Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's currently exactly the same as FSD but with the total rewrite that's been announced some are speculating that it'll be different, personally I can't see tesla will want to have more code bases than they need and I'd guess that it will be easier for them to update/enhance FSD if they have data from the vehicles without FSD
So they will diverge when the FSD re-write is release, then in time become the same again?
You're probably right.

I'm pretty sure the science in the pricing is no more than maximising the formula over time

price x take up

If they're behind on profitability a little they can (maybe they just did) drop the price or split the function and get a little surge in take up and its all profit. £3,400 - call oit $4k, and lets say 10k owners globally bought it (1% of owners?), thats $40M straight to the bottom line. They made $100M Q2 2020 so a figure like that could easily be material at the end of this quarter.

I did hope they would do a discount on the FSD than offer EAP. They would have made a lot more IMO.

I just tested it today. One thing that was surprising, I thought it would automatically change lanes on its own. Its actually still just waiting for you to signal.. So really all it does is waiting for the signal to autosteer?

It is freaking out quite a lot aswell. Got a couple of failed to Manouver error

You know if they had a roadmap for that FSD will have, I'd have more confidence getting it.. Just being left in the dark is probably putting a lot of people like me on the fence here..

Also..... is the TACC not available on EAP? Speed limit changed, but car just driving at previous speed... Could be that stretch.. Just want to make sure.

Want for the car to change the speed limit in average speed limit zones I hope!!

You know if they had a roadmap for that FSD will have,

They do, it's just not all in once place:

* Traffic lights - complete - FSD locked feature
* City streens - soon TM - FSD locked feature
* Motorway speed signs - next software release going out now 2020.40.0.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates
* Re-write - releasing early next year - some indeterminate improvement overall due to ML and 4D environment mapping
* Roundabouts - when all the above is complete

A lot of these features improve with overall software improvements, so a "road-map" is not set in stone.

Changing UN regulations so AP turn speed isn't nerfed - some time this century - we hope

is the TACC not available on EAP?

It is available in EAP

The tesla seems to freak out and speed into the roundabout..

They don't have roundabouts in America...

You can also read this summary for Elon promises Tesla Upcoming Features - Tesla Software Updates

Do we know if this will be in EAP or only FSD?

Speed signs is for everything TACC, AP, EAP and FSD. All safety related features are generally free. Even if you dont use AP/FSD it will still steer the car out of a crash if it can. In case of speed signs, it there are multiple nag levels. (btw pressing on the speed sign sets TACC/AP/EAP/FSD to that speed)

Tesla do not reserve features unless its specifically a paid for addition and you knew about it at purchase. I suppose you could argue that "city street driving" wasnt a thing a year ago, but advanced "FSD" features are always going to be part of that package.

They will charge extra for "full self drive" features and any "premium" fatures you chose not to pay for by going with a trimm level at purchase - such as rear heated seats.

But everything else has essentially been free so far. Regen to hold, Sentury mode, extra reversing cameras, joe mode, games etc.

Yes sorry, I meant whether the cruise control will adapt based on the traffic signs on the motorway (i.e. reduced speed limit). Single carriage/dual carriage, etc..

In MS, we can't touch the speed sign, but if I pull the cruise control handle for 2 seconds, it applies the new speed limit. Really want the car to automatically drop the speed limit based on the speed limit sign. Will test it on the motorway tomorrow with EAP

Yes sorry, I meant whether the cruise control will adapt based on the traffic signs on the motorway

Maybe? Not sure if thats a great idea unless there is noone behind you.

I think it lowers the speed on small roads, but thats because its set to "max" speed that is lower thann what you are driving at. For example going from a 40 to a 30. 30 would be "max" on TACC/AP in a 30 zone.

While the max on motorways in 90.... Someone doing 90 going into a 50... yeah... (not saying that anyone would ever do 90 :rolleyes:)

Might be cool to have an option to slowly slow down (not full-regen slow down) to speed limit + 10%

I bought the EAP upgrade a couple of nights ago and used it to drive to work yesterday (40 miles each way on the A34).

The technology clearly works but (and I know I am not the first to say this) it is rendered useless by the nagging. I am going to ask for a refund today.

Specifically, if you get a nudge steering wheel nag at the same time you get a confirm with turn signal nag for the auto lane change, the car doesn't do anything. This happens at least 1 in 3 times in my experience yesterday. Surely getting a positive confirmation the driver is awake from the turn signal is enough in this instance. If the nag pops up while the car is half way through the manoeuvre then most of the time when I nudge the wheel autopilot disengages. If I always have to be ready to do two things at once then I might as well make the turn myself. It's a shame.

Change my mind!

Reactions: Yachtsman
If you just nudge the wheel before indicating it works flawlessly. I bought the upgrade, tested it and then cancelled it. I then drove for a week with basic autopilot and the engaging/disengaging autopilot was very annoying. It had never bothered me prior to testing EAP. I upgraded again a few days ago and have no regrets.

You won't get nudge nags unless you're going out of your way to let the car drive itself, i.e. no hands on the wheel. In my experience it takes negligible force to confirm your presence so if you're getting nags constantly or the pulsing blue border thing I'd wager you're going out of your way to "show off" the self driving.

Just my 2p.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jeeves
The nags do seem a bit arbitrary. Only last week, I drove the same stretch road twice. The first trip nagged regularly but the second trip went 15 minutes without a single nag. It might even have been more as it was a while before I thought of timing them.
The second trip did have little traffic.
Could it just be that my holding the wheel was unknowingly a little more aggressive?
It’s not the first time I’ve not been nagged for quite some distance.

maybe my nag account is in credit :D

If you just nudge the wheel before indicating it works flawlessly.

The main problem is when the "confirm lane change" nag comes on, you take your eyes off the screen for a split second and then the "nudge wheel" nag comes on while you are in the process of checking mirrors etc to indicate. You find yourself wondering why nothing is happening, only to look back at the screen to do that.

I'd wager you're going out of your way to "show off" the self driving.

That's right, I'm trying to use the car as intended - to not have to constantly engage with it. I have a year of driving on normal autopilot to and from work. I am not "showing off" to anyone. Normally as I approach slower traffic I would indicate, make the move, pull back to the inside lane and reengage AP. What I saw yesterday was that it would make a suggested lane change sometimes too early, I would have to override that, check the traffic anyway before making a move myself and sometimes then have to force it back into the inside lane and then reengage AP again. And that is without the nag issue. If I am doing this on a regular basis then the upgrade is not worth 3.4k (the summon and autopark I am not interested in).