in front of that car...

However, I turn it off and use the plain Autopilot instead. Less drama, less stressful that way.

• Helpful
Reactions: muddie
So here's a thought. Instead of A$5k for EAP with 5 features, how about A$1k per feature?
I might be inclined to purchase Lane Change for A$1k but not spend A$5k for a package of 5 features, 4 of which I don't think I'm interested in.
Overall, would Tesla sell more A$1k upgrades than selling the entire EAP package at A$5k? I wonder.

Yes.

With EAP/FSD, you can configure your Navigation on Autopilot to make all the decisions for you from the entry ramp, to various interchanges, to the exit ramp: It will turn on the signal light and change lanes on its own, pass the slow car in front then get off the the passing lane to get in front of that car...

However, I turn it off and use the plain Autopilot instead. Less drama, less stressful that way.
+1 I find EAP just not quite right. Yes it overtakes slower cars, and yes it moves back into the left lane when done etc but each time you have to acknowledge the manoeuvre, and it does not look as far ahead as a human so you end up doing more work with the acknowledgements than if you just drove yourself

TasDoc (or anyone else), How does it work? you indicate and the car does the rest? Also does it only work on highways, or anywhere AP can be used?
Thanks!
Yes, you indicate and the car does the rest. Can be used anywhere where there’s lane marking, I just tend not to use it in tight city traffic as it doesn’t feel comfortable

Last edited:
+1 I find EAP just not quite right. Yes it overtakes slower cars, and yes it moves back into the left lane when done etc but each time you have to acknowledge the manoeuvre, and it does not look as far ahead as a human so you end up doing more work with the acknowledgements than if you just drove yourself
Sorry that I was describing no confirmation needed in the US but in other markets, humans still have to input confirmations.

But either way, it's decisions are often irrational so I paid for fsd just to turn Navigation on Autopilot off.

On top of all that EAP is crazy in that it is always trying to go back in to the left lane even when one can clearly see in 50m it will want to pull back out again etc. So it is back and forth zig zagging all over the place and basically pissing everyone off in the car....we ALWAYS just disable it....so it is really just purely lane change without being deactivated out of AP that we use in the EAP part of FSD....no way I'd pay $5,100 for this feature alone (given things like Summon is crap, auto-parking virtually never works etc.).

Thanks everyone. EcoCloud: thanks great description, I couldnt use it like that, wow, definitely not worth it at the moment.

I wonder if EAP will be updated with the FSD stack at some point, I know Elon said they aim to move to a single stack but who knows when/if that happens. If the stated features of EAP actually worked, then that sounds like my perfect feature set, I don’t want FSD for city traffic just for highway.